How long it takes you to improve LR

GospelLeague

How long it takes you to improve LR

Postby GospelLeague » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:38 pm

Just started LSAT Prep.

I have read LR bible, LR Manhattan and LR Kaplan last month. This week I'm doing full-section practice with PT1-4. After 8 full-section practice on LR, I find that although I can finish in around 30min each time, I always get 5-7 of them wrong. It seems to me that either the LR questions in the 1990s vary greatly from what they are today, or I haven't developed a feeling for LR yet.

Wanna ask how long it takes you to ace the LR. Whether it is possible to improve after more full-section practice. I'm always afraid I would exhaust all the materials, as there are only limited number of PTs.

stray

Re: How long it takes you to improve LR

Postby stray » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:00 pm

GospelLeague wrote:Just started LSAT Prep.

I have read LR bible, LR Manhattan and LR Kaplan last month. This week I'm doing full-section practice with PT1-4. After 8 full-section practice on LR, I find that although I can finish in around 30min each time, I always get 5-7 of them wrong. It seems to me that either the LR questions in the 1990s vary greatly from what they are today, or I haven't developed a feeling for LR yet.

Wanna ask how long it takes you to ace the LR. Whether it is possible to improve after more full-section practice. I'm always afraid I would exhaust all the materials, as there are only limited number of PTs.

Theres nearly 160 sections of LR. I wouldnt worry about exhausting material so early. I'm not exactly sure I can tell you how long it takes but I'll say it will definitely come as you do more. I spent a lot of time doing untimed sections at the beginning of my prep so cant really say how accurate I was in 35 minute sections at that time, but it was probably similar to yours (-5 to -7) but the difference is I'd struggle to even finish the section in 35 minutes. I still struggle to finish on time but I now generally get -0 to -1. Might I suggest you try drilling your weak question types? Cambridge sells packets by LR question types if you are interested. Just keep at it. I drilled by question type for PT's 1-38. 4 PT's is really not much so dont be dismayed. Just keep going forward, and trust that improvement will come with more practice and very careful review (go on to forums like manhattan lsat and look for explanations).

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:50 pm

The key to improving LR is focusing on and acing the fundamentals before paying too much attention to time. In your case, you should be drilling by question-type, and then taking ~40 minute sections until you're consistently scoring -0 or -1. Only at that point, when your skills are near perfect, should time become your focus.

Best,

Blueprint LSAT Prep

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:58 pm

40 minute sections is bad advice, but untimed drilling by question type is an absolutely essential practice at the beginning of your prep. If you're not doing that, abandon full section work, and drill questions by type.

But for timed sections, if you're finishing in 30 minutes, you're doing it wrong. Slow down. Read and reread the stimuli. Double check your answer choices before you move on. Be as meticulous and thorough as you possibly can in your elimination process. Try to finish as close to 35 as possible.

e: To address your question, nobody can tell you how long it will take for you to "ace" LR. It depends on the work you do. But question type drilling is the key to mastery. Spend 100% of your day doing that, and you might be at the -0/-1 level by January. Don't do any of that, and you could be exactly where you are now in May.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”