Hey everyone. New to the forum and need general advice.

eli2015

Hey everyone. New to the forum and need general advice.

Postby eli2015 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:30 pm

Hey guys,

I am planning to take the LSAT, however I have not set a date, but rather I have a plan in my head for a range of when I want to take it. The plan in my head is that the latest I will take the LSAT is summer 2016. I am a philiosophy major with a cumulative gpa of 3.4 and a major gpa of 3.88. The reason for my horrendous cumulative gpa is due to the lack of care for academia freshman and sophmore year of college. I was your typical party boy who cared about girls, and the gym. With that said, about two weeks ago I started studying for the lsat. I am currently studying from powerscore's logical reasoning bible, and logic games bible. I took my first diagnostic test, and let's just say lol at my score (which was 146). Due to my sad excuse of a gpa, to get into a top 15 law school I need to score in 170+ range. With all of that background information given, I currently super suck at the logical section. What are some pointers you guys can give me to help me better understand this section? And is there an efficient way to study logical reasoning, or any of the sections at all? I am extremely dedicated to scoring the 170+. I will do whatever it takes. I am currently studying about 2-6hrs a day and enjoy every moment of this studying, however I am trying to slow the studying down a bit so I dont burn myself out. Thanks to everyone in advance. :|

Smallville

Re: Hey everyone. New to the forum and need general advice.

Postby Smallville » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:39 pm

eli2015 wrote:Hey guys,

I am planning to take the LSAT, however I have not set a date, but rather I have a plan in my head for a range of when I want to take it. I am a philiosophy major with a gpa of 3.4. About two weeks ago I started studying for the lsat. I am currently studying from powerscore's logical reasoning bible, and logic games bible. I took my first diagnostic test, and scored a 146. I'm shooting for T14 so aiming for a 170+. Is there an efficient way to study logical reasoning, or any of the sections at all? I am currently studying about 2-6hrs a day and enjoy every moment of this studying, however I am trying to slow the studying down a bit so I dont burn myself out. Thanks to everyone in advance. :|

there we go...

1. The search feature is great and can lead you to a lot of answers, check it out.
2. Look into Cambridge packets and drill the question types as you learn about them in the bibles
3. Look into the trainer
4.7sage for LG explanations
As long as you take it easy and don't go all day everyday you shouldn't have a huge problem with burning out, take breaks when you need them and you'll be alright

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:46 pm

eli2015 wrote:I am currently studying about 2-6hrs a day and enjoy every moment of this studying

Lol.

Read the books. Take practice tests under realistic conditions. Drill question types to shore up weaknesses. Review mistakes and figure out why you got them wrong.

That's basically it. There's no magic bullet and nobody's elaborate study plan will guarantee you a 180. Just do the work.

eli2015

Postby eli2015 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:48 pm

Smallville wrote:
eli2015 wrote:Hey guys,

I am planning to take the LSAT, however I have not set a date, but rather I have a plan in my head for a range of when I want to take it. I am a philiosophy major with a gpa of 3.4. About two weeks ago I started studying for the lsat. I am currently studying from powerscore's logical reasoning bible, and logic games bible. I took my first diagnostic test, and scored a 146. I'm shooting for T14 so aiming for a 170+. Is there an efficient way to study logical reasoning, or any of the sections at all? I am currently studying about 2-6hrs a day and enjoy every moment of this studying, however I am trying to slow the studying down a bit so I dont burn myself out. Thanks to everyone in advance. :|

there we go...

1. The search feature is great and can lead you to a lot of answers, check it out.
2. Look into Cambridge packets and drill the question types as you learn about them in the bibles
3. Look into the trainer
4.7sage for LG explanations
As long as you take it easy and don't go all day everyday you shouldn't have a huge problem with burning out, take breaks when you need them and you'll be alright

Thanks for the tips. Should I still consider purchasing the cambridge problem sets if I have already purchased 30 prep tests?

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:50 pm

eli2015 wrote:Thanks for the tips. Should I still consider purchasing the cambridge problem sets if I have already purchased 30 prep tests?

What PT's are they?
The Cambridge packets people typically get are from PT 1-38.

eli2015

Postby eli2015 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:57 pm

nlee10 wrote:
eli2015 wrote:Thanks for the tips. Should I still consider purchasing the cambridge problem sets if I have already purchased 30 prep tests?

What PT's are they?

19-28
29-38
52-61

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:46 pm

eli2015 wrote:
nlee10 wrote:

What PT's are they?

19-28
29-38
52-61

up to you depending on money situation. General consensus is to drill pre40 (which is why Cambridge packets are so popular) and use 40+ as PT's or timed sections. plus later down the road, even though you may have drilled many of the questions from the PT's you can still take the full PT since you have it as long as you don't pick answers from memory but instead pick bc you understand why its right and everything else is wrong

eli2015

Postby eli2015 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:03 am

Smallville wrote:
eli2015 wrote:
nlee10 wrote:

What PT's are they?

19-28
29-38
52-61

up to you depending on money situation. General consensus is to drill pre40 (which is why Cambridge packets are so popular) and use 40+ as PT's or timed sections. plus later down the road, even though you may have drilled many of the questions from the PT's you can still take the full PT since you have it as long as you don't pick answers from memory but instead pick bc you understand why its right and everything else is wrong

Hmm, I'll just buy more 20 more practice tests and make my own test.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:36 am

eli2015 wrote:
Smallville wrote:up to you depending on money situation. General consensus is to drill pre40 (which is why Cambridge packets are so popular) and use 40+ as PT's or timed sections. plus later down the road, even though you may have drilled many of the questions from the PT's you can still take the full PT since you have it as long as you don't pick answers from memory but instead pick bc you understand why its right and everything else is wrong

its not about making your own tests, you want to do actual PTs when you PT. The thought process is to drill question type, especially early in prep when you're learning the types. That means say you read the chapter on Must Be True question type, you go and do say 25-50 MBT questions so you can try to grasp what you just read but through practice, then the same with Most Strongly Supported and so on. Since PTs that are newer are more reflective of current LSATs they are generally used as full PT's and since lower ones are a bit further they are broken up to be drilled so you can practice question types without ruining the more reflective PTs

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:48 am

I am a philiosophy major with a cumulative gpa of 3.4 and a major gpa of 3.88.

The latter number is worthless. The only numbers they care about are cumulative GPA+LSAT score.

Don't burn out. Graduate with more A's to boost the cumulative GPA, take the LSAT after graduation.

eli2015

Postby eli2015 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:05 pm

Smallville wrote:
eli2015 wrote:
Smallville wrote:up to you depending on money situation. General consensus is to drill pre40 (which is why Cambridge packets are so popular) and use 40+ as PT's or timed sections. plus later down the road, even though you may have drilled many of the questions from the PT's you can still take the full PT since you have it as long as you don't pick answers from memory but instead pick bc you understand why its right and everything else is wrong

its not about making your own tests, you want to do actual PTs when you PT. The thought process is to drill question type, especially early in prep when you're learning the types. That means say you read the chapter on Must Be True question type, you go and do say 25-50 MBT questions so you can try to grasp what you just read but through practice, then the same with Most Strongly Supported and so on. Since PTs that are newer are more reflective of current LSATs they are generally used as full PT's and since lower ones are a bit further they are broken up to be drilled so you can practice question types without ruining the more reflective PTs

Sorry, let me rephrase, when I said I would make my own tests I meant using questions from the actual prep tests I will purchase, just not all the questions from one test, rather mix them up. I won't do that though because the point you make about repetition and engraining the fundamentals makes more sense. Thank you for all of your input btw.

eli2015

Postby eli2015 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:06 pm

Big Dog wrote:
I am a philiosophy major with a cumulative gpa of 3.4 and a major gpa of 3.88.

The latter number is worthless. The only numbers they care about are cumulative GPA+LSAT score.

Don't burn out. Graduate with more A's to boost the cumulative GPA, take the LSAT after graduation.

Do you think if I score in the 170s with my gpa will columbia or nyu consider me as a candidate?

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:10 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eli2015

Postby eli2015 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:32 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:
eli2015 wrote:Do you think if I score in the 170s with my gpa will columbia or nyu consider me as a candidate?

Depends where in the 170's. If you get like a 171-172, it's possible but tough (more likely at NYU than Columbia). Get a 173+, and it becomes way more likely.

Check out mylsn.info

Thank you, hopefully all my studying pays off. I kinda wish I was not such a fuck up freshman and sophmore year.

eli2015

Postby eli2015 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:55 pm

Hey guys just wondering, as I look through the forum I am seeing that a large majority of top scorers claim that Manhattan LR prep book is superior to the Powerscore's LRB. While I have the LRB I do not mind spending money on a better book. what do you guys think about me purchasing the Manhattan LR prep book?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”