For those who scored > 170, what is your LR PT average? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
konoha

New

For those who scored > 170, what is your LR PT average?

Post by konoha » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:40 pm

Hi,
I was wondering how long it took for you to improve from average of ~ -6 to < -3 for LR and what was the significant change in studying that took you there.

Also if you scored > 170 what is your average PT LR untimed and timed scores?

Thanks.

Kobaine51

Bronze

Re: For those who scored > 170, what is your LR PT average?

Post by Kobaine51 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:57 pm

First priority: drill as many questions as you can. Try to do at least 1000 before the test, go over all of the ones you get wrong and figure out the right answers. This works on speed. ~90% of LR questions are simple reiterations of a formula, so the brute force will help you plow through these come test time.

Second priority: Learn the principles, the other ~10% of questions are hard because of novel and deliberately confusing formats - when you find these, I would recommend going the Manhattan LSAT forums where their solutions will be explained in detail. Make sure you can understand not just why the answers are correct, but also the thought process that will lead to a correct answer from the beginning.

NL2424

Silver

Post by NL2424 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:03 pm

Last edited by NL2424 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:50 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&start=25

That thread has all my PT scores. It was around 5 wrong answers (2 sections combined) towards the end of my prep. I got a 170 on first try, basically did only a week of prep between October and December and got a 176 in December.

konoha

New

Post by konoha » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:48 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&start=25

That thread has all my PT scores. It was around 5 wrong answers (2 sections combined) towards the end of my prep. I got a 170 on first try, basically did only a week of prep between October and December and got a 176 in December.
you kick ass. question... at your level, how much time do you have at the end of LR to go back and review? do you prioritize difficult questions last for LR?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

konoha

New

Post by konoha » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:50 pm

zacboro wrote:Are you Blind Reviewing? BR works best with LR IMO. And hop on over to the February 2015 Study Group, even if you're not taking the test in February posting questions in there is probably better than making a new thread.
Thanks, Ill check out the thread. Yes, I've been blind reviewing and I feel its been helping tremendously.

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:52 pm

konoha wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&start=25

you kick ass. question... at your level, how much time do you have at the end of LR to go back and review? do you prioritize difficult questions last for LR?
I usually had around at least 5-10 minutes to go back to the few questions I might have skipped. That is basically what you must do, do the questions with short stems carefully but quickly, if something takes more time than you can spare for a single question, skip and get back to it later.

ETA: Basically, the closer you get your first 15 questions to 10 minute mark, the better. It is not attainable for everyone or for all tests, but it is a goal worth working for if you really want to score high. Every extra second will help for some of the annoying parallel reasoning questions you will encounter towards the end.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:27 am

konoha wrote:Hi,
I was wondering how long it took for you to improve from average of ~ -6 to < -3 for LR and what was the significant change in studying that took you there.

Also if you scored > 170 what is your average PT LR untimed and timed scores?

Thanks.
Scored 173. I was averaging 2-4 wrong in LR, with a couple of outliers on either side. I just took about a dozen PTs, all timed.

hill1334

New

Post by hill1334 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:45 am

Just got back my 173. LR was my strongest area from the start, and I never really improved much through studying. With that said, I think the best thing you can do is buy the Cambridge LR packets (which are sorted by type), go through each type entirely under timed conditions, and then work extensively on improving the types you struggle the most on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twitterati

Bronze

Post by twitterati » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:40 pm

After doing ~30 PTs (all under timed, test conditions), my combined missed LR questions averaged -4 by the time I sat for the real LSAT. On the day of the test, I missed total of 3 LR questions.

For reference: on my first diagnostic test, I missed 10 LR questions total. Within three PTs, it came down to -6 or so and I was able to bring it below -5 towards the very end of my studying period (about 2.5 months).

redhead90

New

Post by redhead90 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:48 pm

This sounds really douchy, but I averaged -3 when I first started doing LR sections they were just kind of my thing. I did improve to around -1 with PTs though, and I really do think just doing as many as you possibly can stand over and over is the best way to improve. I don't think it's a good use of time to break all the problems down into type of question and such, the only type of question that really stood out to me was parallel the reasoning and just because they're such insane time burners sometimes. I don't think there's a magical method, just have to be really aggressive and slog through a bunch spending a lot of time looking over your mistakes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”