How long did it take you to master LG?

ltowns1

Re: How long did it take you to master LG?

Postby ltowns1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:54 am

RZ5646 wrote:This? http://videos.7sage.com/lsat/resources/ ... -games.pdf

I'm a bit skeptical about this part: "Watch the explanation video ... Reproduce all inferences from memory." Aren't they basically just telling you to memorize the video? I guess they're hoping the student will need to internalize the logic to be able to remember everything, but IMO you should never underestimate the power of rote memorization.

I'm sorta doing using that method though. I have 4 copies of each game and I'm doing one, analyzing my mistakes and looking for anything I missed, then waiting awhile and doing the game again, then again, etc. I'm trying to space out attempts because I'm afraid of just memorizing the rules/inferences instead of developing my skill in getting them from the stimulus.

I'll definitely add in the 7sage videos. I've found with the games in the LGB that even after getting all the questions right and trying to dissect each game, I still miss important inferences, only discovering them once I've read the explanation. Hopefully 7sage can provide the same in-depth understanding for the games that aren't in the LGB.

Yes if you want to think of it that way, you could say you're memorizing the videos, but more importantly it's about rembering those inferences. So when you see them again, you'll automaticaly know what to do without hesitation because you've done it so many times before (by constantly looking at the seven sage videos)

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:13 am

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:23 am, edited 8 times in total.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:22 pm

gamerish wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:This? http://videos.7sage.com/lsat/resources/ ... -games.pdf

I'm a bit skeptical about this part: "Watch the explanation video ... Reproduce all inferences from memory." Aren't they basically just telling you to memorize the video? I guess they're hoping the student will need to internalize the logic to be able to remember everything, but IMO you should never underestimate the power of rote memorization.

I'm sorta doing using that method though. I have 4 copies of each game and I'm doing one, analyzing my mistakes and looking for anything I missed, then waiting awhile and doing the game again, then again, etc. I'm trying to space out attempts because I'm afraid of just memorizing the rules/inferences instead of developing my skill in getting them from the stimulus.

I'll definitely add in the 7sage videos. I've found with the games in the LGB that even after getting all the questions right and trying to dissect each game, I still miss important inferences, only discovering them once I've read the explanation. Hopefully 7sage can provide the same in-depth understanding for the games that aren't in the LGB.

The important thing isn't memorizing the game/video as a whole. It's memorizing the inferences. From what I understand, since the questions are all so similar, if you can memorize the inferences drawn from a question of that type it should help you pull the corresponding inferences from the new question that much quicker.

I've only really been exposed to one 7sage video but I am about 1/2 way through the LSAT Trainer now and the author of that uses a similar method. If I missed one of his questions, I analyzed my mistake and then repeated the question the next day. Since he groups questions by type in the practice sections, memorizing the inferences drawn from that first question helps me remember the kinds of inferences I should be pulling out of other questions of that type.

it is so when you see a game that you have never seen before, read the rules and go "hey this is just like that movie game," and not be stuck staring trying to figure out the best way to diagram it bc you know a game extremely similar. Obviously not meant to completely reproduce the recalled game but it gives you an approach to use to attack and adjust for the particular game you're working on

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:29 pm

How realistic do you think 7sage's time recommendations are? Of course I'm still rather slow, but their recommendations seem extremely short, for example, only 5 minutes for 7 questions on an easier game.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:34 pm

RZ5646 wrote:How realistic do you think 7sage's time recommendations are? Of course I'm still rather slow, but their recommendations seem extremely short, for example, only 5 minutes for 7 questions on an easier game.

Depends on the game. If it's a simple ordering or grouping with say all mini-game boards solved upfront, you will fly by the questions.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:57 pm

I think I'm making good progress. The only question I've missed so far in drilling is one where I misread the question. My main problem seems to be time.

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:13 am

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:23 am, edited 8 times in total.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:36 am

gamerish wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:How realistic do you think 7sage's time recommendations are? Of course I'm still rather slow, but their recommendations seem extremely short, for example, only 5 minutes for 7 questions on an easier game.

They're probably accurate for someone who's well into their prep. I'm at the beginning of my studying so it still takes me way longer than his recommendations to solve games.

I just did a game in 3:30 and it felt amazing.

I think you're right. If a game takes me a long time it's usually because I had to figure something out that I hadn't seen before.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”