How long did it take you to master LG?

RZ5646

How long did it take you to master LG?

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:54 pm

I'm feeling pretty hopeless right now. I miss twice as many questions on LG as I do on the rest of the sections combined.

Rook

Re: How long did it take you to master LG?

Postby Rook » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:08 pm

about a month straight of doing nothing but games all day, approximately 7-10 hours a day. doing that got me to hitting (17/18) / 23 on the games section consistently. and i still have a long way to go i think. easiest section to master, with dedication you'll get there.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:19 pm

Rook wrote:easiest section to master, with dedication you'll get there.

That's what everyone says, but there's that nagging feeling that maybe I'm in that minority of people who are just too stupid to improve lol

So you just constantly drilled and redrilled? Any tips or anything? I'm doing the LG bible and drilling games from PTs 1-20 by type

Rook

Postby Rook » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:22 pm

i doubt it man, most people i talk to improve games within a few months of hardcore practice. my tutor famously once said "you can't teach the dumbest kid on the block to do LR or RC, but you can teach em games"

Rook

Postby Rook » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:26 pm

and yes, just drill and re-drill. print out 3 copies of every game and do one..check where you went wrong, and then youtube the explanations for it. then do the next copy. make sure to make note of your time every time you do the game. then leave it for a few days and come back and do it again (third time). i promise that you'll become amazing at games if you make every single game that you work on your bitch. if you follow these steps, i can put any game in front of you that you once had trouble with, and you should be able to do it in under than 6 minutes.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:28 pm

Rook wrote:about a month straight of doing nothing but games all day, approximately 7-10 hours a day. doing that got me to hitting (17/18) / 23 on the games section consistently. and i still have a long way to go i think. easiest section to master, with dedication you'll get there.
'

This is insane.

Rook

Postby Rook » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:33 pm

SweetTort wrote:
Rook wrote:about a month straight of doing nothing but games all day, approximately 7-10 hours a day. doing that got me to hitting (17/18) / 23 on the games section consistently. and i still have a long way to go i think. easiest section to master, with dedication you'll get there.
'

This is insane.

how bad do you want it?

i need a 167-168 to get into my target schools here in canada. ive been awfully close consistently (except for today, when i bombed, don't wanna talk about it) , hitting 165-168 on my last 5 tests. but my score in games is still less than all the other sections, and that's even after doing nothing but games for a month...maybe i'm part of the "stupid minority" that OP made reference to earlier ,hahaha.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:36 pm

LG is also my achilles heel. Last PT was 166... if I had gone -0 on LG, that would have been 178 :(

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:45 pm

Rook wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
'

This is insane.

how bad do you want it?

i need a 167-168 to get into my target schools here in canada. ive been awfully close consistently (except for today, when i bombed, don't wanna talk about it) , hitting 165-168 on my last 5 tests. but my score in games is still less than all the other sections, and that's even after doing nothing but games for a month...maybe i'm part of the "stupid minority" that OP made reference to earlier ,hahaha.

Not saying that it isn't worth it, I just can't imagine doing 7-8 hours of LG.

Rook

Postby Rook » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:57 pm

RZ5646 wrote:LG is also my achilles heel. Last PT was 166... if I had gone -0 on LG, that would have been 178 :(

yep, usually the case with me too.. maybe not a 178, but definitely in the 170's

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:36 am

Lol nice joke. If you spent 210-300 hours on games and are still going -5/-6, then there's something seriously wrong with your technique.

You'll get it, OP. Just keep drilling and learn from your mistakes. I promise you a future game will be almost the exact same setup as every game you master. You get good by becoming familiar with all the setups and being able to roll with the punches if something is atypical. 7Sage explanations all the way.

Rook

Postby Rook » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:05 am

Dirigo wrote:

Lol nice joke. If you spent 210-300 hours on games and are still going -5/-6, then there's something seriously wrong with your technique.

You'll get it, OP. Just keep drilling and learn from your mistakes. I promise you a future game will be almost the exact same setup as every game you master. You get good by becoming familiar with all the setups and being able to roll with the punches if something is atypical. 7Sage explanations all the way.

nah dude, games have always been my kryptonite. everything else sort of came relatively naturally, i just had to put twice as much effort as other people to learn games

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:54 am

I would do untimed games and just make sure you're getting the technique down and the answers right. Eventually it just comes naturally. I'd say it took me about a month to do - you will get there, just keep drilling. I read the LG Bible and that helped me.

stig2014

Postby stig2014 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:23 am

http://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect-s ... gic-games/

About a month of going through this method with the Cambridge packets got me to an average of -0 per section. I honestly believe anyone can master logic games with this method, it's just a matter of putting the time in.

The Avatar

Postby The Avatar » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:08 am

I used to hate LG and resigned myself to at least try to get 15/23 on it, while making up for it with my other sections.

A few months of drilling games with Cambridge and it became my best section, consistently -0.

Odd thing is that im once again counting on getting around 15-16/23 on the December test I just wrote; it was simply brutal to say the least.

Drill with Cambridge by game type. Then pay attention to PT 62, 67, 70-74 to get an idea of how modern game sections are designed (either a really hard game or two/ time-consuming games).

hillz

Postby hillz » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:25 pm

LG was my worst section when I began. It took me about 5 months of drilling consistently. Reading LG Bible & watching 7Sage's methods really helped me figure out how to be more efficient and not brute force answers. I never did more than like 4-8 games per day, and sometimes less than that. I took off a day once a week, too.

hillz

Postby hillz » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:27 pm

And I agree with the poster above who said to start out doing untimed games. It's a good way to get used to LG without too much pressure. I changed up the types of games I did, but I would always come back and do games I had done previously to watch my progress. You'll see your time gradually get shorter and shorter.

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:33 pm

Games are definitely learnable. It took me about a month of moderate drilling to get to -0 on sections. On my last PT I finished with about 10 minutes left in the section. To drill, I did each game twice. First I just did a game, taking as much time as I needed. Then I watched the BP or 7sage video for it, paying close attention to any deductions I missed and why I missed them. Then I re-did the game a second time to practice making those deductions. Like what was mentioned above, the free 7sage LG videos are a huge help.

giantswan

Postby giantswan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:26 pm

JackelJ wrote:Games are definitely learnable. It took me about a month of moderate drilling to get to -0 on sections. On my last PT I finished with about 10 minutes left in the section. To drill, I did each game twice. First I just did a game, taking as much time as I needed. Then I watched the BP or 7sage video for it, paying close attention to any deductions I missed and why I missed them. Then I re-did the game a second time to practice making those deductions. Like what was mentioned above, the free 7sage LG videos are a huge help.

I think the above strategy is good but if you're really having trouble I recommend taking it one step further and doing each game at least three times. After doing the game for the second time wait a few days to a week (while practicing other games), then attempt the game again to see if you can make all the inferences yourself.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks guys... I needed the reassurance. I'm following a method similar to many of yours, working through the LG Bible and drilling by type as I go. I'm also redoing games and keeping track of each attempt on a spreadsheet. I'm timing myself but with the timer counting up instead of down, just to see how long I take. Hopefully this will get me to -0 within a reasonable amount of time.

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:05 pm

For me, it was all about learning how to diagram correctly. Once I figured out a good system, I was consistently scoring -0 on the games. This youtube video is a little slow, but gives a fairly good overview of one way to diagram games successfully.

But most importantly, don't give up!

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:59 pm

RZ5646 wrote: Hopefully this will get me to -0 within a reasonable amount of time.

You'll start hitting those -1s/-0s in no time. LG should be the easiest section for everyone in my opinion.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:22 pm

RZ5646 wrote:I'm feeling pretty hopeless right now. I miss twice as many questions on LG as I do on the rest of the sections combined.

I agree with almost everything that has been said, the key to getting better is doing a lot of them. I see a major improvement in my score and I only really started to study this section hard a little more than a month ago. I will share something that I'm about to start doing so maybe it can help you. If you do have a large amount of games ordered by type and difficulty, try just doing a few full games of each type, then once you've done that stop, go to the next game that you haven't done, and see if you can recognize the major inferences off of that specific game. Don't do any questions, or setup up anything, just see if you can recognize the inferences. If you can't , go back to the 7 sage videos for the explanation. Just keep doing this repeatedly, then once you see a game, which has a rule that always seems to yield a certain big inference and you know it, go ahead and do the full game. I think it's worth a try, and it may get you to the point where you are quickly learning the games and inferences much faster. Remember don't work out the games until you can at least recognize a major inference, or you feel comfortable with that particular game. I think the BIGGEST fear about logic games is the deceptive fear of the unknown. Meaning that since we don't know necessarily what type of a game that lsat may throw at you next, we have a tendency to freak out..but what really hit home the other day is something that a lot of the guys on this forum say all the time...which is familiarity. I was looking in my cambridge packet at some of the hardest games that they had in the packet, and I then looked at the seven sage videos based on those games, and I noticed that they yielded the SAME inferences that were in the games that I was doing with no problem, the games that were considered some of the easiest. Sure it may have had language that was a little more difficult or a few extra steps, but they yielded the same infereces, just as the easy ones did. When I noticed that it just kinda clicked and now I'm not intimidated by any game, I know there's going to be something that helps me solve the game, I just have to find it.

modz

Postby modz » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:13 am

It depends on the person.

I do think finding great prep material helps. Mike the trainer, 7sage are great.

See 7sage's foolproof method - it requires time, but eventually you hit your groove.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:18 am

This? http://videos.7sage.com/lsat/resources/ ... -games.pdf

I'm a bit skeptical about this part: "Watch the explanation video ... Reproduce all inferences from memory." Aren't they basically just telling you to memorize the video? I guess they're hoping the student will need to internalize the logic to be able to remember everything, but IMO you should never underestimate the power of rote memorization.

I'm sorta doing using that method though. I have 4 copies of each game and I'm doing one, analyzing my mistakes and looking for anything I missed, then waiting awhile and doing the game again, then again, etc. I'm trying to space out attempts because I'm afraid of just memorizing the rules/inferences instead of developing my skill in getting them from the stimulus.

I'll definitely add in the 7sage videos. I've found with the games in the LGB that even after getting all the questions right and trying to dissect each game, I still miss important inferences, only discovering them once I've read the explanation. Hopefully 7sage can provide the same in-depth understanding for the games that aren't in the LGB.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”