Can taking June Test hurt if already applied/accepted?

sparkytrainer
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Can taking June Test hurt if already applied/accepted?

Postby sparkytrainer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:43 am

Skip to red for the direct part of the question

Hi everyone I am a long timer lurker. I have received advice to retake in June after having a successful but not super successful December score. Mid 160's. Would like to get 170+.

Long story short: I have applied and already accepted to some excellent t20 schools hopefully with money. My original diagnostic last year was a 146 and I brought it up to the score above. Was practice testing 4-5 points higher. So, my plan is to continue with the cycle and if a choice is strong from a t20 with money, I will pay the seat deposit with a plan to attend or even pull a t14 (not curious about which to take or the money aspect, you can skip to below).

With that, I will also register to take the June exam. If I score higher, I would be in position to sit out. If not, I have great options already having known I maxed out my LSAT ability.


The big question is if this is possible. IE put a deposit down with a school, still register and take June exam. Score 5+ more points, withdraw and have to eat the deposit. Score only a few more points, no harm no foul. Is this possible/ and how it would work? Is this a fair assessment? One concern would be if I did score 5+ points the school I might withdraw from last minute would probably not be too excited. Probably not an option the next year at all? Would it hurt my chances elsewhere? Is it a risky strategy?


Like I said not looking for advice school wise like if I should take the t20 or I must sit out and retake. I am looking for direct advice to the situation in red. Thank you for your time.


EDIT: This is a hypothetical. It may or may not happen. Just looking for advice. Also I cannot take Feb exam just incase anyone was wondering.

sparkytrainer
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: Can taking June Test hurt if already applied/accepted?

Postby sparkytrainer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:41 pm

I know there are threads that discuss this kind of thing for scholarship negotiations and waitlists, but I am curious about this situation with plans to attend.

NonTradLawHopeful
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:52 am

Re: Can taking June Test hurt if already applied/accepted?

Postby NonTradLawHopeful » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:46 pm

I'm not too sure what you're asking. Retaking for scholarships will not hurt you. And yes you can put down a deposit and then withdraw if you get a better score and it leads to better offers. Does that help at all?

sparkytrainer
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: Can taking June Test hurt if already applied/accepted?

Postby sparkytrainer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:58 pm

NonTradLawHopeful wrote:I'm not too sure what you're asking. Retaking for scholarships will not hurt you. And yes you can put down a deposit and then withdraw if you get a better score and it leads to better offers. Does that help at all?


I accept offer at X school to attend. Pay deposit. Take June exam for the purpose of seeing if I can get into a higher ranked school the next cycle. Withdraw if successful in getting 5+ more points or if not, continue to honor my decision. Is that an acceptable practice? How would school X take it and would schools in the next cycle care if I withdrew? Would a school negotiate scholarship if I already paid deposit and got a higher score? Finally, would they care there is a 3rd score now after the fact of admission?

User avatar
Dr. Nefario
Posts: 2335
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Re: Can taking June Test hurt if already applied/accepted?

Postby Dr. Nefario » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:12 pm

The practice you're referring to is perfectly acceptable. Schools won't care if you withdraw and apply the next year, people all over these forums do it. It may be harder to negotiate scholarships with a June score to attend this cycle, but if you want to try, there's no harm. Go ahead.

User avatar
MarkfromWI
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Re: Can taking June Test hurt if already applied/accepted?

Postby MarkfromWI » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:14 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:I accept offer at X school to attend. Pay deposit. Take June exam for the purpose of seeing if I can get into a higher ranked school the next cycle. Withdraw if successful in getting 5+ more points or if not, continue to honor my decision. Is that an acceptable practice? How would school X take it and would schools in the next cycle care if I withdrew? Would a school negotiate scholarship if I already paid deposit and got a higher score? Finally, would they care there is a 3rd score now after the fact of admission?


That practice is totally fine. School X understands that it's a buyer's market and this is all part of the business. It also won't hurt you to add a 3rd score after being accepted- they would only have used the highest score in the first place and presuming that you improve your score they'll be happy about it so long as you don't withdraw. Regarding scholarship negotiations, I'm sure if you bring up the topic the right way they'd at least be open to discussion, provided they actually have money left to give. Last, other schools won't care that you withdrew; more likely, they'll never know unless you tell them.

sparkytrainer
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: Can taking June Test hurt if already applied/accepted?

Postby sparkytrainer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:09 pm

MarkfromWI wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:I accept offer at X school to attend. Pay deposit. Take June exam for the purpose of seeing if I can get into a higher ranked school the next cycle. Withdraw if successful in getting 5+ more points or if not, continue to honor my decision. Is that an acceptable practice? How would school X take it and would schools in the next cycle care if I withdrew? Would a school negotiate scholarship if I already paid deposit and got a higher score? Finally, would they care there is a 3rd score now after the fact of admission?


That practice is totally fine. School X understands that it's a buyer's market and this is all part of the business. It also won't hurt you to add a 3rd score after being accepted- they would only have used the highest score in the first place and presuming that you improve your score they'll be happy about it so long as you don't withdraw. Regarding scholarship negotiations, I'm sure if you bring up the topic the right way they'd at least be open to discussion, provided they actually have money left to give. Last, other schools won't care that you withdrew; more likely, they'll never know unless you tell them.


Okay thanks. And having a new score won't matter once I send a deposit in right?

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1086
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Can taking June Test hurt if already applied/accepted?

Postby landshoes » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:09 am

You can always threaten to walk with the new score unless you get more money, as a negotiation tactic. They will be annoyed because if you walk, you'll be messing with their yield, but who cares if they're annoyed? It's your life and your money.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Can taking June Test hurt if already applied/accepted?

Postby Jeffort » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:17 am

sparkytrainer wrote:Okay thanks. And having a new score won't matter once I send a deposit in right?


Correct. Nothing you've described doing will hurt your admissions chances if you end up re-applying next cycle with a better LSAT score, cause any schools to hold a grudge against you, or affect the acceptance you already have if you don't score higher on the June LSAT. It's all ethically acceptable/not frowned upon at all since you're just trying to maximize your full potential and get the best possible law school acceptance package you can.

Schools don't get annoyed or mad at people that withdraw after having put down the seat deposit. It's a normal thing that happens at every LS every year due to rolling admissions, different timelines when applicants receive admissions decisions from the various different schools they've applied to, applicants deciding to re-take the LSAT/apply again next cycle to get better options than they got this cycle, etc.

It's the reason why most law schools have waitlists they put some applicants on!

The coast is clear, carry forward with your plan.

sparkytrainer
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: Can taking June Test hurt if already applied/accepted?

Postby sparkytrainer » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:31 pm

Jeffort wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:Okay thanks. And having a new score won't matter once I send a deposit in right?



The coast is clear, carry forward with your plan.


Thanks so much for the help everyone. I have already been accepted to schools I'd love to go to and I just am not sure I can score much higher. But it is worth one final shot. Either way I win.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8, Gumbocat and 6 guests