LSAT Prep Book Advice

law_hopeful11

LSAT Prep Book Advice

Postby law_hopeful11 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Hello all,

Long story short, I didn't do so hot on the December 2014 LSAT despite some solid practice test performances, and I'm looking to get back in the saddle soon and start preparing for the June 2015 test. In preparation for the December LSAT, I did the Logic Games Bible and Logical Reasoning Bible.

I'm planning to reboot my studying by purchasing new material and kind of starting from scratch so to speak. My original plan was to purchase The LSAT Trainer, work through that, and start doing practice tests again. However, I'm also hearing that the Manhattan LSAT trilogy for each section is incredible and many are saying even surpasses the Powerscore Bibles.

What are your guys thoughts, is the LSAT Trainer sufficient? Should I complement it with the Manhattan LSAT books or would that be over-saturating myself with material when I already possess a fair bit of familiarity? Finally, is there anything else you guys would recommend?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

RZ5646

Re: LSAT Prep Book Advice

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:18 pm

I haven't finished it yet, but I don't think the Trainer is adequate. It's a good book and I'd get it if I were you, but it doesn't go in depth like the single subject books do.

Btw, come join us in the June 2015 study group thread.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:46 pm

There's no such thing as over saturation IMO. I'd get the Manhattan books if I were you and go to town. You never know when a new method will click or if something will be explained in a way that makes you understand better

smiles123

Postby smiles123 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:53 pm

Personally, I thought the bibles were more helpful than the trainer and didn't feel the trainer added much.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:20 pm

law_hopeful11 wrote:Hello all,

Long story short, I didn't do so hot on the December 2014 LSAT despite some solid practice test performances, and I'm looking to get back in the saddle soon and start preparing for the June 2015 test. In preparation for the December LSAT, I did the Logic Games Bible and Logical Reasoning Bible.

I'm planning to reboot my studying by purchasing new material and kind of starting from scratch so to speak. My original plan was to purchase The LSAT Trainer, work through that, and start doing practice tests again. However, I'm also hearing that the Manhattan LSAT trilogy for each section is incredible and many are saying even surpasses the Powerscore Bibles.

What are your guys thoughts, is the LSAT Trainer sufficient? Should I complement it with the Manhattan LSAT books or would that be over-saturating myself with material when I already possess a fair bit of familiarity? Finally, is there anything else you guys would recommend?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

What was your timed PTs (practice tests) score range leading up to the December test and what was your Dec. score? What are your current weaknesses that are holding your score back? What is your target score/score range?

If you give more detailed information about your situation, people here will be able to give you better advice for your specific prep/performance level situation/issues/weaknesses/etc.

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:05 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:02 am, edited 6 times in total.

179orBust

Postby 179orBust » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:30 pm

gamerish wrote:Whatever you do, don't read the Trainer's sections on games. Just skip them all together. It's pretty decent for LR and RC but its LG stuff really rubbed me the wrong way. 7sage's method for LG is far, far superior. Having read it, I'd only recommend the Trainer as a capstone for other study material at best or just for RC if you really need it; there are just better alternatives. 7sage is better for games, Manhattan is better for LR and just reading dense material is the best prep for RC. Obviously this is all my opinion, but its what's worked for me so far.

Couldn't agree with you more. Absolutely hated it for games.

law_hopeful11

Postby law_hopeful11 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:14 pm

Thanks for all the discussion / advice so far guys! So far I'm leaning towards getting the Manhattan LSAT trio and possibly picking up The LSAT Trainer at a later date.

Jeffort wrote:What was your timed PTs (practice tests) score range leading up to the December test and what was your Dec. score? What are your current weaknesses that are holding your score back? What is your target score/score range?

If you give more detailed information about your situation, people here will be able to give you better advice for your specific prep/performance level situation/issues/weaknesses/etc.

First cold diagnostic: 156 - After Powerscore LG and LR and scanning LSAT material on the internet and other random prep books, I was PTing between 162-170. Prior to the December test, the last two PTs I wrote were the Oct 2013 and Dec 2013 tests, and I got 168 and 170 on them respectively.

Then the Dec. 2014 test day comes along and I get 150 *facepalm*. Test day jitters and an abysmal Logic Games section were primarily to blame, but I did pretty meh on just about everything. Very disappointing. I attribute it to lacking enough preparation to build solid consistency. I don't intend to let that happen in June.

So what do you guys think, Manhattan LSAT Trio to get things rolling again? Also, anyone have any experience reading the Manhattan LSATs or any other books on a kindle emulating program on your computer? The books are dirt cheap via Kindle, but I dont have a device.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”