Signs of Burnout

Lying Lawyer

Signs of Burnout

Postby Lying Lawyer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:36 pm

What are some ways some of you knew you needed a few days off. For me I tried taking a test yesterday and I totally bombed it. Normally I can't finish all 4 RC passages on time. I have to hurry up with the 4th one, however I couldn't read faster than what I'm comfortable with. My brain just wouldn't. On section 2 even the first 10 LR questions, I noticed having a difficulty trying to summarize the core argument and prephase the ones I could prephase. It took me almost 15 minutes on them. Finally we I got to the games, I didn't understand the first game. When I went back in the evening I couldn't figure out how I missed it. Typically I destroy the games. I think I might just relax the next few days and take a test Saturday morning. Normally I don't test during the week as I work. I simply do a section or review in the evenings. However I did step it up with my preparation as I'm taking the LSAT in February. Is it good to wait til Saturday and give the brain a few days off?

NL2424

Re: Signs of Burnout

Postby NL2424 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:49 pm

Last edited by NL2424 on Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lying Lawyer

Postby Lying Lawyer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:47 pm

I definitely feel guilty about taking a few days off. Unfortunately I might need it. I'm not sleeping a whole lot. Since I'm studying a little more intensely in the evenings now. Even though I may stop my mind is still racing for a while afterwards. I can't fall asleep til well after midnight and I am up at a quarter til six, so my body is starting to feeling it. I can't recooperate as much as I need to on Friday night. I'm only sleeping in an extra hour. My morning routine requires me to get up at 7:00 to get to the testing location by 8:30.

Nathanael

Postby Nathanael » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:36 pm

First off, disclaimer, my study plan was kind of weird. I basically just self taught for a week, drilling really old tests. Then over the next 4 weeks I took a test every day except Sunday. I thought giving myself a day off every week and only studying for a month I wouldn't really get burnt out. In the fifth week, the week before my test, my score dropped about 8-9 points from my average two days in a row. I didn't really feel any different, but I suspected it was burn out. I took the rest of the week off and didn't touch any LSAT materials until the morning of the test and scored just a point lower than my average had been leading up to those two poor tests.

I would say take days off if you need them. Burn out can sneak up on you and giving yourself breaks is really the only thing that can help. Specifically, I would say that if you are feeling burnt out at all as test day approaches, just drop the studying and relax. The breaks might be more important than the time you log studying.

If you need to hold off until June in order to do all the studying you need while still staving off burn out, do it!

Lying Lawyer

Postby Lying Lawyer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:41 pm

Not going to criticize your study plan. Everyone does what they think is best for them. However, I think we all get to the point where we experience some form of burnout. This is a hard test and we're trying to study as much as we can to maximize our score.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:07 pm

Taking a few days off did wonders for me. I would come back refreshed and oftentimes score a personal record on my next PT.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”