Dumb question about drilling but I'll ask anyway...

bnssweeney

Dumb question about drilling but I'll ask anyway...

Postby bnssweeney » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:27 pm

When people say they are "drilling" LG questions do they mean the same type of questions or one particular question over and over?

flash21

Re: Dumb question about drilling but I'll ask anyway...

Postby flash21 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:51 pm

Could be either:

could be doing : one game over and over (fool proof method), could be doing many different games of various types, could be doing games of all the same type.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:29 am

Not a dumb question at all.

How I Drill Logic Games
Buy this Cambridge LG Book.
Make multiple copies of each game.
Do a game.
Watch the 7 Sage Explanation for that game.
Get a fresh copy of that game and do it again, incorporating what you learned.
Watch the video again if needed.
Move onto the next game and repeat the process.
Do the games you did again the next day and see if you remember how to set them up and solve them. If not, watch the video again. Do those same games several days later & beyond, all the while adding more games into your rotation.
It's a tedious process, but you're guaranteed to improve by drilling like this. Similar inferences can be made across all games and you are able to make them correctly and quickly the more experience you get.

bnssweeney

Postby bnssweeney » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:46 am

Dirigo wrote:Not a dumb question at all.

How I Drill Logic Games
Buy this Cambridge LG Book.
Make multiple copies of each game.
Do a game.
Watch the 7 Sage Explanation for that game.
Get a fresh copy of that game and do it again, incorporating what you learned.
Watch the video again if needed.
Move onto the next game and repeat the process.
Do the games you did again the next day and see if you remember how to set them up and solve them. If not, watch the video again. Do those same games several days later & beyond, all the while adding more games into your rotation.
It's a tedious process, but you're guaranteed to improve by drilling like this. Similar inferences can be made across all games and you are able to make them correctly and quickly the more experience you get.

Thanks for the response and clarification.

I have the Blueprint Logic Games book and I think I'll finish that before I move onto purchasing another book. They have some examples from real LSATs so I'll use those.

I also printed out different LG sections from previous tests. I think I can use a method similar to the one you just mentioned.

And yes, it does sound tedious :oops: but in the end it'll be worth it (I hope).

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:17 am

If you got the blueprint LG book then I'm pretty sure that comes with video lessons and explainations so you can use those in the process outlined above. I think blueprint does a very good job with games however I recommend watching both the blueprint videos you have and also some of the 7sage videos. They use slightly different techniques and notation, most notably for grouping games where I think 7sage takes it one step further than blueprint in making the inferences easily diagrammed. Knowing the different methods also makes you more flexible so you'll have more tools to use if you are thrown a crazy game on test day.

bnssweeney

Postby bnssweeney » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:34 pm

Another question

If I use the same games over and over, won't I just memorize the question and its answers?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:39 pm

bnssweeney wrote:Another question

If I use the same games over and over, won't I just memorize the question and its answers?

Well there are 80 games in that book, and another 80 in the PT1-20 book, but drilling is really about going through the motions and learning the most effective setups and learn to make the proper inferences. Obviously there will be a level of familiarity, but that's the point of drilling--really drilling the setups and inferences into your head so you can then turn around and apply them to fresh games.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”