detailed study plan - switching between subjects?

jayashae

detailed study plan - switching between subjects?

Postby jayashae » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:12 pm

sorry I'm sure this has been posted here but I guess my keyword searches are off.

How did you guys study on a day by day basis? I'm working a full time job (usually 9-6) so I'm studying 4 hour ish daily, but I'm not sure what an effective way of balancing the subjects are. I.e., today I went through the Manhattan LR assumptions chapter, but didn't get to really practice/drill. I'm sure if I don't do these questions tomorrow and switch to LG I will lose some stuff I gained.

How did you guys successfully balance your studying among the 3 subjects? I'm primarily focusing on the LR and LG sections and reading the economist articles and annotating main idea for RC for now. Planning on the June exam

Thanks

msp8

Re: detailed study plan - switching between subjects?

Postby msp8 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:17 pm

I focused on learning one subject at a time, until I had a solid base to work from there.

So I started with Logic Games, and the Games Bible, then continued drilling/practicing until I had some level of comfort.

Then did the same with LR.

Then RC, which was fast since books are quick on that section.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:05 pm

msp8 wrote:I focused on learning one subject at a time, until I had a solid base to work from there.

So I started with Logic Games, and the Games Bible, then continued drilling/practicing until I had some level of comfort.

Then did the same with LR.

Then RC, which was fast since books are quick on that section.

This time 1000

Blueprint Ben

Postby Blueprint Ben » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:09 pm

Hey OP,

Just wanted to jump in here to offer a contrasting view:

I really think it would be a better use of your time to study all three sections roughly equally and simultaneously. Particularly at the beginning of your prep, you're learning a lot of skills that are transferable across the sections. For instance, as your LG skills improve, it will likely have an impact on your LR game too (e.g., you'll become faster at visualizing conditional relationships, etc). RC and LR skills are also transferable -- you'll begin to see improvements in your reading speed and your ability to recognize argumentative structure, which are foundational skills in both sections.

In the beginning, you want to capitalize on that progress as much as possible by dividing your study time roughly equally among the 3 sections. Your skills will multiply exponentially, and you won't have to re-learn anything you forgot because, let's say, you haven't touched a logic game in over a month. It will make your study time much more efficient, and it will get you to your target score more quickly.

Best of luck with your prep, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

- BP Ben

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”