How to schedule my studying?

Braydenslv

How to schedule my studying?

Postby Braydenslv » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:16 am

Hi all, I'm currently a freshman in college, and am hoping for a shot at the top of the T14 schools. I've done my homework on the LSAT and have several necessary materials, including around 60 Preptests. Seeing as I have a couple of years before I take the test for real, my concern is that I'll run out of materials. I took the June 2007 Preptest and got a 159 (-10 LR, -7 LG, -6 RC).

I'm obviously not going to study intensely right now, but I was planning to gradually ramp up studying as the test date gets closer. I've read that many people in the last couple of months take multiple tests a week. Also, what ratio should I divide the tests by section to drill and the tests to take under real conditions? Thanks in advance.

Clemenceau

Re: How to schedule my studying?

Postby Clemenceau » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:29 am

Brayden, you sound like a smart kid, probably smart enough to major in something practical and employable, while maintaining a good gpa and developing basic networking skills. Do that, and don't look back.

Sincerely,
A disgruntled double language major

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:00 am

You really don't need to start studying for the LSAT as a freshman. Remember that your GPA is almost as important as the LSAT is, and that locks in at graduation. Focus on that right now and worry about the LSAT later. Study in the summer before taking the October LSAT if you're K-JDing, but really, studying for the LSAT when you're still in school is frankly a poor allocation of resources.

WordPass

Postby WordPass » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:56 am

That's already a good cold score, and while I agree you don't need to do any intense studying, I DO think you should do some basic stuff as a freshman (or at least, it would help). Some will tell you you should focus on your GPA, and you absolutely should, but you can do that and also study lightly for the LSAT without any problems.

What I mainly suggest you should focus on is the Logic Games section of the LSAT. That is, learn the rules and do some of the basic games. This is one section where almost anyone can do very well, and repetition is key. There is a learning curve on LG (and knowing the rules, how to diagram them, etc. will help you get over the hump). Also, you can save a TON of time (and maybe focus on other sections) later in you prep if you know these rules and how to diagram them (familiarity!) sooner rather than later.

Braydenslv

Postby Braydenslv » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:16 am

Thanks for the reply. I'll be sure to start on the games. I guess my question is how to study for them (and all parts of the LSAT) without eating up too much of my materials. Since I should only use real questions, is there a danger that I might take tests for which I have already done some questions?

The Abyss

Postby The Abyss » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:23 am

Take classes at your university that will help you with the LSAT. I imagine your school's philosophy department offers formal logic, take it. Take some lit or philosophy classes that require reading and analyzing dense, difficult material. You won't be exhausting any of your LSAT materials, but you will be indirectly helping yourself with the LSAT.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:53 am

Braydenslv wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'll be sure to start on the games. I guess my question is how to study for them (and all parts of the LSAT) without eating up too much of my materials. Since I should only use real questions, is there a danger that I might take tests for which I have already done some questions?

well most people prevent this by not starting prep 3/4 years early... but like seriously... enjoy college and get a killer GPA. you will hate urself if LSAT ends up killing ur GPA and u cant do anything about it down the road (or get annoyed with LSAT and not care for it by junior year)

Louis1127

Postby Louis1127 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:07 am

Don't forget to accept that life happens sometimes and you will get off of your schedule.

Maybe even make some "rainy days/couple of days" into your schedule (where you just catch up or whatever, if that strikes your fancy.

Sounds like you are one of those ppl that likes to schedule things out and follow them to a T. That's good but don't do what I did and get frustrated when life happens. Sometimes the schedule just doesn;t pan out completely. And if you have to delay or retake, it's only 80 or 165 bucks, chump change compared to the $ associated with a good LSAT score.

NL2424

Postby NL2424 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:58 am

Last edited by NL2424 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:59 am

zacboro wrote:Pick a LSAT date, the earliest should be Feb of your junior year, latest should be October of your Senior year. Then leave this site and LSAT prep until about 8 months before that test date. Come back and ask again!

sorry kiddo, "the earliest" eh take when ready... if scoring 175+ consistently in early jr year or earlier, theres no reason to really restrict taking it until a certain time frame and there definitely is no "latest date" ... nor does he have to leave the site as even when not studying or light studying, one can still learn things

tuhaybey

Postby tuhaybey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:21 am

Braydenslv wrote:Hi all, I'm currently a freshman in college, and am hoping for a shot at the top of the T14 schools. I've done my homework on the LSAT and have several necessary materials, including around 60 Preptests. Seeing as I have a couple of years before I take the test for real, my concern is that I'll run out of materials. I took the June 2007 Preptest and got a 159 (-10 LR, -7 LG, -6 RC).

I'm obviously not going to study intensely right now, but I was planning to gradually ramp up studying as the test date gets closer. I've read that many people in the last couple of months take multiple tests a week. Also, what ratio should I divide the tests by section to drill and the tests to take under real conditions? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, if you really go for it, running out of practice tests can be a problem. But, note that not all practice tests are created equal. There are the actual LSATs given in the past. Is that the 60 you have? But, there are also practice LSAT created by organizations like Kaplan and others. They aren't quite as good- unsurprisingly the actual LSATs seem to be slightly more accurate reflections of what actual LSATs are like. But, they're still pretty good. And, as I recall, the older LSATs were not as good of a predictor as the newer ones.

What I would do is to try to get another batch of about 60 more. Spread out the actual ones, maybe leaving a stack of them for the last two months, and use the other ones more at the start and to stretch the actual ones. Maybe also leave some of the most recent LSATs for the very end.

Braydenslv

Postby Braydenslv » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:24 am

I have a feeling I'm being misunderstood a bit. I'm not someone who's going to devote my life to the LSAT for three years. I've found that I do best on standardized tests over a long period rather than cramming it all in a few months (I get that this is ideal for most people, just not for me.) All I'm asking is a way to optimize my habits so that my materials don't run out. This does not mean I'm taking any PrepTests now or in the immediate future. I'd just like help on how to familiarize myself with the concepts and possibly delve shallowly into test-specific strategies for the long term.

I understand my particular way of strategizing may be unfamiliar and unorthodox for most people here, but not to be too headstrong about this, I wouldn't be posting here if I was the typical case. I came because I know you're all top-notch, and I wanted good advice from the best. Sorry if I confused you!
Last edited by Braydenslv on Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:27 am

tuhaybey wrote:Yeah, if you really go for it, running out of practice tests can be a problem. But, note that not all practice tests are created equal. There are the actual LSATs given in the past. Is that the 60 you have? But, there are also practice LSAT created by organizations like Kaplan and others. They aren't quite as good- unsurprisingly the actual LSATs seem to be slightly more accurate reflections of what actual LSATs are like. But, they're still pretty good. And, as I recall, the older LSATs were not as good of a predictor as the newer ones.

What I would do is to try to get another batch of about 60 more. Spread out the actual ones, maybe leaving a stack of them for the last two months, and use the other ones more at the start and to stretch the actual ones. Maybe also leave some of the most recent LSATs for the very end.

if its not LSAC LSAT dont do it, especially Kaplan... eww

If you are going to start now anyways I would recommend drilling with pre-30's PT's (very normal) and when you get to a comfortable part of prep to PT use 30-50's and when you finish... redo them again(or even the pre-30s PT's) and save the more recent ones for when you are getting closer to actually taking (unless ur really planning to take right after freshman year...) retaking PT's is not a terrible thing and can still be used to help you! but new ones are much better getting used to current LSAT tests

eta: get the trainer, Manahattan/PS Bibles, read through and do some drilling (cambridge packets) as you go through each section... obvi nothing crazy as you just stated in recent post but it will help get down fundamentals and that

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”