Finding LSAT Prep Tests

nv93

Finding LSAT Prep Tests

Postby nv93 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:03 pm

I am looking to find free lawful methods (don't want to download files illegally) of obtaining practice LSATs besides buying a few books. I had to push back my LSAT from December to February since I was involved in an auto accident. Each time I look online, I find only the 2007 June LSAT from places like Princeton Review. I took that one twice, back in May 2014 (got a 143 blind without studying anything) and once in December 2014 (2nd ever prep test, couldn't study because I was busy with work and school and had to push back studying because of my auto accident).

I got a 152 on that one but that was just with studying Logic Games. I registered for an online Kaplan one, but it's almost 2 weeks till the exam. I want to do about 10 prep tests to boost my 152 to 160 now that I have done all 3 sections and I have a decent grasp of the material. I think Reading Comp is my strongest section too.

Do you guys feel it is mission impossible to explore a 8 point jump? I really need that 160 to compliment my solid GPA. Is taking the same exam twice (not knowingly until after you print out the 2nd exam and take it a few minutes in like half a year later) a bad indicator?

Thanks for your time. Bear with me since I am new to this site and try to get acquainted with how other fellow members post on these forums.

nlee10

Re: Finding LSAT Prep Tests

Postby nlee10 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:15 pm

You gotta pay $$ to see more PT's OP.

nv93

Postby nv93 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:30 pm

nlee10 wrote:You gotta pay $$ to see more PT's OP.

]

Figures, just thought people would know some workarounds since those practice tests can get a little pricey if you want a good number from a reputable site in a quick period of time.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:35 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:36 pm

nv93 wrote:

]

Figures, just thought people would know some workarounds since those practice tests can get a little pricey if you want a good number from a reputable site in a quick period of time.

and to answer your other question. A 8 point increase (possibly more because the 152 was a retake) is a tough feat with only 2 weeks. Consider postponing till June.

NonTradLawHopeful

Postby NonTradLawHopeful » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:48 pm

OP, have you done any other studying in preparation for this test? If not, a 160 will be very difficult. I agree you should postpone til June and get 4 solid months of studying in. FYI, Amazon sells packs of 10 tests for less than $3 per test.

nv93

Postby nv93 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:27 pm

NonTradLawHopeful wrote:OP, have you done any other studying in preparation for this test? If not, a 160 will be very difficult. I agree you should postpone til June and get 4 solid months of studying in. FYI, Amazon sells packs of 10 tests for less than $3 per test.

Yes, I have. Used the Power Score LSAT Bible. Finished most of the books off. Just in Reading Comp right now w/ the Diversity reading section. So pretty much covered everything from Linear to Advanced Linear/Grouping in Logic Games, everything excluding Formal Logic in the Logical Reasoning, and what I said about Reading Comp. I think a 157-160 is attainable because I am a quick learner and 10 tests ought to put me in the right mindset for the test. I can't postpone to June since most of the schools I want to attend require a Feb 2015 one at the latest. I blame my accident for my inadequate time to prepare. I want to go to UF if anything. Just get myself in with the least amount of debt possible. With my resume, strong letters, and my writing skills, I feel like I can compensate for a 157 if anything.

nv93

Postby nv93 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:28 pm

nlee10 wrote:
nv93 wrote:

]

and to answer your other question. A 8 point increase (possibly more because the 152 was a retake) is a tough feat with only 2 weeks. Consider postponing till June.

Can't. Senior in college, parents pushing me to take the LSAT now. My only other option is a GRE and going to an elite private school for a masters in Poly Sci or a masters in International Relations.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:31 pm

nv93 wrote:
NonTradLawHopeful wrote:OP, have you done any other studying in preparation for this test? If not, a 160 will be very difficult. I agree you should postpone til June and get 4 solid months of studying in. FYI, Amazon sells packs of 10 tests for less than $3 per test.

Yes, I have. Used the Power Score LSAT Bible. Finished most of the books off. Just in Reading Comp right now w/ the Diversity reading section. So pretty much covered everything from Linear to Advanced Linear/Grouping in Logic Games, everything excluding Formal Logic in the Logical Reasoning, and what I said about Reading Comp. I think a 157-160 is attainable because I am a quick learner and 10 tests ought to put me in the right mindset for the test. I can't postpone to June since most of the schools I want to attend require a Feb 2015 one at the latest. I blame my accident for my inadequate time to prepare. I want to go to UF if anything. Just get myself in with the least amount of debt possible. With my resume, strong letters, and my writing skills, I feel like I can compensate for a 157 if anything.

You are approaching studying from the wrong perspective. You take PTs once you are solid on the fundamentals and you then need to work on timing. If you are at <160 you have not mastered the fundamentals. Focus your efforts on reviewing the bibles/manhattan and then DRILLING. Once those are complete, you can move to PTs. But you are not yet ready to be taking full PTs.

nv93 wrote:
nlee10 wrote:
nv93 wrote:

]

Can't. Senior in college, parents pushing me to take the LSAT now. My only other option is a GRE and going to an elite private school for a masters in Poly Sci or a masters in International Relations.

Ignore your parents. They have no idea what the legal profession is like right now. If they did, they would tell you not to take the LSAT until you were getting 170+ averages on PTs.
Last edited by malleus discentium on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:33 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
nv93 wrote:

You are approaching studying from the wrong perspective. You take PTs once you are solid on the fundamentals and you then need to work on timing. If you are at <160 you have not mastered the fundamentals. Focus your efforts on reviewing the bibles/manhattan and then DRILLING. Once those are complete, you can move to PTs. But you are not yet ready to be taking full PTs.

+1 and recommend taking a gap year.

nv93

Postby nv93 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:55 pm

nv93 wrote:
nlee10 wrote:
nv93 wrote:

]

Ignore your parents. They have no idea what the legal profession is like right now. If they did, they would tell you not to take the LSAT until you were getting 170+ averages on PTs.[/quote]

Not interested in going to Big Law as of now. I am mainly interested in International Law, Corporate and Securities, or other forms of contract or tort law. I did work in a law firm and have an established relationship with the firm's owner. I do also have several other lawyers that are friends with my family. I just want to get into UF. A 160 is what I want. I have the time and energy to study. Forget delaying. I just want to get myself in the right mindset to get what I need. Even a 5 point jump wouldn't be an issue since that gets me into FSU. My writing ability, resume, GPA, letters of rec, and minority status ought to help me equate for any point adjusting.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:01 am

nv93 wrote:Not interested in going to Big Law as of now. I am mainly interested in International Law, Corporate and Securities, or other forms of contract or tort law. I did work in a law firm and have an established relationship with the firm's owner. I do also have several other lawyers that are friends with my family. I just want to get into UF. A 160 is what I want. I have the time and energy to study. Forget delaying. I just want to get myself in the right mindset to get what I need. Even a 5 point jump wouldn't be an issue since that gets me into FSU. My writing ability, resume, GPA, letters of rec, and minority status ought to help me equate for any point adjusting.

Your quoting got a little messy. :wink:

What's your gpa? It's conventional TLS wisdom that aside from a select top few schools, your LSAT and GPA are what is getting you in.

nv93

Postby nv93 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:02 am

nlee10 wrote:
nv93 wrote:Not interested in going to Big Law as of now. I am mainly interested in International Law, Corporate and Securities, or other forms of contract or tort law. I did work in a law firm and have an established relationship with the firm's owner. I do also have several other lawyers that are friends with my family. I just want to get into UF. A 160 is what I want. I have the time and energy to study. Forget delaying. I just want to get myself in the right mindset to get what I need. Even a 5 point jump wouldn't be an issue since that gets me into FSU. My writing ability, resume, GPA, letters of rec, and minority status ought to help me equate for any point adjusting.

Your quoting got a little messy. :wink:

What's your gpa? It's conventional TLS wisdom that aside from a select top few schools, your LSAT and GPA are what is getting you in.

3.6, or 3.58 LSAC recalculated. It's good relative to my options for law schools. It might below average here, but I am looking in the state of Florida for most of my schooling options. I always can go across the boarder to Canada, but I cannot take the cold, so I'll stay put in my home state. PS, I am amenable to a LSAT in June, it's just that I want to get the best package and school possible. If Iowa, Georgia, UNC, Alabama, or Arizona State take June LSATs, then I am in. If not, I will try to take my talents to the best parts possible.

PoopNpants

Postby PoopNpants » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:24 am

What kinda minority are ya?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:42 am

nv93 wrote:Not interested in going to Big Law as of now. I am mainly interested in International Law, Corporate and Securities, or other forms of contract or tort law.

This is the most comical line I've seen so far this year.

OP, you're a mess. You need to stop being immature and settling for mediocrity. You're frantically rushing into a bad situation.

Asians aren't URM's and you will get no admissions bump.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:27 am

Dirigo wrote:
nv93 wrote:Not interested in going to Big Law as of now. I am mainly interested in International Law, Corporate and Securities, or other forms of contract or tort law.

This is the most comical line I've seen so far this year.

OP, you're a mess. You need to stop being immature and settling for mediocrity. You're frantically rushing into a bad situation.

Asians aren't URM's and you will get no admissions bump.

+1
Sorry kid, but we don't get any admission bumps. Study hard for the June or Oct LSAT and apply early '15-'16 cycle.

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:44 am

nv93 wrote:3.6, or 3.58 LSAC recalculated. It's good relative to my options for law schools. It might below average here, but I am looking in the state of Florida for most of my schooling options. I always can go across the boarder to Canada, but I cannot take the cold, so I'll stay put in my home state. PS, I am amenable to a LSAT in June, it's just that I want to get the best package and school possible. If Iowa, Georgia, UNC, Alabama, or Arizona State take June LSATs, then I am in. If not, I will try to take my talents to the best parts possible.

You won't take your talents to the best place possible if you take the Feb exam and try to apply this year. All of the advice you will get here will tell you wait until June to take the test and apply next fall. Schools won't take June scores for this application cycle, and if they do then they are probably desperate to fill their spots and they won't offer much money.
And sure you might be smart but a 8 point increase is asking for a lot in 2 weeks.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:38 am

nv93 wrote:Can't. Senior in college, parents pushing me to take the LSAT now. My only other option is a GRE and going to an elite private school for a masters in Poly Sci or a masters in International Relations.

nv93 wrote:3.6, or 3.58 LSAC recalculated. It's good relative to my options for law schools. It might below average here, but I am looking in the state of Florida for most of my schooling options. I always can go across the boarder to Canada, but I cannot take the cold, so I'll stay put in my home state. PS, I am amenable to a LSAT in June, it's just that I want to get the best package and school possible. If Iowa, Georgia, UNC, Alabama, or Arizona State take June LSATs, then I am in. If not, I will try to take my talents to the best parts possible.

a bit contradictory... at this point sitting out and taking ur time to really improve will get you the "best package & possible" and sitting out and pushing hard is the right mindset you need... your current one of rushing into this to ensure ur kjd thinking you'll get what you want is far from the right thought process... listen to everyone else, sit your parents down and really talk to them and explain that LS is not as simple as a process as getting into UG and much more important

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:48 am

Dirigo wrote:

Other than tort law, where do you think people do these kinds of jobs other than biglaw? (For international, I'm talking about the jobs that exist and more than 4 HYS grads get each year.)

NL2424

Postby NL2424 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:29 am

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”