How to indicate to law schools that I cancelled Dec. score?

mohdban

How to indicate to law schools that I cancelled Dec. score?

Postby mohdban » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:20 am

Hey guys,

I sat for the december test but fell ill during, so I decided to cancel the test.

I want to submit my applications now, but I need to indicate on my applications each date I intended to take the LSAT.

How do I indicate in my LSAC applications that I cancelled my score? I don't want schools to hold off my application till they receive the report (which will probably be around January 1st).

Thanks.

Nebby

Re: How to indicate to law schools that I cancelled Dec. score?

Postby Nebby » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:36 am

Do you have an LSAT score?

mohdban

Postby mohdban » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:55 am

Yes I have a reportable score from September.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:09 pm

Then there's no need to tell them you cancelled.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:44 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:Then there's no need to tell them you cancelled.

Incorrect.

OP, if you don't want the schools you are applying to to wait until Dec scores are released to consider your applications complete and ready to review, you do need to notify the schools that you cancelled. Otherwise they won't know until December scores are released and your CAS file is updated to show that you cancelled your score for the December test because the LSAC CAS applications system schools use to view submitted applications currently shows in your file that you were registered to take the December LSAT.

With the LSAC CAS system, schools you apply to are automatically notified/see in the system that you are/were registered to take the December test and won't know that you cancelled until either scores are released and your CAS file is updated to reflect the cancellation or until you notify them and tell them you want them to review your application based only on your currently reported LSAT score that's already on file. When schools see that an applicant is/was registered for an administration for which scores haven't yet been released, they presume that you want them to wait for that score to be reported before reviewing your app since your application wouldn't be considered complete without that score. LSAC doesn't notify schools about which people took the test and cancelled (as opposed to withdrew registration and didn't actually take the test) before scores are released since they update all test takers CAS files (with either a score, an absent mark, or a 'score cancelled' mark) at the same time when scores are released for everybody.

Just send the schools you apply to an email telling them you cancelled your December score and want them to consider your application complete regarding LSAT scores and review it using your reported LSAT score that's already in your CAS file/report and/or include that information in your applications if you haven't officially submitted them yet.
Last edited by Jeffort on Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:50 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:Then there's no need to tell them you cancelled.

def not true (unless of course you want them to wait to look at it until scores come out)

send them an email and tell them your app is good to go as is, no new lsat coming

mohdban

Postby mohdban » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:28 am

Thanks guys!

mohdban

Postby mohdban » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:40 pm

For new applications, should I include the Dec. LSAT here? (I cancelled it):

1. Indicate dates you have taken or plan to take the LSAT

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:36 pm

mohdban wrote:For new applications, should I include the Dec. LSAT here? (I cancelled it):

1. Indicate dates you have taken or plan to take the LSAT

Yes, since you did take the December LSAT you must include it in your answer to that question.

If there's space in that part of the application form to do so, also include that you cancelled the score and want them to review your apps based on your already reported LSAT score. You should also include a separate document stating that you cancelled the score and would like them to review your application ASAP once it's otherwise complete based on your already reported score to make sure your apps don't accidentally get put into the 'wait for Dec LSAT score release to review' pile/file.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”