Advice please, I'll probably need to re-take.

flash21

Advice please, I'll probably need to re-take.

Postby flash21 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:15 am

Hello everyone!

So I'll probably need to re-take. Got 157 on December after PT'ing very closely around 160-162, with a 164 outlier and a 156 outlier on that September test that had the nasty LR section. The 156 was the lowest that I had PT'ed out of all of my PT's.

So my breakdown was:

-8 LG (missed the first 3 Q's out of sheer anxiety), (and -5 is about what I typically did for LG)
- 12 RC (this is why I'm retaking bascially lol) (a lot worse than usual)
-6 LR (typical)
-6 LR (typical)

So obviously my RC needs some work. The -12 RC was the worst RC I had every done on a PT and of course it happens on game day.

Howd I feel on the day of the test?

- stressed
-slept about 3 hours tops (anxious)
- also had been in the thick of things of exam time (last year undergrad)

Anyway enough excuses, now that you know my situation..

I am re-taking the 7sage course currently and will begin studying again. I've got a semester of undergrad left and so I doubt I'll be able to go hard-core with my studying up until April, but nonetheless I would like to study lightly.

Anyone have some advice on how I can study with limited time, yet effectively? I've got a fairly good idea on how to improve on LR / games, I feel like I've yet to figure out RC even with all the advice I've read and passages I did.

Would very much appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance for the help.

Smallville

Re: Advice please, I'll probably need to re-take.

Postby Smallville » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:22 am

flash21 wrote:Hello everyone!

So I'll probably need to re-take. Got 157 on December after PT'ing very closely around 160-162, with a 164 outlier and a 156 outlier on that September test that had the nasty LR section. The 156 was the lowest that I had PT'ed out of all of my PT's.

So my breakdown was:

-8 LG (missed the first 3 Q's out of sheer anxiety), (and -5 is about what I typically did for LG)
- 12 RC (this is why I'm retaking bascially lol) (a lot worse than usual)
-6 LR (typical)
-6 LR (typical)

So obviously my RC needs some work. The -12 RC was the worst RC I had every done on a PT and of course it happens on game day.

- stressed
- also had been in the thick of things of exam time (last year undergrad)

Anyway enough excuses, now that you know my situation..

I am re-taking the 7sage course currently and will begin studying again. I've got a semester of undergrad left and so I doubt I'll be able to go hard-core with my studying up until April, but nonetheless I would like to study lightly.

Anyone have some advice on how I can study with limited time, yet effectively? I've got a fairly good idea on how to improve on LR / games, I feel like I've yet to figure out RC even with all the advice I've read and passages I did.

Would very much appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance for the help.

So basically you were in terrible shape to take the Dec but you dont wanna deal with another take so your very iffy even though you know you can do better and still have plenty of time since LS goes no where :P It's hard to say. I want to say avoid going out, spend free time studying and reviewing problems you do to make the most out of it but I enjoyed UG, especially my last semester so Im weary to say that.... remember taking a cycle off inbetween UG and LS isnt a terrible thing and if it can mean enough time to properly prepare for your best possible score... its worth it

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:25 am

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:26 am

If I were you, I'd just wait this cycle out. Spend a month out having fun. Then, in February, ramp up the studying. Take 32 minute section, timed bubbling PT's. Start over. In June score in the mid 160's (totally possible) and be one of the first applicants to send in applications in the 2016 cycle.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:27 am

Hi Jgoods,

Well basically as a Canadian, my applications were mandatory to be in for November so when I say "I'll probably have to re-take", I'm meaning that if I somehow get in I won't re-take, but if I don't I'd like to be fairly prepared to kill June / October of 2015!

EDIT: I agree with you guys, if my apps weren't already in, I'd sit it out for sure.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:04 pm

Appreciate the advice guys but nobody has really answered my question (not trying to sound rude). Any suggestions on how to best use limited time to most effectively prepare until I graduate?

The Avatar

Postby The Avatar » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:55 pm

Did you apply this cycle? I have friends who applied this cycle with a 154-157 and got it into schools like Ottawa, Windsor, etc. With a 160+ you're pretty much good for most Canadian schools except U of T where a 165+ is needed.

Re-write June with more than enough time to bump up that 157 to 160+.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:33 pm

Hey avatar,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I already applied, although I wouldn't have if I knew I would have got 157.

Thanks that makes me feel better! I feel like I had a strong PS and a few good volunteer things, so Windsor would be nice for sure.

I'll definitely do or die 160++ in the next re-take if I don't get in.

stray

Postby stray » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:54 am

flash21 wrote:

- stressed
- also had been in the thick of things of exam time

Dealt with the same bullshit during Dec. Try exercising daily to reduce stress, and maybe try mediation. I've been doing it for the past month and think it helps. I've also heard from several friends and coworkers who say good things about it (JY Ping and a Scientific American article were the things that eventually convinced me though). About the sleep - I got maybe 3 hours as well. I'm been toying with some melatonin for the past few days. I'll let you know how it goes.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:12 am

thanks - - yeah I''ve been meaning to try meditation but I've been horrible at actually just DOING it. I am aware of the benefits though, thanks let me know how it goes

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”