Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Re: Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Postby 03152016 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:42 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:I'm not going to say we're better than Testmasters.

if you can't figure out how to offer a better service than testmasters, you should probably just give up on life

AReasonableMan wrote:We could do your approach - charge $200/hour, only have our top tutors and focus on students gunning for the t-14.

my pay-in-advance rate was $50, compared to your advertised $67. always asked students what they could afford, always negotiated rates, never turned anyone away due to an inability to pay. unlike you, i'm not a greedy scam artist with contempt for my students

AReasonableMan wrote:If you got a call from a parent who said, "Hi, my son scored a 145 on the June test. How much can you help him improve?" would you consider it more ethical to respond, "We just had someone get into Harvard, and your son can be next," or "a lot of our students get into Cardozo or better."

gee, idk, maybe you could sit down with the kid like he was a human being instead of an atm machine and talk to him about his goals.

you're a middleman. you find clients, you find quasi-qualified people to teach them, you take a cut. don't pretend this is some noble endeavor. you have no moral high ground here

Postby 03152016 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:45 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:How do you know he works for lsat wiz?

it's in his profile

AReasonableMan wrote:What is edited? I believe I only corrected typos.

bullshit, your original post was two sentences long

hope this thread is good for your seo dude

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:06 pm

Brut wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:I'm not going to say we're better than Testmasters.

if you can't figure out how to offer a better service than testmasters, you should probably just give up on life

AReasonableMan wrote:We could do your approach - charge $200/hour, only have our top tutors and focus on students gunning for the t-14.

my pay-in-advance rate was $50, compared to your advertised $67. always asked students what they could afford, always negotiated rates, never turned anyone away due to an inability to pay. unlike you, i'm not a greedy scam artist with contempt for my students

AReasonableMan wrote:If you got a call from a parent who said, "Hi, my son scored a 145 on the June test. How much can you help him improve?" would you consider it more ethical to respond, "We just had someone get into Harvard, and your son can be next," or "a lot of our students get into Cardozo or better."

gee, idk, maybe you could sit down with the kid like he was a human being instead of an atm machine and talk to him about his goals.

you're a middleman. you find clients, you find quasi-qualified people to teach them, you take a cut. don't pretend this is some noble endeavor. you have no moral high ground here

First, I did not intend to change the meaning of anything and apologize if I inserted something more; I'm mostly responding on the spot, and may think of things that I find pertinent but forgot to mention earlier. Second, I'm not going to overhype my role, but there are costs involved in finding students and tutors. In addition, there are specific lesson plans that every tutor follows that correspond with our textbooks except where students are scoring in the mid-160's. The tutors have to be walked through all of this before tutoring. Based on your logic, would every tutoring company be a middle-man scam artist?

I don't perceive anybody as a walking ATM machine or have any contempt. I am grateful for and legitimately like every student I have ever had. It sounds like your rate was a good deal based on the info you are providing. If you aren't an individual tutor then it's much more helpful to have a baseline rate, and reduce it based on financial need than say, "what can you afford" like you're selling hookahs in an open market. We've had people ask for discounted or free tutoring, and we've provided at least an at cost discount every time. Generally, we considered both starting score and evidence of financial hardship in doing this. Frankly, I'm not going to accept any money from somebody who is impoverished and has a low starting score. There's just too high a likelihood it's a disservice.

Postby 03152016 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:13 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:I don't perceive anybody as a walking ATM machine or have any contempt.

AReasonableMan wrote:The reason I went off on this tangent is to support the following: people are less likely to follow commands given their peers than an older person. I run into this a lot with 2 of the following: (1) giddy overly upbeat women and (2) alpha men. With the former, I'm just a nerdy guy spending 2 hours with them and interested in how they think. To desperate women, this may be misconstrued as a sign of interest, and you get invited to their social functions, which is horribly awkward. It also means they aren't following my orders because I'm their friend, which benefits nobody as I don't want to be their friend and they aren't benefiting from tutoring. With alpha men, they legitimately react combatively to orders from me or my suggestions on how they should change their thinking. They're nearly impossible to tutor outside of logic games, because when you tell them how to break down another reasoning pattern they see this as an attack on their masculinity. Most aren't even aware they're doing this, but they generally won't do what their tutor assigns.

yeah, no contempt here

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:19 pm

Brut wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:I don't perceive anybody as a walking ATM machine or have any contempt.

AReasonableMan wrote:The reason I went off on this tangent is to support the following: people are less likely to follow commands given their peers than an older person. I run into this a lot with 2 of the following: (1) giddy overly upbeat women and (2) alpha men. With the former, I'm just a nerdy guy spending 2 hours with them and interested in how they think. To desperate women, this may be misconstrued as a sign of interest, and you get invited to their social functions, which is horribly awkward. It also means they aren't following my orders because I'm their friend, which benefits nobody as I don't want to be their friend and they aren't benefiting from tutoring. With alpha men, they legitimately react combatively to orders from me or my suggestions on how they should change their thinking. They're nearly impossible to tutor outside of logic games, because when you tell them how to break down another reasoning pattern they see this as an attack on their masculinity. Most aren't even aware they're doing this, but they generally won't do what their tutor assigns.

yeah, no contempt here

There is none. There were challenges involved, but with tact you can work your way around any issues and keep it productive. It's just illustrating that not every student comes in equally motivated and easy to teach. These are examples of two distinct personality types that are generally more difficult to work with, and affect the tutor they should work with. They also disproportionately populate the Jersey shore area. Are you from the Boston area by chance or were you in December 2011? I think we may have talked on the phone. You are distinctively combative like you were with the tutor earlier in the thread. That's why this rings a bell. I'm sure you're a good guy, and I appreciate your humbling responses.
Last edited by AReasonableMan on Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 03152016 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:22 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:There is none. There were challenges involved, but with tact you can work your way around any issues and keep it productive. It's just illustrating that not every student comes in equally motivated and easy to teach. These are examples of two distinct personality types that are generally more difficult to work with, and affect the tutor they should work with. Are you from the Boston area by chance or were you in December 2011? I think we may have talked on the phone. You are distinctively combative like you were with the tutor earlier in the thread. That's why this rings a bell. I'm sure you're a good guy, and I appreciate your humbling responses.

quoting to prevent edits

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:23 pm

Brut wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:There is none. There were challenges involved, but with tact you can work your way around any issues and keep it productive. It's just illustrating that not every student comes in equally motivated and easy to teach. These are examples of two distinct personality types that are generally more difficult to work with, and affect the tutor they should work with. Are you from the Boston area by chance or were you in December 2011? I think we may have talked on the phone. You are distinctively combative like you were with the tutor earlier in the thread. That's why this rings a bell. I'm sure you're a good guy, and I appreciate your humbling responses.

quoting to prevent edits

thank you. i just added in a generally true joke. in truth, Mr. Brut if you're a good tutor you will always be a better deal than anybody. the student goes to you directly, and works with you directly. the issue is not everyone is as good as you.

mmelittlechicken

Postby mmelittlechicken » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Brut wrote:

yeah, no contempt here

thanks for quoting this excerpt

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:46 pm

it puts the lotion on the skinnn

Grond

Postby Grond » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:03 pm

I should call Jeffort and get him in this amazing thread.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:12 pm

Why are you guys attacking the tutor who makes a semi-honest living by only ripping kids off for ~$1000 instead of the bankers and higher ed administrators who are getting rich by ripping kids off for $150,000+, much of it in federal loan money that we'll all be be forced to pay in taxes after the student loan bubble collapses?

Postby 03152016 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:13 pm

RZ5646 wrote:Why are you guys attacking the tutor who makes a semi-honest living by only ripping kids off for ~$1000 instead of the bankers and higher ed administrators who are getting rich by ripping kids off for $150,000+, much of it in federal loan money that we'll all be be forced to pay in taxes after the student loan bubble collapses?

have you ever been on tls before

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:16 pm

Brut wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:Why are you guys attacking the tutor who makes a semi-honest living by only ripping kids off for ~$1000 instead of the bankers and higher ed administrators who are getting rich by ripping kids off for $150,000+, much of it in federal loan money that we'll all be be forced to pay in taxes after the student loan bubble collapses?

The skills tested on the LSAT apply to other fields. Recognizing assumptions, formal logic, points at issue, deductive reasoning, etc. are useful in business, human resources and interpreting parking signs. Even if one doesn't go to law school, improving from a 140 to a 150 has benefits that are worth more than a $1,000, and a couple hours a week of work. If you tell a student tactfully after trust is developed how poor of an economic choice a school like Touro might be then you aren't really ripping anybody off or making their life worse off.
Last edited by AReasonableMan on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:17 pm

this thread isn't what I expected

PR victory for Brut

AReasonableMan wrote:The skills tested on the LSAT apply to other fields. Recognizing assumptions, formal logic, points at issue, deductive reasoning, etc. are useful in business, human resources and interpreting parking signs. Even if one doesn't go to law school, improving from a 140 to a 150 has benefits that are worth more than a $1,000.

someone tell me this is just masterful flame

waterman, is that you?

please

notgreat

Postby notgreat » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:26 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
Brut wrote:

The skills tested on the LSAT apply to other fields. Recognizing assumptions, formal logic, points at issue, deductive reasoning, etc. are useful in business, human resources and interpreting parking signs. Even if one doesn't go to law school, improving from a 140 to a 150 has benefits that are worth more than a $1,000, and a couple hours a week of work. If you tell a student tactfully after trust is developed how poor of an economic choice a school like Touro might be then you aren't really ripping anybody off or making their life worse off.

:lol:

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:27 pm

utahraptor wrote:this thread isn't what I expected

PR victory for Brut

AReasonableMan wrote:The skills tested on the LSAT apply to other fields. Recognizing assumptions, formal logic, points at issue, deductive reasoning, etc. are useful in business, human resources and interpreting parking signs. Even if one doesn't go to law school, improving from a 140 to a 150 has benefits that are worth more than a $1,000.

someone tell me this is just masterful flame

waterman, is that you?

please

Which fields do you think LSAC hires its question writers from?

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:36 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:Which fields do you think LSAC hires its question writers from?

I have no idea and I don't care at all.

Let's just skip ahead to the part where you checkmate me.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:40 pm

utahraptor wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:Which fields do you think LSAC hires its question writers from?

My involvement here was only to address (1) the arguments that a majority of LSAT course/tutoring students should score in the 90th percentile, and (2) that LSAT tutors are somehow unethical because of the actions of schools like TJSL and NYLS. I have no interest in making personal attacks, and expected them when I came to another tutor's defense.

bpolley0

Postby bpolley0 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:44 pm

Last edited by bpolley0 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:47 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
Brut wrote:

This is some amazing rationalizing.

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
utahraptor wrote:

My involvement here was only to address (1) the arguments that a majority of LSAT course/tutoring students should score in the 90th percentile, and (2) that LSAT tutors are somehow unethical because of the actions of schools like TJSL and NYLS. I have no interest in making personal attacks, and expected them when I came to another tutor's defense.

and I don't care about those things

I just want to make fun of your "defense" because it is asinine

the LSAT is an entrance test to a professional school

you're not going to be better at life because you learned to diagram a logic game

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:42 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
Brut wrote:

Last edited by Clyde Frog on Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:24 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:28 pm

username: MistakenGenius

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:35 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”