Anxiety+ADHD: Realistic Expectations for LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Re: Anxiety+ADHD: Realistic Expectations for LSAT?

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:41 pm

ashca2014 wrote:Thank you to everyone who offered serious responses! I appreciate the advice...and encouragement is always helpful in my book. ^_^
I hid the ball a little bit in my response. My "cold diagnostic" was an actual LSAT administration. That's right, I was the idiot who thought I could just waltz in there. You are already in a great place by knowing what you're up against and being willing to conquer it.

ashca2014

New

Post by ashca2014 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:46 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:
ashca2014 wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:
ashca2014 wrote: First of all, I am female.

Secondly, you are clearly narrow minded and immature. I provided a few legitimate tidbits about my situation in an effort to obtain some advice from those who may have had similar experiences. You are entitled to your beliefs about the way Americans deal with mental health issues and psychiatric care...but to generalize every person and story you come across only serves to demonstrate your callous ignorance. You know nothing about my family history, childhood experiences, etc.
The poster was being hilarious, not serious. Satire much?
I see. You might be surprised how often people in my situation are met with attitudes exactly like that, by people who delude themselves into believing they're just offering some "realistic compassion."
Understandable. If you re-read the the joke I think you'll pick up on the over-the-top clues this time around.
I definitely see it now. It's 3:40am where I am, and I just hopped online because I couldn't sleep (I know...genius sleep hygiene technique). Didn't intend to respond to anything until tomorrow, I was just skimming through responses...but when I saw her's I was propelled into the realm of "oh, helllll no!"

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:27 pm

ashca2014 wrote:I definitely see it now. It's 3:40am where I am, and I just hopped online because I couldn't sleep (I know...genius sleep hygiene technique). Didn't intend to respond to anything until tomorrow, I was just skimming through responses...but when I saw her's I was propelled into the realm of "oh, helllll no!"
I was kidding. Sorry you took it personally. Thank you, Lieut. I'm glad you found my response humorous.

I also apologize for misrepresenting your gender, ashca. Given our patriarcal society, I always default to the male pronoun.

Here's a serious response from someone who also suffers from crippling testing anxiety: No, I'm not medicated for it. But, aside from the obvious response of getting your skills to a level where everything will become second nature - I found that breathing exercises help. Learn to talk yourself down when you feel yourself spiraling out. To that end, I will suggest a bubbling technique, which is something often overlooked when it comes to actual advice on these boards. When you're bubbling, bubble in chunks. So, for example: For RC: after each passage; for LR: after every 2 pages; for LG: after each game. It'll give you a few seconds to take a break from the test and relax. Those few seconds helped me collect myself.

PhilippeStandingOnIt

New

Post by PhilippeStandingOnIt » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:42 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
ashca2014 wrote:I definitely see it now. It's 3:40am where I am, and I just hopped online because I couldn't sleep (I know...genius sleep hygiene technique). Didn't intend to respond to anything until tomorrow, I was just skimming through responses...but when I saw her's I was propelled into the realm of "oh, helllll no!"
I was kidding. Sorry you took it personally. Thank you, Lieut. I'm glad you found my response humorous.

I also apologize for misrepresenting your gender, ashca. Given our patriarcal society, I always default to the male pronoun.

Here's a serious response from someone who also suffers from crippling testing anxiety: No, I'm not medicated for it. But, aside from the obvious response of getting your skills to a level where everything will become second nature - I found that breathing exercises help. Learn to talk yourself down when you feel yourself spiraling out. To that end, I will suggest a bubbling technique, which is something often overlooked when it comes to actual advice on these boards. When you're bubbling, bubble in chunks. So, for example: For RC: after each passage; for LR: after every 2 pages; for LG: after each game. It'll give you a few seconds to take a break from the test and relax. Those few seconds helped me collect myself.
Glad to hear you were kidding. Sorry to jump on you.

We can be a little sensitive on this issue...it's unbelievable how often we hear "ADHD is a phony disease made up by drug companies to sell pills," or "You just need to man-up and be more disciplined," or (dismissively) "Yeah I'm pretty sure I have that, too; I really don't like studying..."

Believe me, if I could "man-up" and make it go away, I would...

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:54 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:

Come on Shak... I'm known to default to male and even I assumed female here... disappointed dot dot dot

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:14 pm

Smallville wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:

Come on Shak... I'm known to default to male and even I assumed female here... disappointed dot dot dot
Shush, future love interest.

GreenTee

Silver

Post by GreenTee » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:07 pm

Last edited by GreenTee on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:09 pm

So you have ADHD and anxiety? Welcome to TLS, the great bastion of neuroticism.
Depression is serious though. Definitely keep that in check. Law might be a career you want to avoid. Very few practicing attorneys (even the successful ones) find fulfillment and joy in their careers.

And a 145 isn't low at all for a diagnostic. If I remember correctly, mine was only a couple points higher than that and I scored a 167 in December after only a moderate amount of studying. I was scoring at least a good 5 points higher and am retaking, but a 25-30 point jump is definitely possible with enough time and diligence.

James Crane

New

Post by James Crane » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:09 am

If there is an opportunity to overcome anxiety, do it. You already understood that the LSAT is quite a complicated test, even if you pass it without distraction, you can just make mistakes in what you were sure of before the test.
When my cousin was preparing for the test, he was focused only on cognitive skills, leaving all other assignments Business, Accountancy, Social Sciences and use of Maths for experts https://www.assignmentexpert.com/ thereby reducing the overall stress. And in the future, it will be better and easier to work for more balanced people than those who have not learned to adapt to distractions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”