How to Balance?

kyrae04

How to Balance?

Postby kyrae04 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi Everyone! I am new to the forum (loving it so far) and am in need of some advice from experienced individuals.

I am a recent graduate. I graduated from OSU withe my BS in Biology (originally planning on going to med school) with only a 2.9 cumulative GPA. I currently work 3-12 hour (night) shifts at the University Hospital as a nurse's aide. It pays for my classes, which allows me to stay in loan deferment. Since I have only a scientific background, I am taking various courses such as public speaking, legal writing, political science, to try and help me with my law school preparations.

I guess my question is this. With working full time and taking classes three days a week for 6 hours a day, how can I fit an ample amount of time for LSAT prep? I have several books and practice tests to prepare. I just ordered the LSAT Trainer, so hopefully that will help.

Does anyone have some good strategies to balance class, work, and LSAT prep?

I will appreciate any advice so much. Thank you!

mvp99

Re: How to Balance?

Postby mvp99 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:44 pm

why do you want to become a lawyer?

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:46 pm

kyrae04 wrote:Hi Everyone! I am new to the forum (loving it so far) and am in need of some advice from experienced individuals.

I am a recent graduate. I graduated from OSU withe my BS in Biology (originally planning on going to med school) with only a 2.9 cumulative GPA. I currently work 3-12 hour (night) shifts at the University Hospital as a nurse's aide. It pays for my classes, which allows me to stay in loan deferment. Since I have only a scientific background, I am taking various courses such as public speaking, legal writing, political science, to try and help me with my law school preparations.

I guess my question is this. With working full time and taking classes three days a week for 6 hours a day, how can I fit an ample amount of time for LSAT prep? I have several books and practice tests to prepare. I just ordered the LSAT Trainer, so hopefully that will help.

Does anyone have some good strategies to balance class, work, and LSAT prep?

I will appreciate any advice so much. Thank you!

serious answer. You just do. People on TLS are parents working full time and going to school and they still study. You sacrifice working out or a sleep or a sit down meal and just gut it out

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:50 pm

could you take fewer classes? sounds like, from a purely law school admissions-based perspective, that would be the best call.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:53 pm

are you taking classes because you can't pay back your loans yet? or because you want them to prepare for law school?

you're going to learn a ton of knowledge in law school, obviously, so that really doesn't seem necessary. studying for and taking the lsat is probably the best sort of preparation.

the lsat is a huge endeavor, but it's particularly important for you given your gpa.

for two years i was teaching full time and enrolled in graduate school. it's exhausting, and i simply couldn't focus on the lsat, so i waited until i got my master's.

stray

Postby stray » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:54 pm

When are you taking the test?

It's really not easy doing school and work at the same time as LSAT, and I feel for anyone who has to go through it. Before I quit to focus on LSAT full time, I worked from 7am-8pm and it was a bitch being that mentally tired after work and having to study. I really had a tough time handling it and just had to leave. Your situation seems even rougher. But people do it, so its definitely possible. You're just going to have to sacrifice your social life and some sleep for sure.
Last edited by stray on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:59 pm

hate to agree with ilikebaseball but yeah tcr here is pretty much to just man up. Find random times during the day to work into studying. Become more efficient at everything else in your life.

however, law school is probably a pretty bad idea here. Very low GPA and apparently a good bit of undergrad debt? Not going to end well, in all likelihood.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”