February LSAT's impact on this cycle's application

Donashimen

February LSAT's impact on this cycle's application

Postby Donashimen » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:03 pm

Hello everyone,
I have already taken the September 2014 LSAT, however, I am thinking about retaking it again in February because I know I can increase my score. I am also planning on sending my applications this week. I am very worried that my application won't get reviewed by each school until the February scores are released. Which most definitely would put me at a disadvantage since most of the seats would have been filled. Does anyone know if that actually does occur? Or do they review and consider your application prior to receiving the February LSAT?

My second question is regarding a study plan for the LSAT. I have taken every prep-test, accept the December 2014 LSAT, several times and I am out of study material. Any suggestions on other ways to getting study material?

Thank you so much!

Lying Lawyer

Re: February LSAT's impact on this cycle's application

Postby Lying Lawyer » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:24 pm

If you're planning on applying to the top schools you might be at a disadvantage. I live in South Florida and plan to apply to Miami. I am taking in February because I just wasn't ready for December. In speaking with them they told me it won't effect me for admissions but it can effect me for scholarship consideration. If I were to apply to FIU, it would have no effect what so ever. Verify with the school you are planing on applying to.

Porkypots

Postby Porkypots » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:11 pm

I have the same question. If i apply by the end of the month with my December score, but decide to retake will schools hold my application until the score release date of March?

bob311

Postby bob311 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:28 pm

I am also curious about the impact of a Feb score on apps.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:11 pm

Guys, do a simple forum search. You're probably not getting responses because this is the LSAT Prep forum and your question is more suited for the Admissions forum.
This post pertains more to December takers, but the policies may also apply to February:
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=138285

Also:
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=240480
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=240443
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=240226
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=240428

All you guys probably have different situations.
I would not recommend taking the February administration as your first LSAT if you want to apply this cycle.
February can be good if you're retaking solely for scholarship negotiation.
If you have an iffy chance at admission, it would still be good to retake in February. Schools generally have different policies on whether they'll hold your app or not, but most schools will either outright accept you or hold your app for further review. It all depends.

Donashimen

Postby Donashimen » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:37 pm

I did email all the schools that I am applying. Some of them gave a direct answer but most of them did not. From what I understand is that most of the schools will just hold your application even if you apply now. Essentially it will not go to the review board. Schools such as Duke stated that they do not recommend a Feb LSAT because most of the "Positive Acceptance" is done by march. Other schools stated that the hold should not be a problem. I honestly am still stuck and not sure what to do . I have a Sept score already, but really want to get a better score for schools like Duke but they way they made it sound is that either way I might be screwed. By not have a really high score from the Sept LSAT or by waiting until March for my app to get reviewed. :(

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:38 pm

Donashimen wrote:I did email all the schools that I am applying. Some of them gave a direct answer but most of them did not. From what I understand is that most of the schools will just hold your application even if you apply now. Essentially it will not go to the review board. Schools such as Duke stated that they do not recommend a Feb LSAT because most of the "Positive Acceptance" is done by march. Other schools stated that the hold should not be a problem. I honestly am still stuck and not sure what to do . I have a Sept score already, but really want to get a better score for schools like Duke but they way they made it sound is that either way I might be screwed. By not have a really high score from the Sept LSAT or by waiting until March for my app to get reviewed. :(

Sit out this cycle.

Donashimen

Postby Donashimen » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:21 pm

I don't want to wait another whole year. I have the numbers for other schools anyways. I've decided to take the December 2014 LSAT when its released. Depending on my score on that, I'll decide to go for it or not I guess. Let me know what everyone decides!

Donashimen

Postby Donashimen » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:21 pm

Donashimen wrote:I did email all the schools that I am applying. Some of them gave a direct answer but most of them did not. From what I understand is that most of the schools will just hold your application even if you apply now. Essentially it will not go to the review board. Schools such as Duke stated that they do not recommend a Feb LSAT because most of the "Positive Acceptance" is done by march. Other schools stated that the hold should not be a problem. I honestly am still stuck and not sure what to do . I have a Sept score already, but really want to get a better score for schools like Duke but they way they made it sound is that either way I might be screwed. By not have a really high score from the Sept LSAT or by waiting until March for my app to get reviewed. :(

Thank you so much for all this info. It really helped!

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:30 am

http://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/admissions/search/

Plug in your stats with a march application submission.

Donashimen

Postby Donashimen » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:56 pm

Seoulless wrote:http://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/admissions/search/

Plug in your stats with a march application submission.

I did but I can't seem to figure it out... go figure. I will keep on trying. Thank you so much for the info tho! :)

Donashimen

Postby Donashimen » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:25 pm

Okay by some miracle I got it to work. But I am a little bit confused by how it works. So the percentage that they're showing, how do you know what it exactly means. I means if it is from march to march then that would include all the applicants from that whole cycle not just the march ones right? I am sure that i am wrong somehow and I will feel stupid when I realize it. But right now I am a little bit confused. I don't get how it would it relates to the march predicament I guess.

peger

Postby peger » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Donashimen wrote:Okay by some miracle I got it to work. But I am a little bit confused by how it works. So the percentage that they're showing, how do you know what it exactly means. I means if it is from march to march then that would include all the applicants from that whole cycle not just the march ones right? I am sure that i am wrong somehow and I will feel stupid when I realize it. But right now I am a little bit confused. I don't get how it would it relates to the march predicament I guess.

No, it means just applicants who submitted in March during whatever cycles you selected at the top. None of the stats you get from that search will be from applications submitted in any other month.

Donashimen

Postby Donashimen » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:08 pm

peger wrote:
Donashimen wrote:Okay by some miracle I got it to work. But I am a little bit confused by how it works. So the percentage that they're showing, how do you know what it exactly means. I means if it is from march to march then that would include all the applicants from that whole cycle not just the march ones right? I am sure that i am wrong somehow and I will feel stupid when I realize it. But right now I am a little bit confused. I don't get how it would it relates to the march predicament I guess.

No, it means just applicants who submitted in March during whatever cycles you selected at the top. None of the stats you get from that search will be from applications submitted in any other month.

Oh i see. Thank you! Do you happen to know what the colors mean?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:27 pm

Donashimen wrote:Do you happen to know what the colors mean?

Huh? Use your brain.
Green means very likely acceptance.
Red means very unlikely acceptance.
Everything else means somewhere in the middle.
The exact likelihood of acceptance percentages are listed if colors aren't your thang.

Donashimen

Postby Donashimen » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:53 pm

Dirigo wrote:

Huh? Use your brain.
The exact likelihood of acceptance percentages are listed if colors aren't your thang.

lol thanks for the help. The reason I was confused was because while I was messing around with it at one point only two schools where highlighted in color and the rest weren't. The stats were 180 LSAT and 4.0 GPA. But your clarification helped immensely. Thank you.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:58 pm

Donashimen wrote:
Dirigo wrote:

Huh? Use your brain.

lol thanks for the help. The reason I was confused was because while I was messing around with it at one point only two schools where highlighted in color and the rest weren't. The stats were 180 LSAT and 4.0 GPA. But your clarification helped immensely. Thank you.

Be sure to expand the ranges a little more to get a larger sample size.
So 175-180 (since those scores are really treated very similarly for admissions purposes) and a 3.8-4.0 GPA range.

I generally do 170-172 for if I wanted to test a a 171 for instance. The important one is expanding the GPA a bit more since there are so many different GPA possibilities out there. I usually capture the GPA I want to test by going .1 in each direction. So 3.6-3.8 to test a 3.7.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”