Manhattan LR vs Powerscore LR bible

jayashae

Manhattan LR vs Powerscore LR bible

Postby jayashae » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:37 pm

I have the latter, and although everyone on here seems to rave about it, I feel like it doesn't explain each individual problem types thoroughly.

Can anyone who've owned both the manhattan LR and the LRB give a comparison?

Dr. Nefario

Re: Manhattan LR vs Powerscore LR bible

Postby Dr. Nefario » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:42 pm

I had powerscore and used it, loved it. However, I recently got Manhattan LR, and though I'm only halfway through it, it is superior IMO. It explains NA and SA so much better the LRB and the problem types are explained thoroughly enough that I feel a strong improvement after a week.

jayashae

Postby jayashae » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:44 pm

Thanks for your input! I haven't been on these forums very long, but what's SA and NA? Please excuse my ignorance

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:58 pm

jayashae wrote:Thanks for your input! I haven't been on these forums very long, but what's SA and NA? Please excuse my ignorance

No worries, necessary assumption and sufficient assumption. I thought I understood assumptions really well after PRB, but I was still missing assumption questions in practice. After reading the Manhattan LR book, I realized I had misunderstood the difference in the question stems for NA and SA questions.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:59 pm

jayashae wrote:Thanks for your input! I haven't been on these forums very long doing LSAT, but what's SA and NA? Please excuse my ignorance

Sufficient/Necessary Assumption

eta:scooped

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:14 pm

jayashae wrote:I have the latter, and although everyone on here seems to rave about it, I feel like it doesn't explain each individual problem types thoroughly.

Can anyone who've owned both the manhattan LR and the LRB give a comparison?

I had this exact thread a few weeks ago.i had about five or six comments, and everyone shamelessly scolded me for even thinking about putting Powerscore up against Manhattan lol..jk a little. Manhattan is the way to go.

jayashae

Postby jayashae » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:08 pm

oh really, glad to know most of you think it's better :o

I will stop by barnes today and do a flip-through

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:23 am

Going through the Manhattan guide right now. I have the bible but haven't looked it over yet, so this really isn't a comparison, but... Manhattan is spectacular. Have to agree with Raider- how they describe NA/SA has already probably upped my score a point or two. Especially on tougher questions with no obvious answer, their plug it in (SA) or negate (NA) really helps. Also, knowing what your looking for from the question stem is a huge boost. Never thought about that before Manhattan.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:57 am

Powerscore is only better in one light and that is giving certain logical concepts names - all of the fallacies listed and organized by name. This isn't all that important, but they do a great job with it.

Manhattan explains LR to the extent that a middle school student would be able to understand it. It's very fluid in terms of the transition from comprehension of concepts to application when drilling. Manhattan is the way to go.

I increased my score by about 10 points from using the Manhattan guides, followed up with LSAT Trainer and then a few hellish months of nothing but drilling.

Good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”