Which path to take?

tezzeret

Which path to take?

Postby tezzeret » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:17 pm

So here's the story, been studying for my retake since July. Last PT I took was in November and I was around the mid 150's, so I've been drilling packets/individual sections since. As it stands I go about -5 to -8 per LR section and -0 to -4 LG (only get questions wrong if I hit a LG section that I don't finish in time) and I really haven't touched RC (-7 to -10 on avg). I'm kinda lost as to where t go from here as I feel almost like I plateaued and I really wanted to take the February exam (after already postponing Oct/Dec exams) because I don't want to studying for another 5 months (which will bring me to almost a year of studying). For the schools I want to go to I need a 160+ (probably as close to 170 as possible because of my abysmal GPA), so I really need to clean up my LR. Any advice/strategies you guys have please let me know so I can breakthrough and finally move past this exam already.

pjanderson5

Re: Which path to take?

Postby pjanderson5 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:50 pm

I am in a similar boat, I got a 157 on the Dec test when I was averaging 163. I have one semester of school left, so I am going to take the Oct test because i'm jaded with studying during school. I am going to take it lighter until the end of May/June then go hard. I am purchasing the 7sage starter kit for LR, reading the Manhattan books and Trainer, and drilling Cambridge packets for question type. After that I want to be able to hit LR sections with 0-2 wrong because that is the best way to bring up your score (other than LG perfection which it sounds like you're close to). I am going to drill RC until I find a method that works and then take every PT from 38-74 (even though i've done many of the questions/sections from these tests and did about 20 PT's).

It sounds like you would benefit most from taking a month off and starting fresh. But that's just my two cents.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:31 am

Can you spare the cash for a tutor? Hit up your local craigslist and look for the person w the highest score. Chat on the phone to make sure they are coherent. If they can put their ideas together well in a conversation, they probably can explain how they perceive the lsat. Most will offer a free first session.

With a serious plataeu it seems like you might need outside intervention.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:37 am

BillsFan9907 wrote:Can you spare the cash for a tutor? Hit up your local craigslist and look for the person w the highest score. Chat on the phone to make sure they are coherent. If they can put their ideas together well in a conversation, they probably can explain how they perceive the lsat. Most will offer a free first session.

With a serious plataeu it seems like you might need outside intervention.

What? No. Don't do this. There's a ton of good guides on TLS about how to prepare for the LSAT. If you haven't looked at the Manhattan guides, use those. If you haven't looked at the power-score guides, take a look at them. Paying some random guy on the internet isn't going to help you with the test, as long as you avoid getting bogged down on off-topics, there's a wealth of free information floating around this site.

Also, don't go to law school.

tezzeret

Postby tezzeret » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:36 am

I've went through the Manhattan books and PS bible's multiple times already. I know strategies for the various question types, yet I still get tripped up on some questions. One thing I noticed which slows me down is when a question is worded in a such a way that on the surface it masks what kind of question it is and I feel that I waste a few seconds trying to figure out what archetype it falls into. (These question stems are rare but pop up from time to time). Overall I've been marking it down, and I realized that I usually get the same question types wrong, Parallel reasoning (usually because I skip them until the end because it takes me the most amount of time, unless it's one of the earlier questions), most strongly supported, and flaw/vulnerable archetypes. I guess really the best course of action is to drill those types. I spent a lot of time with the Cambridge packets, and had pretty good success but I guess it's not coming together when I do a full section.

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:07 am

It's hard to offer advice when the last PT you took was in November. Surely your scores would hopefully have changed since then if you've been studying the right way? And if you've been studying and your score hasn't changed then you need to do something differently. If you have trouble with missing some of the common question types like most strongly supported and flaw questions then you need to drill. Redo the Cambridge packets of you have to and drill, using whatever prep book you've been using as a guide. And there's tons of free advice on here. Use the forum search, look at the people who scored 160+ thread, or look at one of the study group threads

tezzeret

Postby tezzeret » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:40 pm

I've taken two more PT's since my last post and they were 155 and 152, so my score hasn't moved from my previous average. I'm definitely doing something wrong because after almost 7 months studying there has to be an explanation as to why my score isn't budging. On one hand for my latest PT (63) the first section was LR and I tried a new approach, favoring accuracy over speed, and I ended up going -9 on that section, but -6 of it was questions guessed on due to time. For the second LR section I don't know what went wrong (probably fatigue as I realized despite my months of practice, I haven't done many PT's to build up that endurance as this is only the 7th PT I've taken since July). Also I noticed for the recent LG sections I always crush 3/4 games but there is always 1 game that kills me, and it really shouldn't because I usually have a decent amount of time by the 4th game (usually 10 minutes+).

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:46 pm

If you're scoring well on the cambridge packets, but it isn't transferring over to the PTs, it sounds like a timing issue. The best advice might be just to postpone until June simply because there's no rush to take Feb if you're not applying this year. If you are really putting in the time on the packets and really understanding the concepts, try doing an untamed test and see how well you do. Or attempt to take a test and use the BR method so you can see what your ceiling truly is.

ETA: take more practice with LG. you should be able to consistently get -0 untimed and -1 or -2 timed just case you get unlucky. Also, the biggest increase in score you will see will be if you can get LR down. Try out the manhattan forums for question answers to questions you don't understand.

tezzeret

Postby tezzeret » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:30 am

I was doing BR on said PT (63) and out of 6/9 questions I got wrong, those 6 being due to time, when I actually attempted during BR I got 5/6 right. I've been noticing that timing is probably the single biggest issue for me. There are many times when I do BR and get to questions I didn't have time to do that I get right/were really easy. The worst thing is not being able to give every question a shot. Like running out of time with 6 untouched questions is horrible because there's a good chance at least some of them will be easy points.

msp8

Postby msp8 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:01 pm

If timing is the issue, then you need to do everything ... more. You need to review your notes/books. Then drill. Then take PTs. Basically, timing is an issue when you're not as up on things as you think you are.

NL2424

Postby NL2424 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:05 pm

The one less traveled

tezzeret

Postby tezzeret » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:33 pm

zacboro wrote:The one less traveled
I think I did that already...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”