February 1997 pt

siddney

February 1997 pt

Postby siddney » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:52 am

Where can I get the Feb 1997 form 6LSS29 PrepTest?

Jeffort

Re: February 1997 pt

Postby Jeffort » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:41 pm

As you may have figured out from the other thread you started by looking at the PTs available for sale from cambridge LSAT, LSAC doesn't currently permit licensing/sale/distribution of the Feb '97 exam anymore by third parties/companies otherwise licensed/allowed to sell/distribute copies of any of the other official LSAT PTs/questions.

It's a semi-long story about past LSAC history and events going back 15 years that lead to this currently being the case that's not critical to know for your needs, but here's the short version anyway and how to get a copy of that PT.

The Feb 1997 LSAT is the test-form/PT that LSAC currently uses as the basis for its $18 online ItemWise LSAT prep study tool/LSAT familiarization tool. Because of that, LSAC currently doesn't allow anybody else (prep companies) to sell copies of that test since they want people to buy access to the ItemWise tool and get practice with fresh LSAT questions they will not have already seen/attempted from other prep books, a prep class, or from self-study.

https://os.lsac.org/RELEASE/Shop/PublicationDetail.aspx

LSAT ItemWise ® - Online LSAT familiarization tool
Online Price: $18.00
Get to know the LSAT

LSAC's popular, online LSAT familiarization tool, LSAT ItemWise:

includes all three types of LSAT questions—logical reasoning, analytical reasoning, and reading comprehension;
keeps track of your answers; and
shows you explanations as to why answers are correct or incorrect.

Although it is best to use our paper-and-pencil Official LSAT PrepTest ® products to fully prepare for the LSAT, you can enhance your preparation by understanding all three question types and why your answers are right or wrong.

ItemWise includes an introduction to the reading comprehension question type—comparative reading—with sample questions and explanations.

It includes one previously administrated LSAT. (Feb 1997!)

LSAC account holders get unlimited online access to ItemWise for the length of the account.

Long before LSAC created the online ItemWize tool that contains the Feb '97 test plus complete explanations for every question written by the test writers themselves, in year 2000 they published a prep book called The Official LSAT PrepTest with Explanations Volume 1. (volume 2 turned out to be the LSAT SuperPrep book first published in 2004)

The Official LSAT PrepTest with Explanations Volume 1

Publishing that book was how LSAC first released the previously undisclosed until then February 1997 LSAT test-form. That book contains the Feb '97 test (test form 6LSS29, printed on pg. 40 with the score conversion chart) along with complete explanations for every question written by the test writers. The book has been out of print for over a decade and ItemWise is basically that book converted into digital form with additional features. The explanations contained in itemwise are the same exact explanations contained in the book when it was published in 2000.

After LSAC published that book (and thus disclosed the until then undisclosed Feb '97 test), they allowed licensees (test prep companies allowed to reproduce and sell LSAT PTs/questions) to license that test and questions for many years UNTIL they built and launched ItemWise. After LSAC launched ItemWise they changed the licensing agreements with prep companies and removed the Feb 97 test from the ones they're allowed to sell. Due to that, there are still pdf copies of that PT floating around from during the time when companies were allowed to sell/distribute it to students as a full PT, but you can no longer legally purchase a digital/pdf copy of the Feb '97 test from anybody even though it's still floating around in pirated stuff/file sharing internet land. Last time I had access to and looked at ItemWise it did NOT allow you to download a pdf of the test in full test format printable form, it only let you see and attempt questions one at a time online through the tool that tracks your performance. Maybe they've changed that since I last looked but I don't think so.

If you want to get a full copy of that PT legally, find a copy of the old out of print book. Since the explanations for the questions were written by the test writers themselves, they are really good and make getting the book worthwhile if you can find a copy for a reasonable price. It looks like some used copies are currently available for $6 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Official-LSAT-Pre ... 0942639685
Last edited by Jeffort on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jjtomp

Postby jjtomp » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Jeffort wrote:As you may have figured out from the other thread you started by looking at the PTs available for sale from cambridge LSAT, LSAC doesn't currently permit licensing/sale/distribution of the Feb '97 exam anymore by third parties/companies otherwise licensed/allowed to sell/distribute copies of any of the other official LSAT PTs/questions.

It's a semi-long story about past LSAC history and events going back 15 years that lead to this currently being the case that's not critical to know for your needs, but here's the short version anyway and how to get a copy of that PT.

The Feb 1997 LSAT is the test-form/PT that LSAC currently uses as the basis for its $18 online ItemWise LSAT prep study tool/LSAT familiarization tool. Because of that, LSAC currently doesn't allow anybody else (prep companies) to sell copies of that test since they want people to buy access to the ItemWise tool and get practice with fresh LSAT questions they will not have already seen/attempted from other prep books, a prep class, or from self-study.

Get to know the LSAT

includes all three types of LSAT questions—logical reasoning, analytical reasoning, and reading comprehension;

Although it is best to use our paper-and-pencil Official LSAT PrepTest ® products to fully prepare for the LSAT, you can enhance your preparation by understanding all three question types and why your answers are right or wrong.

ItemWise includes an introduction to the reading comprehension question type—comparative reading—with sample questions and explanations.

LSAC account holders get unlimited online access to ItemWise for the length of the account.

Long before LSAC created the online ItemWize tool that contains the Feb '97 test plus complete explanations for every question written by the test writers themselves, in year 2000 they published a prep book called The Official LSAT PrepTest with Explanations Volume 1. (volume 2 turned out to be the LSAT SuperPrep book first published in 2004)

Publishing that book was how LSAC first released the previously undisclosed until then February 1997 LSAT test-form. That book contains the Feb '97 test (test form 6LSS29, printed on pg. 40 with the score conversion chart) along with complete explanations for every question written by the test writers. The book has been out of print for over a decade and ItemWise is basically that book converted into digital form with additional features. The explanations contained in itemwise are the same exact explanations contained in the book when it was published in 2000.

After LSAC published that book (and thus disclosed the until then undisclosed Feb '97 test), they allowed licensees (test prep companies allowed to reproduce and sell LSAT PTs/questions) to license that test and questions for many years UNTIL they built and launched ItemWise. When LSAC launched ItemWise they changed the licensing agreements with prep companies and removed the Feb 97 test from ones they're allowed to reproduce/distribute/sell. Due to that, there are still digital pdf copies of that PT floating around from during the time when companies were allowed to distribute it to students for PT use, but you can no longer legally acquire/purchase a digital/pdf copy of the Feb '97 test from anybody even though it's still floating around in pirated stuff/file sharing internet land. Last time I had access to and looked at ItemWise it did NOT allow you to download a pdf of the test in full test format printable form, it only let you see and attempt questions one at a time online through the tool that tracks your performance. Maybe they've changed that since I last looked but I don't think so.

If you want to get a full copy of that PT legally, find and buy an old copy of this out of print book, looks like some used copies are still available for sale:

I really hope you work(ed) for LSAC.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:43 pm

jjtomp wrote:
I really hope you work(ed) for LSAC.

lol, heck no. I'd never go to the dark side Image and use my skills to help them ruin peoples LS dreams by crushing them on test day with a multiple choice test designed to sucker you into picking wrong answers when under the test-day conditions time pressure. I'm a veteran LSAT teacher/tutor with many years experience helping people dominate the LSAT on test day, and over the years I've gathered a lot of knowledge and expertise about the LSAT and prepping effectively so sometimes bits of old random LSAT trivia buried in my brain turn out to be relevant to students questions.

siddney

Postby siddney » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:50 am

Jeffort wrote:As you may have figured out from the other thread you started by looking at the PTs available for sale from cambridge LSAT, LSAC doesn't currently permit licensing/sale/distribution of the Feb '97 exam anymore by third parties/companies otherwise licensed/allowed to sell/distribute copies of any of the other official LSAT PTs/questions.

Get to know the LSAT

The Official LSAT PrepTest with Explanations Volume 1

After LSAC published that book (and thus disclosed the until then undisclosed Feb '97 test), they allowed licensees (test prep companies allowed to reproduce and sell LSAT PTs/questions) to license that test and questions for many years UNTIL they built and launched ItemWise. After LSAC launched ItemWise they changed the licensing agreements with prep companies and removed the Feb 97 test from the ones they're allowed to sell. Due to that, there are still pdf copies of that PT floating around from during the time when companies were allowed to sell/distribute it to students as a full PT, but you can no longer legally purchase a digital/pdf copy of the Feb '97 test from anybody even though it's still floating around in pirated stuff/file sharing internet land. Last time I had access to and looked at ItemWise it did NOT allow you to download a pdf of the test in full test format printable form, it only let you see and attempt questions one at a time online through the tool that tracks your performance. Maybe they've changed that since I last looked but I don't think so.

If you want to get a full copy of that PT legally, find a copy of the old out of print book. Since the explanations for the questions were written by the test writers themselves, they are really good and make getting the book worthwhile if you can find a copy for a reasonable price. It looks like some used copies are currently available for $6 on Amazon:

Wow you are so smart. Really. Thank you.

siddney

Postby siddney » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:05 am

jjtomp, is this one worth purchasing?

nhberk

Postby nhberk » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:56 pm

Just a heads up for anyone looking to purchase itemwise... i just got off the phone with LSAC and they told me that it doesn't include explanations for all of the LSAT prep tests, just the one included (feb 1997 pt)... i was about to buy it because i already have every preptest but don't have explanations...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”