Do you think a 175 is attainable with my method?

Li'l Sebastian

Do you think a 175 is attainable with my method?

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:08 pm

My 100% cold diagnostic was a 155. I've only got a 3.5 gpa, so I'm really leaning heavily on the LSAT. I've six months of prep time though so. I've literally locked myself in my room except for going out for work. I'm looking to score between 170-180. I feel like I've already made huge leaps in performance especially since logic games was my worst section,
35% (-16) in LG,
78% (-13) of LR and
74%(-7) of RC questions.

I'm taking the June test. Right now I'm taking practice packets I got from my aunt's online blueprint course in addition to the lesson plan workbooks, about 50 or more questions of each question type. I'm reading the section in the Logical Reasoning bible and the lesson section in the Blueprint books that corresponds to the question type.
The types I have are
Describe
Diagram
Disagree
Explain
Flaw
MBT
SMBT
Main Point
Necessary
Sufficient
Parallel
Parallel Flaw
Resolve
Role
Strengthen
Weaken
Then I start doing the questions by 10 and reviewing those 10 until I'm missing less than 95% of the questions. So far I'm seeing near perfection by the time I hit the 25 question in each packet.

I'm over halfway done with "mastering" them by question type. Once Jan 20th roles around the semester will start up again and I'll be taking and reviewing two different practice tests a week until the end of finals when I'll have a whole month of may and first week of June to finish the last 30 or so most recent practice tests right before the real thing.

So by Jan 20th I want to make sure I'm ready to start drilling practice tests and just working on time and touching up the rough areas.

I have the reading comprehension bible, but the question packets I have are a lot less thorough and aren't sorted by type of question
They're sorted by
Antithesis
Synthesis
Thesis.
So I'm kinda nervous about this. How do I get to 95% on this? I wanna be familiar with every type of question that they'll throw at me. So when I get to drilling it becomes all about touching up and pattern recognition and time reduction.

For Logic Games I assume the drilling I'll already be doing just by completing all 73 modern LSATs should be enough to not have to worry about working on that section over this winter break.

So my study plan is over the break LR by type, then somehow I'll learn Reading comp by question type. Then once Jan 20th hits, two practice tests a week until May, then 8 practice tests a week, two a day for four days, until my time is perfect.

Is there anything I should change here?
What's the best way to learn reading comp? I heard it's just like LR except with a longer prompt.
Do you think a 175 is attainable with this method of attack?

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Re: Do you think a 175 is attainable with my method?

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:17 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:41 pm

Eh. I'm not gonna change my goal (180 because I believe every section is 100% learnable!). I just wanna make sure my method is sound and I'm not drastically over looking something.

Bigfish41

Postby Bigfish41 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:40 pm

Not one 75 but 173, possibly :roll:

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:55 pm

What should I be doing differently?

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:03 pm

Probably, note though that learnable doesn't necessarily mean easy. Logic games have ruined my Christmas break, and LG is supposedly the easiest section to improve on. Prepare for many, many hours of work.

nhberk

Postby nhberk » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:23 am

Just a heads up with those extra practice problem sets that blueprint has, they take those from various tests, so if you haven't already gone through them i'd stop to make sure you have a good amount of "fresh" untouched LSATs left to do as preptests to gauge the score correctly. I just finished the blueprint course and they only leave you with 13 extra practice tests to do that they haven't included as material in the homework, extra practice sets and the 6 PTs they give in the course. On the answer sheets to those extra practice sets it'll tell you the PTs they take it from, that way if you haven't already seen a question,game or passage from a particular PT that they took a question from, you know you can use that one as a fresh PT to base your score off of.

nhberk

Postby nhberk » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:26 am

Oh and of course, after every single timed section and PT. Do blind review. if you don't know what that is = 7sage.com/the-blind-review-how-to-correctly-prep-for-lsat-part-1/

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:58 am

Oh cool! I've heard of blind reviewing before, but now I'll be sure to implement that into my test taking plan!!

NL2424

Postby NL2424 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:34 pm

Last edited by NL2424 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:05 pm

If you want to get a 175 or higher you have to at the very least make sure your games are perfect going into exam day - this is the area that should be least variable. That means being able to do multiple tests in a row with (-0) in the LG section and only very rarely getting (-1) or (-2). I would first focus on not making any mistakes - because stupid diagramming errors is what will kill you with incorrect answers AND will eat your time. When you are confidently making NO diagramming errors/wrong answers due to lack of understanding or silly mistakes, then hone your time. If you practice the skills you got perfectly doing the games, you eventually will get faster. For logic games, I used the Powerscore Bible to learn Diagramming, the Trainer for an alternative perspective and general approach, and then the Cambridge packets to drill drill drill! I like the Cambridge packets because they have the older tests so the newer ones stay fresh.

For logic reasoning the biggest key to getting a high score is not to be lax when reviewing your answers. After learning the different types of questions and how to approach them from different guides (I used Powerscore and the Trainer and then took away what I found most useful), it is very important to understand FOR EVERY QUESTION either why the correct answer is correct or why all but the correct answer are wrong - probably best to know both. Once you start getting better you should mark any answer that you are not 100% sure about - not just the ones you think you may have gotten wrong! Review any question you are not 100% on (Manhattan Forums are good for this) so you get into the mind set that either you 100% understand the logic reasoning question or you will once you review it.

For reading comprehension I'll hold off on getting advice since I don't think I really ever perfected it.

I will also stress NOT CHEATING when you mess up (at least later on in your studying) - don't stop the clock when you feel like you're doing poorly - you won't be able to do that on the exam so don't do it while practicing. Even if a section part way through goes awfully, finish that section and the rest of the exam. Learning to deal with the panic and negative feelings after a bad section was a big hurdle for me but getting over it and learning to move on helped immensely.

Sorry this was a bit rambly and much longer than expected. Hope this helps :)

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:01 pm

Nah, it wasn't rambley at all. As for games, I feel like I've really got the hang of em' now. And my most recent practice test has shown tremendous improvement (154->167 whoop whoop!) in games down to -2 and in LR -5. I feel like what helped the most was just doing a metric ton of games by type and LR by type.

I re-did a packet of games twice after I learned how to do them, and that alone has decreased my time to 30 minutes on the typical section!
LR I haven't really gone back and reviewed at all, but just learning how to tackle each question differently made a big difference and I typically finish the section with 3-4 minutes to spare.

I haven't spent any time on reading comp though because subconsciencely I'm probably making it seem a lot scarier than it is. If I just spent anywhere as much time as I did on just grinding passages as I did on games and LR then I'm pretty sure that time wouldn't be an issue. One thing I'm considering is just not underlining and speed up my reading time just so that I can get the big picture better. I'm gonna try this out and hope it doesn't decrease my time, because that's my biggest downfall, I can get -0 or -2 every time if I Just had 40mins instead of 35.

I'm gonna review that test tonight after I get off work, then tomorrow after I get off I'm gonna take another practice test to see how consistently I'm scoring. I can't tell if all the games iVe been seeing lately are just easy, or if I've actually improved this much on games.
also I'm gonna try to tackle the Reading passages on this next. Test without underlining..

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:11 pm

ruizdaw wrote:Nah, it wasn't rambley at all. As for games, I feel like I've really got the hang of em' now. And my most recent practice test has shown tremendous improvement (154->167 whoop whoop!) in games down to -2 and in LR -5. I feel like what helped the most was just doing a metric ton of games by type and LR by type.

I re-did a packet of games twice after I learned how to do them, and that alone has decreased my time to 30 minutes on the typical section!
LR I haven't really gone back and reviewed at all, but just learning how to tackle each question differently made a big difference and I typically finish the section with 3-4 minutes to spare.

I haven't spent any time on reading comp though because subconsciencely I'm probably making it seem a lot scarier than it is. If I just spent anywhere as much time as I did on just grinding passages as I did on games and LR then I'm pretty sure that time wouldn't be an issue. One thing I'm considering is just not underlining and speed up my reading time just so that I can get the big picture better. I'm gonna try this out and hope it doesn't decrease my time, because that's my biggest downfall, I can get -0 or -2 every time if I Just had 40mins instead of 35.

I'm gonna review that test tonight after I get off work, then tomorrow after I get off I'm gonna take another practice test to see how consistently I'm scoring. I can't tell if all the games iVe been seeing lately are just easy, or if I've actually improved this much on games.
also I'm gonna try to tackle the Reading passages on this next. Test without underlining..

Whooo! sounds like you're making good progress - good luck!

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:15 pm

I just prep tested at 172!!! June 2012 prep test 66.
-4 RC down from -8 on my last prep test!!
-1 Lg down from -2
-3 on LR from -5

179orBust

Postby 179orBust » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Congrats on the great score! How have you been able to make such drastic improvements in such a short period of time? Any advice would definitely be helpful, thanks.

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:00 am

Well I took my original diagnostic in September. I never ran out of time in any section but I cut it close on every section and I missed a lot which is why I only earned a 154.
I reviewed a few games and I did a packet of new games, and reviewed it twice. Once on my own and once when competing with a friend. I also used packets of questions in LR by question type. But before I started just answering the questions I would read each section in the LR bible and a couple blue print lessons on that specific lesson which had to do with that question type.

Also I've been consistently listening to a few podcasts since my 30hr a week job as a delivery driver allows me to listen to podcasts for about 8hrs 3x a day which may change the way I think about the LSAT. Also I Haven't had any major deterrents to studying other than working 3 days a week(about 25hrs a week). I've actually been going through a few hardships that have further motivated me to continue working on the LSAT which is something I think of as a measurement of my success. I recently had to leave my dad's place to go live with my aunt because my dad got really pissed off one night and and got in a fight with my uncle and I got in the middle of the whole thing and now I'm living with my aunt and since school doesn't start again for me until Jan 20, I have nothing but determination to achieving my goals and success dictating my need to make my entire family proud.

Sorry if I made spelling or grammar errors I'm playing D&D and drinking mead in celebration of my high score lol.

iluvcash

Postby iluvcash » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:23 am

ruizdaw wrote:Well I took my original diagnostic in September. I never ran out of time in any section but I cut it close on every section and I missed a lot which is why I only earned a 154.
I reviewed a few games and I did a packet of new games, and reviewed it twice. Once on my own and once when competing with a friend. I also used packets of questions in LR by question type. But before I started just answering the questions I would read each section in the LR bible and a couple blue print lessons on that specific lesson which had to do with that question type.

Also I've been consistently listening to a few podcasts since my 30hr a week job as a delivery driver allows me to listen to podcasts for about 8hrs 3x a day which may change the way I think about the LSAT. Also I Haven't had any major deterrents to studying other than working 3 days a week(about 25hrs a week). I've actually been going through a few hardships that have further motivated me to continue working on the LSAT which is something I think of as a measurement of my success. I recently had to leave my dad's place to go live with my aunt because my dad got really pissed off one night and and got in a fight with my uncle and I got in the middle of the whole thing and now I'm living with my aunt and since school doesn't start again for me until Jan 20, I have nothing but determination to achieving my goals and success dictating my need to make my entire family proud.

Sorry if I made spelling or grammar errors I'm playing D&D and drinking mead in celebration of my high score lol.

What podcasts have you listened to if I may ask?

Li'l Sebastian

Postby Li'l Sebastian » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:44 pm

Lsat logic in everyday life

Velocity Lsat

The thinking lsat

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”