maxcollen93

Disagreement about a particular LR section question

Postby maxcollen93 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:38 pm

mod edit: don't copy/paste entire LSAT questions here, they're copyrighted
Why is my reasoning wrong?

nlee10

Re: Disagreement about a particular LR section question

Postby nlee10 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:56 pm

I don't think you're allowed to copy and paste full LSAT questions on here so I would edit it....

but A is TCR because it offers a different explanation behind an ad campaign. The stimulus says that an ad campaign's purpose is to use controversial content to provoke media coverage/official public comments. Answer Choice A is says that an ad campaign's is solely to persuade its audience. The two offer different objectives behind advertising campaigns.

Not exactly the best explanation...but hope this helps!

maxcollen93

Postby maxcollen93 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:15 pm

nlee10 wrote:I don't think you're allowed to copy and paste full LSAT questions on here so I would edit it....

but A is TCR because it offers a different explanation behind an ad campaign. The stimulus says that an ad campaign's purpose is to use controversial content to provoke media coverage/official public comments. Answer Choice A is says that an ad campaign's is solely to persuade its audience. The two offer different objectives behind advertising campaigns.

Not exactly the best explanation...but hope this helps!

Fair enough, but what's to say 'controversial' is not equal to 'being persuasive' in this context? I feel like I have to assume controversial means not persuasive. Is this a common sense assumption?

stray

Postby stray » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:25 pm

maxcollen93 wrote:Is this a common sense assumption?

Yes, I think so. I think you might have been overthinking and reaching a bit with those examples you provided, but I wouldnt worry about it too much right now. I think as you do more and more, you will kind of understand what you are allowed to assume and what you arent.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:35 pm

maxcollen93 wrote: The answer is said to be 'A'. The argument (i.e. the stimulus) never discusses the 'usefulness' of the 'modified strategy'. In fact the argument is about the strategy itself, not its merits. (A) implies that 'controversy' is not persuasive. There is no indication from the stimulus this is true - hence this is an assumption. This assumption is not a 'common sense' one, in my opinion, therefore it is impossible to make such an assumption. Additionally even if we had to make an assumption about the 'usefulness', I would disagree that controversy is not persuasive. For example Fox News channel started to become more controversial from the 2000 elections, since then their ratings have increased. Another example is the Sam Harris/ Ben Affleck incident on the Bill Maher show. The controversial positions Sam Harris took led to some backlash, that backlash itself cemented/ persuaded some to adopt Sam Harris's views. So I say that 'A' cannot be the answer.

Why is my reasoning wrong?

ok so first off Ill start with your analogy of Fox... well its not very analogous. Fox is a NEWS CHANNEL which means their ratings depend on viewers... so the controversial positions did what the stimulus said, drew attention, which in TV means more ratings. But we're not necessarily looking at TV companies here, we just know it is corporate clients, so chances are people knowing about the company doesn't do anything. Say its Best Buy. If the ad is controversial it will draw coverage and will blow up the news, most likely about whatever topic is considered controversial. This could be good or bad, we dont know. Maybe people shop there because its getting attention, maybe people dont bc of the attention. What about that is persuasive?
aslo:
Controversial- giving rise or likely to give rise to public disagreement.
Persuade- cause (someone) to do something through reasoning or argument.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:38 pm

You aren't allowed to post LR questions on here, so you should edit it to just list the PT, section, and question.

Also, from what I've learned from my studies, there have been SEVERAL moments where I said "how is that right? That doesn't make any sense at all... did they make a mistake?" But when I check the manhattan forums or post it on TLS, people always give me a point of view I had not thought of or considered. The answer is "A".

af0890

Postby af0890 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:42 pm

Key word here is "successfully." They've successfully used the campaign, so their focus on something other than solely persuasiveness proved useful.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:09 pm

I'd say A is TCR because all the others must be wrong. Process of elimination.

A is an okayish answer ("controversial" implies some people aren't persuaded) but it's not obviously right, so you keep reading. The stimulus doesn't really impact B, C, or E, and it supports D. That leaves A as the best choice.

bretby

Postby bretby » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Another consideration: it's the only answer that is remotely plausible.
You're looking for the best answer among the choices provided. Don't complicate things.

NonTradLawHopeful

Postby NonTradLawHopeful » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:59 pm

You're looking for the best. Like others have said, sometimes the right answer is right because you can confidently rule out the other four. Which one do you think is better?

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:04 pm

You can't post full questions here you really need to take that down, as others have already been saying...

Just one note on your reasoning: You enter very, very dangerous territory in the LSAT when part of your reasoning includes "in my opinion." Make sure your sticking strictly to what the text says, not inserting your own thoughts into the logic chain.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:13 pm

I guess my response would be to you, give me a reason for why one of the other four seem plausible to you? Which one of the other answers seem like they could be remotely correct?

Btw: if you have any questions about future problems you can ask your question up here (just not as much of the actual lsat question shown ...I think you get that by now lol, or you can go to https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/foru ... t4002.html) both are great resources for the questions you might have!

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:11 am

Post removed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”