study for 2 months or 6 months?

thisone2014

Re: study for 2 months or 6 months?

Postby thisone2014 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:14 am

Last edited by thisone2014 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blueprint Ben

Postby Blueprint Ben » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:32 pm

boaltlaw wrote:Hello, I am in a very strange situation. I am currently a junior in undergrad.

I want to take lsat prep with blueprint. The goal was to study for 3 months and take it in Oct 3, so basically studying from June 15th to then would give me around 3 1/2 months. Well, the only time they offer the prep course (for any one close to me) is Jul 26, and I feel that 2 months is not enough to study for the Oct lsat.

The other option would be to take the spring course and self study. The spring course starts on April 4th and ends around June 6th, meaning I would have 2 months of prep course and 4 months of self study. I'm not really sure if that is too much time/too spread out. Conversely, I don't think 8-9 weeks is enough for Oct, and postponing till december would be too long (want to apply early and be competitive for my cycle).

I have over a 4.0 lsac gpa and as strong softs as any k-jd can have, so anything other than top 6 would be a disappointment. The goal is to get into hys, so I really need help in optimizing my lsat score.

what would you recommend I do?

Hey Boalt,

First of all, solid choice.

Echoing what a number of the posters here have said, I think you'd be much better off if you took the course at the beginning of your prep period and gave yourself a few months to fine-tune your skills on your own between the end of the course and the October LSAT.

The fact of the matter is that there is no such thing as "too much time" spent studying for the LSAT. The more time you study, the better off you will be. (And you very well may need that time. Personally, it took me over a year to break into the 170s, which is what you'll need for HYS.) The reason I think it's better to take the course at the beginning of your prep is because the value of the course might be diminished if you learn different methods before you start studying the Blueprint way. The BP methods are excellent, and I think they would give you a really strong foundation. Your months of self-study after the course will be more effective because you learned those methods from the outset.

tl;dr - Take it in the spring.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Blueprint or anything else!

- BP Ben

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:40 pm

Don't make a decision to study for 2 months or 6 months. Study until you don't think anymore studying will make a difference. Then take the test.

Blueprint Ben

Postby Blueprint Ben » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Nomo wrote:Don't make a decision to study for 2 months or 6 months. Study until you don't think anymore studying will make a difference. Then take the test.

Totally agree.

Also, OP: Something I failed to mention in my last post is that all live BP classes now come with the online course. So even if you decide to take the later course leading up to the October LSAT, you'll have access to the online course the minute you enroll. So you could work through the online course first, and then use the live class for review and fine tuning, if you would prefer to do it that way.

Again, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”