How to figure out "Why correct+why wrong" for each choice? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
15chocolate

New

How to figure out "Why correct+why wrong" for each choice?

Post by 15chocolate » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:40 pm

Hi,
I saw many people say that after taking PTs (especially for LR) people should figure out why correct answers are correct and why wrong answers are wrong. So we need to analyze each choice by ourselves.
But how do we know the analysis we make is correct? In other words, how can we be assured that the analysis or logic is the one behind each answer choice?
If we made wrong analysis, that would be meaningless or even can hurt us, right?
I'm just wondering...
Thanks in advance,

ilikebaseball

Gold

Re: How to figure out "Why correct+why wrong" for each choice?

Post by ilikebaseball » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:00 pm

15chocolate wrote:Hi,
I saw many people say that after taking PTs (especially for LR) people should figure out why correct answers are correct and why wrong answers are wrong. So we need to analyze each choice by ourselves.
But how do we know the analysis we make is correct? In other words, how can we be assured that the analysis or logic is the one behind each answer choice?
If we made wrong analysis, that would be meaningless or even can hurt us, right?
I'm just wondering...
Thanks in advance,
I think, the more you do, the more you start noticing patterns of wrong answers. For example, I read the question before the stimulus, and sometimes when I'm reading the stimulus I'll think "oh, I could've easily misread that. It'll probably be in one of the AC's as a trick."

I think that sorta summarizes the basics of studying for LR. You begin to notice WHY answers are wrong the more you do them, and it gets easier. When it gets easier, you have more confidence in your logic.

Idk, its sorta a difficult question to answer. You just make the right analysis. Sorta like second nature. You tell yourself "oh that's wrong for this reason" and you get to a point where you are very confident in that assessment.

15chocolate

New

Post by 15chocolate » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:13 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
I'm just wondering...
Thanks in advance,
I think, the more you do, the more you start noticing patterns of wrong answers. For example, I read the question before the stimulus, and sometimes when I'm reading the stimulus I'll think "oh, I could've easily misread that. It'll probably be in one of the AC's as a trick."

I think that sorta summarizes the basics of studying for LR. You begin to notice WHY answers are wrong the more you do them, and it gets easier. When it gets easier, you have more confidence in your logic.

Idk, its sorta a difficult question to answer. You just make the right analysis. Sorta like second nature. You tell yourself "oh that's wrong for this reason" and you get to a point where you are very confident in that assessment.
So you may not be able to recognize what makes correct ones correct and wrong ones wrong in the early stage, but will be able to notice that later on?
Also...I thought reading stimulus before choices was better but...is reading choices first actually better? Or is it just depending on individual?
Last edited by 15chocolate on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stray

Bronze

Post by stray » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:25 pm

First, I would try and explain each answer choice on my own and then I would go to Manhattan Forums and check explanations to make sure mine were correct (or if I had no idea). They have why each AC is right or wrong in their explanations. After a while you learn the patterns, and can often figure it out without their explanations.

15chocolate

New

Post by 15chocolate » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:15 pm

stray wrote:First, I would try and explain each answer choice on my own and then I would go to Manhattan Forums and check explanations to make sure mine were correct (or if I had no idea). They have why each AC is right or wrong in their explanations. After a while you learn the patterns, and can often figure it out without their explanations.
OK, so when they don't have explanations for some questions, we can just ask them right?
Do you read the stimulus first or question/choices first? Or just whichever people like?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:18 pm

15chocolate wrote: OK, so when they don't have explanations for some questions, we can just ask them right?
Do you read the stimulus first or question/choices first? Or just whichever people like?
Preference but I personally read the question stem first and then dive into the stimulus. On some question types, I try to paraphrase an answer before looking at the answer choices (like Flaw).

15chocolate

New

Post by 15chocolate » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:29 pm

nlee10 wrote:
15chocolate wrote: OK, so when they don't have explanations for some questions, we can just ask them right?
Preference but I personally read the question stem first and then dive into the stimulus. On some question types, I try to paraphrase an answer before looking at the answer choices (like Flaw).

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:48 pm

I'm firmly stimulus first before question stem.

stray

Bronze

Post by stray » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:04 pm

Yes, you can just ask them on the forum if the explanations are not adequate. You can ask on this LSAT forum as well - just reference the Test#/Section#/Question#.

I do question stem first. Others do stim first. Try out both and see which you prefer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

15chocolate

New

Post by 15chocolate » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:04 am

Thanks! :)

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:17 am

I'm just wondering...
Thanks in advance,

Agree with what folks have said, but really make sure you are Prephrasing the answer. (Predicting what the answer will look like) That really helps a lot in recognizing answers that are incorrect, and why they are incorrect.

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:11 am

You cannot figure out both for each choice. By definition, for 4 choices you can answer "why wrong" and for 1 choice you can answer "why correct".

15chocolate

New

Post by 15chocolate » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Thanks for the additional comments :)

Actually, I got another question...
what should I do if my analysis of each question and explanations in the forum are different?
Just forget what I did and stick with the explanations they have?

Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Smallville

Gold

Post by Smallville » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:13 pm

15chocolate wrote:Thanks for the additional comments :)

what should I do if my analysis of each question and explanations in the forum are different?

Thanks!
no, see what you did wrong, find out why you did that, and don't do it again, don't just forget it, use it to improve

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:33 pm

On a more serious note, you have to work out your own process for full understanding of LR concepts. Don't mind what some random explanation is saying, the basis of the process for review is simple: Why did I choose the wrong answer? What exactly in the wrong answer seemed to satisfy what the question wanted, and why it actually does not? What is different with the credited response?

After doing this for X number of times, you will gain an understanding of what LSAT wants with that type of question, and you will have a much easier time selecting the credited response.

15chocolate

New

Post by 15chocolate » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:42 pm

Smallville wrote:
15chocolate wrote:Thanks for the additional comments :)

Thanks!
no, see what you did wrong, find out why you did that, and don't do it again, don't just forget it, use it to improve
Nulli Secundus wrote:On a more serious note, you have to work out your own process for full understanding of LR concepts. Don't mind what some random explanation is saying, the basis of the process for review is simple: Why did I choose the wrong answer? What exactly in the wrong answer seemed to satisfy what the question wanted, and why it actually does not? What is different with the credited response?

After doing this for X number of times, you will gain an understanding of what LSAT wants with that type of question, and you will have a much easier time selecting the credited response.
Thanks! It seems I should take more time for reviewing than I thought.
Btw after reviewing, do you re-do the same questions or move to new ones?
Also...do people use this review process for RC choices as well?

eli2015

New

Post by eli2015 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:06 pm

If it is a PT question what I have been doing is figuring out for myself why I got it wrong, and then going to 7sage's explanations of the questions to see if I was right or atleast on the right track. But tbh I have been lurking around the forums and reading a lot of posts, and mostly everyone says when you drill so much you pick up on why you got things wrong or right. It's drilling with a motive, rather than just drilling.

15chocolate

New

Post by 15chocolate » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:04 pm

eli2015 wrote:If it is a PT question what I have been doing is figuring out for myself why I got it wrong, and then going to 7sage's explanations of the questions to see if I was right or atleast on the right track. But tbh I have been lurking around the forums and reading a lot of posts, and mostly everyone says when you drill so much you pick up on why you got things wrong or right. It's drilling with a motive, rather than just drilling.
I see...Thanks! :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”