Have you ever had your IQ tested?

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby downbeat14 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:57 pm

.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mmelittlechicken
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:34 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby mmelittlechicken » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:58 pm

downbeat14 wrote:
mmelittlechicken wrote:Why don't you tell them not to go to law school instead of stealing their money?


Not sure if you understand how money works. They sign up for the course and pay before I even meet them or see their score. My job is to improve their score from where they are starting. I'm very successful at that. Wouldn't exactly call that stealing...

Secondly, the ones that ask me, I tell them that it's not wise to go to law school unless there is a high chance that they will get a job as a lawyer (based on LST), or if they are going for free.

whatever helps u sleep at night

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:59 pm

downbeat14 wrote:I can assure you that some people will never get to -5 or better on LG (I know for you this sounds crazy). It doesn't click with some people's mind to think abstractly like that.

Dude, some of my students start in the 120s and can't even finish two RC passages in 35 min. There are some people that just do not click with the LSAT (or in some cases just can't read in English well enough). I tutored someone who had taken every PT and two classes and couldn't break 155. He/she finally made it to 160 on the third try. She was also fairly bright (top tier undergrad with solid GPA), but just has a hard time with anxiety and taking tests. I'm sorry but you are simply wrong.

EDIT: FWIW, I thought the same thing as you before I taught an LSAT course. Now in my 5th full class, I can tell you with certainty that most people will not break 163 even after a lot of preparation.

most of your students don't get out of the low 160s? including those you tutor 1 on 1? that's alarming.
how much training did you get? do you have any teaching experience?

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:59 pm

Could you not literally guess like every question and get a 130

If you can't get through two RC passages in 35 minutes we're talkin dyslexia, not bad test takers.

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby downbeat14 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:10 am

.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby downbeat14 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:11 am

.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JC17
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:47 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby JC17 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:12 am

Life2good893 wrote:This is such an interesting question.

170 LSAT/ 116 IQ (I think that's what it was)

EDIT: First LSAT 166

Obviously I took the LSAT seriously and the IQ Test somewhat less seriously. :D


What an inspiration.... :shock:

What IQ test did you take and what do you mean by taking it "less seriously" (less studying?)?

JC17
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:47 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby JC17 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:14 am

downbeat14 wrote:
Brut wrote:
downbeat14 wrote:I can assure you that some people will never get to -5 or better on LG (I know for you this sounds crazy). It doesn't click with some people's mind to think abstractly like that.

Dude, some of my students start in the 120s and can't even finish two RC passages in 35 min. There are some people that just do not click with the LSAT (or in some cases just can't read in English well enough). I tutored someone who had taken every PT and two classes and couldn't break 155. He/she finally made it to 160 on the third try. She was also fairly bright (top tier undergrad with solid GPA), but just has a hard time with anxiety and taking tests. I'm sorry but you are simply wrong.

EDIT: FWIW, I thought the same thing as you before I taught an LSAT course. Now in my 5th full class, I can tell you with certainty that most people will not break 163 even after a lot of preparation.

most of your students don't get out of the low 160s? including those you tutor 1 on 1? that's alarming.
how much training did you get? do you have any teaching experience?


I said most people, not most of my students BTW. maybe some RC review is in your future (unless you were kidding?)

Even if it were true, since most means greater than 50%...., I don't think the fact that a majority of your students score below the 90th percentile would be a major blemish on your record.

I think a lot of you have a very slanted version of the average capability out there.


Hey what percentage of your students actually make it to the 168+ area?

What distinguishes them from the students who never make it out of high 150s low 160s? Just pure natural ability?

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby 03152016 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:15 am

downbeat14 wrote:
Brut wrote:
downbeat14 wrote:I can assure you that some people will never get to -5 or better on LG (I know for you this sounds crazy). It doesn't click with some people's mind to think abstractly like that.

Dude, some of my students start in the 120s and can't even finish two RC passages in 35 min. There are some people that just do not click with the LSAT (or in some cases just can't read in English well enough). I tutored someone who had taken every PT and two classes and couldn't break 155. He/she finally made it to 160 on the third try. She was also fairly bright (top tier undergrad with solid GPA), but just has a hard time with anxiety and taking tests. I'm sorry but you are simply wrong.

EDIT: FWIW, I thought the same thing as you before I taught an LSAT course. Now in my 5th full class, I can tell you with certainty that most people will not break 163 even after a lot of preparation.

most of your students don't get out of the low 160s? including those you tutor 1 on 1? that's alarming.
how much training did you get? do you have any teaching experience?


I said most people, not most of my students BTW. maybe some RC review is in your future (unless you were kidding?)

Even if it were true, since most means greater than 50%...., I don't think the fact that a majority of your students score below the 90th percentile would be a major blemish on your record.

I think a lot of you have a very slanted version of the average capability out there.

Now in my 5th full class, I can tell you with certainty that most people will not break 163 even after a lot of preparation.

oh gee how could one possibly construe this quote to mean most of your students aren't cracking 163
no offense, but that's pretty retarded, even for you man

also, just lol at your rc insult
i almost certainly did better than you did on the lsat and definitely taught it for longer

why won't you just answer the question? how much training did you get, and how long have you been doing this?

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby downbeat14 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:16 am

.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
snagglepuss
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby snagglepuss » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:18 am

Ugh can we stop talking about LSAT tutoring and get back to not-so-subtly revealing our elite IQs?

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:20 am

downbeat14 wrote:
mmelittlechicken wrote:
downbeat14 wrote:
mmelittlechicken wrote:Why don't you tell them not to go to law school instead of stealing their money?


Not sure if you understand how money works. They sign up for the course and pay before I even meet them or see their score. My job is to improve their score from where they are starting. I'm very successful at that. Wouldn't exactly call that stealing...

Secondly, the ones that ask me, I tell them that it's not wise to go to law school unless there is a high chance that they will get a job as a lawyer (based on LST), or if they are going for free.

whatever helps u sleep at night


Ya know, I actually sleep really well. Especially when I get students improving over 30 points from their diagnostics and getting into T14 schools. That being said, some people don't have the ability to do that (or the work ethic). Not really my fault that's the case.

Fine I'll say it. If you think that some students aren't capable of scoring in the mid 160s WITH a professional class, you're dead wrong. I did and the only money I spent were on PTs. It wasn't natural ability cuz I'm an idiot.

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby downbeat14 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:26 am

.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby downbeat14 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:31 am

.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The Mixed Tape
stop stop this is my favorite dryfit polo
Posts: 5737
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:14 pm

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby The Mixed Tape » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:35 am

Just took an IQ test & it coincidently matched my LSAT, which makes me a genius.

User avatar
Iagreetotheseterms
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:24 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby Iagreetotheseterms » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:38 am

I was tested in elementary school, when I was skipped a grade. I don't remember what I scored, it was 1st grade.
My LSAT score was 169, although I started testing around 154. If the LSAT measured innate intelligence then there wouldn't be so much difference.
Similarly if IQ actually measured intelligence there wouldn't be such a thing as the flynn effect.
IQ is bs. I'm waiting for brain scans to say that something can measure intelligence.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby 03152016 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:41 am

@downbeat

nice job evading my question
so i take it you have zero prior formal teaching experience and received, what, a month of training at best before they threw you in front of a class?

look, if you want to make money, make money
just don't say you feel so great about what you're doing when you're charging people with 120s diagnostics, because that's bullshit

User avatar
The Mixed Tape
stop stop this is my favorite dryfit polo
Posts: 5737
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:14 pm

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby The Mixed Tape » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:51 am

my iq needs no introduction
your iq don't even function

my iq... vip
your iq needs id
Last edited by The Mixed Tape on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mmelittlechicken
Posts: 4680
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:34 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby mmelittlechicken » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:52 am

The Mixed Tape wrote:my iq need no introduction
your iq don't even function

my iq... vip
your iq needs id

well that used to be a good song

JC17
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:47 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby JC17 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:52 am

The Mixed Tape wrote:my iq need no introduction
your iq don't even function

my iq... vip
your iq needs id

:mrgreen:

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby downbeat14 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:53 am

.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby 03152016 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:16 am

i rarely taught groups
but when i did, they certainly weren't scoring in the low 160s
also, it's not all teaching ability. sounds like you're working with students who have no place anywhere near a law school
when you're taking students who can barely bubble in their names correctly, the chance of them having a decent outcome approaches zero
you can't honestly feel good about taking on students who will never attend a law school that can advance their goals

like i said, if you want to make money, go make money
the lsat business is slimy, i've said that many times. let's not pretend it's something that it's not.
i worked with some clients early on that weren't fit for law school. later i came to deeply regret that, and if you have a conscience, you'll feel the same way in the not-too-distant future about some of your students
later, i made meaningful choices about how i worked and who i worked with (more than mere lip service) – that's the conversation i'd rather have with you over PM than one about your credentials which i almost guarantee won't be impressive
my inbox awaits

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:33 am

RZ5646 wrote:I doubt you'll see much of a correlation. There are many SAT to IQ conversion sites out there, and they all put me at least a standard deviation higher than I actually got on the IQ test I took when I was a child. And I didn't even study for the SAT, so for many people the disparity may be even larger.

So, from my personal experiences, the SAT/IQ correlation isn't very strong, and the LSAT is even more specialized and learnable than the SAT, so I'm guessing the correlation between them would be even weaker.

you do realize your IQ may drastically change feom childhood into adulthood? your brain is still developing, and some people develop quicker or slower than others. a lot of the time a smart kid is just a mature kid.

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby downbeat14 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:57 am

.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:02 am

AReasonableMan wrote:you do realize your IQ may drastically change feom childhood into adulthood? your brain is still developing, and some people develop quicker or slower than others. a lot of the time a smart kid is just a mature kid.


Idk, it was my understanding that IQ isn't supposed to change much over time. It seems unlikely that I'd go from being just a pretty smart 9-year-old to a genius 17-year-old, but I guess it's possible.

In any case, I don't put much stock in IQ or really any other psychometric test. They're primitive tools in a very soft science.

I feel like OP is watching this thread with a bowl of popcorn because he knew TLS would have a field day with a topic like this.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cianchetta0, goldenbear2020, JohnMaynardKeynes, njames1961 and 16 guests