Question about drilling LR

179orBust

Question about drilling LR

Postby 179orBust » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:39 pm

Started to drill around a month ago and I'm worried that I'm not making the best use out of this phase. I've seen many people here say that drilling LR is one of the most important stages of ones prep and I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Basically, I drill questions in sets of 25 and try pushing the pace since I've typically struggled with timing on standardized tests. I'd say I average around 2 minutes per question at this point. After I finish, I write out explanations for questions that gave me trouble / spent too much time on , and check Manhattan LR to see if my thought process was the same.

I guess I'm seeing some patters, but I don't think I'm developing the necessary skills to effectively tackle new questions.

Right now, I'm averaging around 84% of questions correct when I time myself ( always go over though) and around 93% when I take as much time as I need.

For those that really gained a ton from drilling LR, how exactly did you drill and what advice can you give to someone who's just starting this process? I've only drilled main point and sufficient assumption questions so far.

Really appreciate the help. TIA.

jetsfan1

Re: Question about drilling LR

Postby jetsfan1 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:53 pm

Responding/bumping cause I'm interested in this as well, more so though just for drilling in general. Question though, how do you put together the set of 25 to drill? I don't wanna use full test sections, cause I want as many PTs as possible available. Got the Cambridge package with test 39-70 as PTs and then 1-38 divided up by question type, and was wondering what the most effective method in using that is.

eli2015

Postby eli2015 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:07 pm

Im just starting out LR, but im realizing that it is all about how well you know your fundamentals. For me, I feel as if I am not understanding a question it is because I lack 100% concrete knowledge of the fundamentals, and that I have not drilled enough. Also, from reading so many posts on the forum one question that will arise from your post is, "do you know why your answer is wrong?" It is understanding why your answers are wrong that helps you avoid future mistakes, ultimately increasing your knowledge on LR, thus making you better at LR. This is based on my beginning stages of LR, but thought it would be slightly helpful.

eli2015

Postby eli2015 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:09 pm

Also, 7sage. This will really help you.

NL2424

Postby NL2424 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:22 pm

Last edited by NL2424 on Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foamborn

Postby foamborn » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:32 pm

this is a pretty general response, but perhaps it'll help. the problem of timing can't be diagnosed early in the study process. it's, at least as most people use it, just a code for a bunch of other problems left unspecified. a problem of timing means that, with a mastery of the necessary skills, u still fail to complete sections. it's possible ur previous testing experience means u struggle with timing, but it's also possible that ur previous testing experience simply means u didn't get good enough at a number of other non-timing problems. i really wouldn't worry about timing at this point. drilling is for skill mastery. worry about timing when u take actual PTs. i hope this helps.

179orBust

Postby 179orBust » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:00 pm

foamborn wrote:this is a pretty general response, but perhaps it'll help. the problem of timing can't be diagnosed early in the study process. it's, at least as most people use it, just a code for a bunch of other problems left unspecified. a problem of timing means that, with a mastery of the necessary skills, u still fail to complete sections. it's possible ur previous testing experience means u struggle with timing, but it's also possible that ur previous testing experience simply means u didn't get good enough at a number of other non-timing problems. i really wouldn't worry about timing at this point. drilling is for skill mastery. worry about timing when u take actual PTs. i hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for responding, really appreciate the help.

Foamborn: So what you're basically saying is that my timing will improve as I get better at mastering LR? Guess this makes me feel a bit better.

m27

Postby m27 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:06 pm

179orBust wrote:Foamborn: So what you're basically saying is that my timing will improve as I get better at mastering LR? Guess this makes me feel a bit better.

Sorry for jumping in- but yes. Your speed will improve as your proficiency in the fundamentals and in pattern recognition improve. As you do more and more LR questions, you will begin to see a another question with a part-to-whole flaw or another question with a causation/correlation flaw, for example. With consistent practice and proper review, you will be able to quickly eliminate those answer choices that have no bearing on the question at hand and select the right answer which abstractly reflects a previous question you've encountered during your drilling.

If you're struggling with a particular question type, drill a ton of questions of that type followed by a comprehensive review.
If that's not the case, do timed sections and follow 7Sage's Blind Review method that Zac posted.

You WILL get better if you put in the time

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:46 am

Post removed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”