Study all sections at the same time, or one at a time?

CPAlawHopefu

Study all sections at the same time, or one at a time?

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:32 pm

Two weeks into studying so far,

here are my prep materials:
PS Bible (all three - LG, LR, RC)
Mike's Trainer

Additional books I'm considering:
MLSAT (LR, RC)
Blueprint (LG)

So far, I've only been working on the PS Bible LG since that is by far my weakest section, and I just finished chapter 4 (advanced linear games). I've also started reading Mike's Trainer because most people recommend that I should start my prep with it. Mike's Trainer starts with the LR section. Hence the problem.

Would it be better if I finish the LG Bible entirely before starting fresh with LR? or should I get a head start in LR using Mike's Trainer while simultaneously working through the LG Bible? Mike recommends that I follow his study plan but that will mess up my pre-existing study plan. But I want to make the most out of his book.

I'm sure it could work either way but I just want your feedbacks on each method in terms of effectiveness and efficiency.

Current Plan:

1. Work through LG Bible while simultaneously building foundation on LR using the Trainer. (Now to end of January)
2. Once done with LG Bible, move onto LR Bible (still go through the Trainer). (February to March)
3. By the time I'm done with both Bibles, I should be somewhat close to finishing up with the Trainer. (done by end of March)
4. After finishing up with the Trainer, go through the Drill using the Cambridge packet. (April)
5. Depending on my weakness, get either Manhattan LR or Blueprint LG to improve on the tough sections. (May to July)
6. Drill drill drill, PT PT PT. (July - September)
7. October LSAT

Thanks TLS.

RZ5646

Re: Study all sections at the same time, or one at a time?

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:09 pm

First I'll say that I also had a very elaborate long-term study plan, and it didn't work at all. Maybe you have more willpower than I do, but it's very difficult to study for the LSAT when it is more than 6 months away and you have more important or engaging things to do in the present. It's also probably unnecessary to study so long anyway, unless your diagnostic was like 140. I suggest you either chill out and not worry about the LSAT at all until summer, or switch to the June test and save October for a retake if you need it.

I think you should only seriously study one section at a time. While doing the LG Bible you can also read about LR and do the occasional section just to make sure you're staying sharp, but don't try to focus on two things at once.

NL2424

Postby NL2424 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:33 pm

Last edited by NL2424 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:34 am

This sounds like a good plan but then again most long term plans "look" good. It's all about your willpower. I tried long term and it was somewhat successful (waiting so december score so I guess we will see just how successful). I wish you luck

CPAlawHopefu

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:50 am

Great advice from everyone.

I gave myself plenty of time because my schedule is pretty tight with a full time job so I can only give myself maximum maybe 15-18 hrs a week to studying. But now I'm considering writing for the June exam and am tweaking the study plan to allow for it. June might actually be better since it gives me a plenty of time to prepare applications and submit early for ED at select schools.

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:07 am

I'd recommend studying skills together. For example, the same diagramming principles that pertain to LR are also important for LG, and it's helpful to study/apply them in tandem.

Best of luck,

Blueprint LSAT Prep

NL2424

Postby NL2424 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:18 am

Last edited by NL2424 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:25 am

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CPAlawHopefu

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:43 pm

zacboro wrote:What was your diagnostic again?

downbeat14 wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:Great advice from everyone.

I gave myself plenty of time because my schedule is pretty tight with a full time job so I can only give myself maximum maybe 15-18 hrs a week to studying. But now I'm considering writing for the June exam and am tweaking the study plan to allow for it. June might actually be better since it gives me a plenty of time to prepare applications and submit early for ED at select schools.

Good god do NOT apply ED under any circumstances (or anything binding)!!!!! Ahhhh

As to the original line of questioning, I think you should take June. You have PLENTY of time, and it's at 12:30 instead of 8:30 like the other administrations.

In terms of planning, I did a longer term plan bc I had work stuff going on. I think at the beginning it makes sense to "focus" on one section at a time, but making sure not to let new skills atrophy. I.e. focus on LG for a couple weeks, but make sure to do a little RC and LR so you don't lose what you've learned. Cognitively, the brain is much more comfortable disguarding material that was just recently learned. So, to get items into long term storage you have to quiz yourself and review what didn't stick for a couple weeks until its in there for good.

Lastly, (for reference I teach the LSAT full-time and got a 176 first try entirely self-studied), I would recommend not using some of your resources and focusing more on some. I reviewed all of them while either studying or when applying for prep companies:

Scrap the PS series except for the chapters in the LR bible about conditionals and formal logic. It's also ok to work through the problems and read explanations, but I think some of your other resources are better.

Focus on a combo of the Trainer and Blueprints LG. Blueprint is the far better baseline system, and their focus on upfront deductions and scenarios is the best. That plus the trainer is the best combo for the LSAT these days. PS is just a little clunky and outdated by now.

I would absolutely scrap the PS RC. It's pretty awful. Also, manhattan isn't that great either. The RC one is ok, but the others are pretty terrible.

Once you are done with Trainer/Blueprint just drill problem types from Cambridge LSAT, and take untimed practice exams until u can hit 5pts above your goal without time pressure. Then switch to timed sections with lots of review and practice until you can hit above your goal timed. At that point, take exclusively timed exams with experimentals (Cambridge is best for this as they insert old section experimentals into the newer exams, see 5-section exams on their site). Once you hit your goal timed, you want to focus on plugging up any weaknesses or getting faster at things you're slow at, and repeating the performance on newer exams consistently. Good luck!

You are probably the first one I've encountered that recommended AGAINST using Manhattan, especially for LR. But most people here (9 out of 10) actually consider the MLSAT LR as a "must-have" to fully understand the material.

Blueprint LG, yes I've heard great things about it, but maybe I can use the PS LG as a baseline to build foundation before tagging other LG materials. Some people say a combo of the Trainer, PS Bible, and 7sage videos are more than sufficient to pass the 170 benchmark. Plus, I don't want to scrap a prep book that I've been using for the past two weeks. I would at least like to finish the LG bible first.

I will definitely consider your advice on the Cambridge packets. Thanks!

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:46 pm

LR - manhattan + lsat trainer + drill cambridge packets according to question type
LG - blueprint + drill game types
RC - LSAT trainer and honestly just drill the shit out of the packets for RC.

use the bibles for conditional logic lessons.

drill drill drill drill. repeat. drill drill drill drill.

take untimed sections. move into timed sections 3 months out. do timed PTs 1.5/2 months out. 3 a week. and drill in between.

enjoy a 170+ score and t-14s

wish you luck

NL2424

Postby NL2424 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:54 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”