Need your help -- still struggling on games!

buyorsell912

Need your help -- still struggling on games!

Postby buyorsell912 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:33 am

I took both the September and December 2014 LSAT administrations, and I got a 171 each time. In both instances, I got a -5 on the logic games, which really killed me. I have been doing the 7 sage foolproof method religiously (basically, do all the games over and over again) for 6 months now, and in the weeks before my December LSAT, I was doing 30 games a day. I felt comfortable and really thought I would get a -1 or -0 on the section. Instead, I got -5. The story was very similar for September (although I was only doing about 15 games per day for that one).

In my preparation I did fully simulated practice tests for September 06 onward, and got -0 on games six different times, -1 or 2 five times, and -5 or more on three tests (June 10, Oct 12, and Dec 12). The games seem to have gotten harder for me in some recent tests.

I have done every single game from Preptest 1 onward, and I've done many of those 13+ times. All the games are familiar to me by now. I'm always -2 or better on each LR section, and -3 or better on RC. LG is really holding me back.

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for how I can get better. I am willing to try anything. I think it's possible that I get time-pressured a bit, and coupled with the pressure of the actual exam, stop making deductions as clearly and resort more to "brute force". Also, there is an intimidation factor of seeing a brand new game, whereas now I'm practicing with games I know I've done before. I'm planning to take the LSAT for a third time in February (I have already submitted my apps), because I know I can do better than a 171 --- my average on 14 fully simulated Preptests was over 176, which included 2 consecutive 180's. One idea I had was to start doing four games at once in only 24 minutes in order to train with the pressure of reduced time. And also maybe do some fake new games I find online. But again, I'm just looking for any tips or insight. I'm willing to try ANYTHING.

hopeboaltberkeley

Re: Need your help -- still struggling on games!

Postby hopeboaltberkeley » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:40 am

You know, logic games are my trouble section too (my PTest score range isn't as high as yours, more around the low 170s). Over the course of two LSATs administrations I've improved, but still have work to do to perfect them.

I never delved deeply into studying 7Sage (their use of multiple templates per game was not to my liking -- but that is a matter of personal taste ). I did use it as an occasional reference.

I did drill Cambridge a lot. But when I got bored of drilling I found reading the books (Blueprint, Manhattan, Powerscore) to be a helpful addition. If you are an experienced LG-er a lot of what each book says will already be familiar to you, but it's good review and I found it refreshing when I had hit a wall with drilling.

NL2424

Postby NL2424 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:31 am

Last edited by NL2424 on Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:06 pm

LG is by far my greatest weakness, and this thread did nothing to help my confidence.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:41 pm

buyorsell912 wrote:I took both the September and December 2014 LSAT administrations, and I got a 171 each time. In both instances, I got a -5 on the logic games, which really killed me. I have been doing the 7 sage foolproof method religiously (basically, do all the games over and over again) for 6 months now, and in the weeks before my December LSAT, I was doing 30 games a day. I felt comfortable and really thought I would get a -1 or -0 on the section. Instead, I got -5. The story was very similar for September (although I was only doing about 15 games per day for that one).

In my preparation I did fully simulated practice tests for September 06 onward, and got -0 on games six different times, -1 or 2 five times, and -5 or more on three tests (June 10, Oct 12, and Dec 12). The games seem to have gotten harder for me in some recent tests.

I have done every single game from Preptest 1 onward, and I've done many of those 13+ times. All the games are familiar to me by now. I'm always -2 or better on each LR section, and -3 or better on RC. LG is really holding me back.

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for how I can get better. I am willing to try anything. I think it's possible that I get time-pressured a bit, and coupled with the pressure of the actual exam, stop making deductions as clearly and resort more to "brute force". Also, there is an intimidation factor of seeing a brand new game, whereas now I'm practicing with games I know I've done before. I'm planning to take the LSAT for a third time in February (I have already submitted my apps), because I know I can do better than a 171 --- my average on 14 fully simulated Preptests was over 176, which included 2 consecutive 180's. One idea I had was to start doing four games at once in only 24 minutes in order to train with the pressure of reduced time. And also maybe do some fake new games I find online. But again, I'm just looking for any tips or insight. I'm willing to try ANYTHING.

On the two tests you took did you miss your questions on one game? Like did you just run short on time and guess or was it spread throughout?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:56 pm

OP, have you reviewed the LG sections from your two tests and figured out in detail exactly why you missed those 5 questions in each of those LG sections? Is there any identifiable pattern in the questions you missed regarding types of questions, game type, exact mistakes for each missed question, etc.?

During both of those administrations did you think the answers you selected for each of the 5 you ended up missing were for sure correct when you selected them and thought you had been thorough by double checking to make sure the other four answers were for sure logically wrong for each one before making your final AC decision? Meaning were some or many of the missed questions ones you knew at the time you weren't 100% sure about the answer you selected but had to pick one and move on for timing purposes or did you think you had conclusively figured out the CR for all/most of them by including analysis to make sure the other four answers were incorrect?

Given your prep history having done all the available games multiple times already, your main/best real source to learn from in terms of figuring out specifically what LG weaknesses you still have that need to be improved are those 10 LG question you missed on your two takes.

buyorsell912

Postby buyorsell912 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:55 pm

For both exams, I had trouble with a single game. Didn't fully understand how to diagram it or think about it, ended up freezing somewhat, tried brute forcing through some questions with little success, and ended up having to blind guess on quite a few questions from the set while taking up a lot of time. Total nightmares both times :(

thisone2014

Postby thisone2014 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:33 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”