LR struggle

eli2015

LR struggle

Postby eli2015 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:40 pm

I am really struggling with the simplest of tasks. I can not select the sufficient and necessary properly. So, for example in my ps LRB the conditional statement was

"Suspects shall be persumed innocent until proven guilty"

I diagrammed that as

I ---> /G
contrapositive as G ---> /I.

The book's answer is
/I ----> G
contrapositive as /G ----> I

Is my diagram correct as well as the book's? Because if not then I am really having a hard time with this. Is there any drill to improve on this concept, or videos/ explanations to help me understand?

leslieknope

Re: LR struggle

Postby leslieknope » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:43 pm

Try rephrasing it to if-then form.

Presumed innocent until proven guilty=If they have not been proven guilty, they will be presumed innocent. Which then translates to

/PG--> I

or

/I-->PG

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:54 pm

leslieknope wrote:Try rephrasing it to if-then form.

Presumed innocent until proven guilty=If they have not been proven guilty, they will be presumed innocent. Which then translates to

/PG--> I

or

/I-->PG

+1
Until is a negate sufficient keyword so:
IF Not proven guilty, then presumed innocent.

and the contrapositive:
IF Not presumed innocent, then proven guilty.

eli2015

Postby eli2015 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:56 pm

/PG--> I

or

/I-->PG

So then my diagram is incorrect?

eli2015

Postby eli2015 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:00 pm

nlee10 wrote:

/PG--> I

or

/I-->PG

+1
Until is a negate sufficient keyword so:
IF Not proven guilty, then presumed innocent.

and the contrapositive:
IF Not presumed innocent, then proven guilty.

I don't think the LRB by PowerScore is that good. It does not provide me with sufficient explanation for this process.

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:16 pm

eli2015 wrote:

/PG--> I

or

/I-->PG

Yeah, your diagram is essentially saying "if a suspect is presumed innocent, then they will not be proven guilty." It's a mistaken reversal- you have the sufficient and the necessary condition flipped.

You should consider picking up Manhattan's LR guide. I studied for my first take with the LRB and picked up the Manhattan guide a few days ago, and so far I find Manhattan much more intuitive and helpful as far as figuring out the thought process you should go through.

eli2015

Postby eli2015 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:22 pm

leslieknope wrote:
eli2015 wrote:

/PG--> I

or

/I-->PG

Yeah, your diagram is essentially saying "if a suspect is presumed innocent, then they will not be proven guilty." It's a mistaken reversal- you have the sufficient and the necessary condition flipped.

You should consider picking up Manhattan's LR guide. I studied for my first take with the LRB and picked up the Manhattan guide a few days ago, and so far I find Manhattan much more intuitive and helpful as far as figuring out the thought process you should go through.

Thank you, I see my mistake now. Thank you for the recommendation as well, I actually ordered it a few days ago after seeing that everyone said that it is way better than PS, I am just studying with the LRB for now until I receive my copy.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”