How to study for the June LSAT?

Stylnator

How to study for the June LSAT?

Postby Stylnator » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:55 pm

So far I have purchased the following: Superprep, trainer, Manhattan LR, RC, and the powerscore LG bible. I feel like I have set myself up for failure by taking the June LSAT because it means having to study during the semester (I am a full time student). This is the schedule I have created so far:

January: Finish Trainer
PT: 51, Superprep B, Superprep C – All untimed
February: Finish Powerscore bible + Manhattan LR + RC
PT: 52, 53, 54, Superprep C
March: Drills
PT: 55, 56, 57, 58
April: PTs 59, 60, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69
May: PTs 70, 71, 72, 73, 74

Should I start drilling now? I am just sitting here having a slight panic attack that I didn't start studying sooner. Any wisdom on when to drill, start taking PTs regularly, etc. would be much appreciated. My diagnostic was a 149 w/the weakest being LG.

Edit: goal is 170+

Rigo

Re: How to study for the June LSAT?

Postby Rigo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:13 pm

June Study Group: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=230875

I don't understand why you are planning to take more preptests before even addressing your weakest area (The Trainer isn't great for LG). You should be drilling way before March and before you take PTs.

My recommended materials & LG drilling strategy:
Dirigo wrote:For Starting Out (Covering All Sections)
The LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim ( http://www.thelsattrainer.com/ )
For Logic Games
The Powerscore LSAT Logic Games Bible
7Sage Online LSAT Prep(My personal favorite)
For Logical Reasoning
The Powerscore LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible
Manhattan Logical Reasoning Strategy Guide (My Personal Favorite)
For Reading Comprehension
The Powerscore LSAT Reading Comprehension Bible
Manhattan Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide

Materials For Drilling
Cambridge LSAT Bundles

On their cold diagnostic, people tend to have the most trouble with logic games. To solve them effectively and efficiently, you'll have to learn a new language of sorts (i.e. diagramming). Fortunately, logic games is also the one section where it is easiest to see dramatic improvement.

How to Drill Logic Games
Buy this Cambridge LG Book.
Make multiple copies of each game.
Do a game.
Watch the 7 Sage Explanation for that game.
Get a fresh copy of that game and do it again, incorporating what you learned.
Watch the video again if needed.
Move onto the next game and repeat the process.
Do the games you did again the next day and see if you remember how to set them up and solve them. If not, watch the video again.
It's a tedious process, but you're guaranteed to improve by drilling like this. Similar inferences can be made across all games and you are able to make them correctly and quickly the more experience you get.

NL2424

Postby NL2424 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:16 pm

Last edited by NL2424 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:18 pm

from my previous post to a user with a similar question (search function is your friend):

LR - manhattan + lsat trainer + drill cambridge packets according to question type
LG - blueprint + drill game types
RC - LSAT trainer and honestly just drill the shit out of the packets for RC.

use the bibles for conditional logic lessons.

drill drill drill drill. repeat. drill drill drill drill.

take untimed sections. move into timed sections 3 months out. do timed PTs 1.5/2 months out. 3 a week. and drill in between.

enjoy a 170+ score and t-14s

wish you luck

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:19 pm

Don't drill before you finish The Trainer and whatever LG book you are going to use since you don't even know how to tackle problems at this point. But consistent drilling should be your foundation once you finish your introduction to the material. That's why the Cambridge Drilling Packets/Bundles are extremely useful and almost necessary.

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:21 pm

make sure to also leave time to review COMPLETELY exams 60-73/74. wish i had

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:24 pm

Dirigo wrote:Don't drill before you finish The Trainer and whatever LG book you are going to use since you don't even know how to tackle problems at this point. But consistent drilling should be your foundation once you finish your introduction to the material. That's why the Cambridge Drilling Packets/Bundles are extremely useful and almost necessary.

seconded. you've got so much time that you need to go through the LG games packets at least twice.

studying with school WILL be harder (trust me). if you're the kind of person who goes out, you have a make an adjustment for a semester. cut down/eliminate drinking and focus on grades first and then lsat. don't overdo and burnout by February. think: jan-feb: moderate pace. feb-march: pick it up. april-may: full speed

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:48 pm

Dirigo wrote:Don't drill before you finish The Trainer and whatever LG book you are going to use since you don't even know how to tackle problems at this point. But consistent drilling should be your foundation once you finish your introduction to the material. That's why the Cambridge Drilling Packets/Bundles are extremely useful and almost necessary.

I'm definitely planning on purchasing the cambridge packets once I finish the trainer. I've modified my schedule to start drilling after the trainer (thank you!) but am going to leave the PTs where they are because I want to give myself the test environment + become comfortable with the time constraints of the exam. Also thanks for your guide of materials, I really appreciate it.

zacboro wrote:All you can do is start. I was obsessive like this and tried to plan everything out down to a T. But you can't, don't freak out you've definitely got enough time just take your studying step by step.

I've planned to modify what I need to drill as I discover my strengths/weaknesses. But you're right. Off to the library tomorrow to just get right down to it!

cavalier2015 wrote:make sure to also leave time to review COMPLETELY exams 60-73/74. wish i had

Thanks for this piece of advice -- will do! I've read that reviewing is one of the most crucial parts of prep.

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Just chiming in to say that I did something similar to Dirigo's LG drilling method and it totally works for time management too. I was freaking out a few weeks before the test because I was going -1 on LG but I couldn't finish the section in time to save my life. I dropped PTs for that entire week and just drilled LG that way non-stop for a few days, and when I started PTing again I saw dramatic improvements in time management. Really wish I'd started doing it earlier, I think it would have helped tons on game day.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:01 pm

Stylnator wrote:January: Finish Trainer
PT: 51, Superprep B, Superprep C – All untimed

Stylnator wrote:I've modified my schedule to start drilling after the trainer (thank you!) but am going to leave the PTs where they are because I want to give myself the test environment + become comfortable with the time constraints of the exam. Also thanks for your guide of materials, I really appreciate it.

Kind of illogical to think that taking untimed tests will make you more comfortable with the time constraints of the exam though, no?

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Dirigo wrote:Kind of illogical to think that taking untimed tests will make you more comfortable with the time constraints of the exam though, no?

Start out slow to get faster has always worked for me. Especially right now because I know the time constraints are something I have difficult with.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:24 pm

Stylnator wrote:
Dirigo wrote:Kind of illogical to think that taking untimed tests will make you more comfortable with the time constraints of the exam though, no?

Start out slow to get faster has always worked for me. Especially right now because I know the time constraints are something I have difficult with.

Rigo has a point. Even if you wanted an untimed score, your BR score will essentially be that.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”