Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Harvette
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Postby Harvette » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:07 pm

I have noticed people seem to do better on the December test. Not sure if it is because most people retake later during the cycle. But it looks like the lsac likes trying new lsat tricks on the june test.
Is this correct?

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:13 pm

Harvette wrote:I have noticed people seem to do better on the December test. Not sure if it is because most people retake later during the cycle. But it looks like the lsac likes trying new lsat tricks on the june test.
Is this correct?


No.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 pm

June historically has a tougher "curve" than the other administrations (especially December), but the final distribution of scaled scores is the same.

User avatar
Grond
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:33 am

Re: Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Postby Grond » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:31 pm

Sometimes I miss Julie Fern.

User avatar
LeeAllen
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Re: Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Postby LeeAllen » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:35 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:June historically has a tougher "curve" than the other administrations (especially December), but the final distribution of scaled scores is the same.

Mmmmmm, I'm not even sure if this is correct. At least over the past 4-5 years, there has been a 2-3 question gap with the tougher curve coming in December. (This is, of course, if we're defining the 'tougher' curve as the one where you can drop more questions and still walk away with a 170.)

June 2010: -12
December 2010: -14

June 2011: -11
December 2011: -14

June 2012: -10
December 2012: -12

June 2013: -11
December 2013: -14

Granite
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Postby Granite » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:19 pm

LeeAllen wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:June historically has a tougher "curve" than the other administrations (especially December), but the final distribution of scaled scores is the same.

Mmmmmm, I'm not even sure if this is correct. At least over the past 4-5 years, there has been a 2-3 question gap with the tougher curve coming in December. (This is, of course, if we're defining the 'tougher' curve as the one where you can drop more questions and still walk away with a 170.)

June 2010: -12
December 2010: -14

June 2011: -11
December 2011: -14

June 2012: -10
December 2012: -12

June 2013: -11
December 2013: -14


I think they mean that June is tougher in that you have to get more questions correct in order to get a higher score.

User avatar
LeeAllen
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Re: Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Postby LeeAllen » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:36 pm

Granite wrote:
LeeAllen wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:June historically has a tougher "curve" than the other administrations (especially December), but the final distribution of scaled scores is the same.

Mmmmmm, I'm not even sure if this is correct. At least over the past 4-5 years, there has been a 2-3 question gap with the tougher curve coming in December. (This is, of course, if we're defining the 'tougher' curve as the one where you can drop more questions and still walk away with a 170.)

June 2010: -12
December 2010: -14

June 2011: -11
December 2011: -14

June 2012: -10
December 2012: -12

June 2013: -11
December 2013: -14


I think they mean that June is tougher in that you have to get more questions correct in order to get a higher score.

Ah, my apologies.

I've usually understood that the more difficult (i.e. tougher) tests are the ones which have more generous curves. The more generous curves are given on the grounds that the test was more difficult, right? Or have I just been totally understanding this backwards? lol

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:42 pm

Every LSAT is supposed to be the same difficulty.

User avatar
LeeAllen
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Re: Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Postby LeeAllen » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:51 pm

RZ5646 wrote:Every LSAT is supposed to be the same difficulty.

Well, yes.

But isn't the reason for equating the tests because some administrations may be more difficult than the norm? Perhaps not intentionally, but, I can't really imagine why they would have different curves if not to compensate for variations in the level of difficulty.

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:05 pm

If the curve compensates, then who cares? They're effectively all the same... hence "equating."

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11942
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Postby Rigo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:41 pm

June has the least forgiving curve because it is "easier."
December has the most forgiving curve because it is "harder."
With equating, it really doesn't matter and you should just take when you're ready.

User avatar
LeeAllen
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Re: Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Postby LeeAllen » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:44 pm

RZ5646 wrote:If the curve compensates, then who cares? They're effectively all the same... hence "equating."

Oh I don't know that anyone cares, OP was just asking if the June test is inherently more difficult than other administrations. I was just saying that I don't think that's the case because the curve is more generous for December than it is for June.

With that said, yes, equating effectively cancels the differences.

Harvette
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Re: Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Postby Harvette » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:12 pm

Thanks all! I was referring to the number of questions one can miss and still get a 170. I thought one had more room in dec vs June. But did not realize this happens on tougher tests. I always thought the test was harder in June.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Postby Hand » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:14 pm

Harvette wrote:Thanks all! I was referring to the number of questions one can miss and still get a 170. I thought one had more room in dec vs June. But did not realize this happens on tougher tests. I always thought the test was harder in June.


The June test is intentionally made harder because only the lazies who can't get out of bed on time for a 9:00 am test take it. HTH!

Harvette
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Re: Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Postby Harvette » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:16 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
Harvette wrote:Thanks all! I was referring to the number of questions one can miss and still get a 170. I thought one had more room in dec vs June. But did not realize this happens on tougher tests. I always thought the test was harder in June.


The June test is intentionally made harder because only the lazies who can't get out of bed on time for a 9:00 am test take it. HTH!



Lol I actually heard it was harder because most people who take it in June are gunners.
Took PT69, -4 =177 then PT 65/dec, -3 = 180 :shock:
As someone who struggles mostly with speed, this makes me pause.

abasba32
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:33 pm

Re: Is the June LSAT known to be more difficult than others?

Postby abasba32 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:27 pm

i think so




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KatCoco and 9 guests