January 1st (Thursday)
6%
January 2nd (Friday)
51%
January 3rd (Saturday)
4%
January 4th (Sunday)
2%
January 5th (Monday, Official Due-by Date)
13%

Total votes: 224

secadc11

Re: DECEMBER 2014 WAITERS (Score Release Poll is up!!)

Postby secadc11 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:10 pm

peger wrote:On to happier news, I checked my LSAC academic report thang for the first time and they bumped up my GPA. Haaaaaaaaaay.

Congrats! I just checked LSAC and my third LOR is in, so I'm officially ready to hit submit come score release time.

thatlawlkid

Postby thatlawlkid » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:11 pm

The kind of issues that are being referred to occur much more at random parties than they do at fraternity houses. The issue is that fraternities are held responsible because they represent something larger than an individual. No one ever hears about the positive impact that greek life make on campus. People never care about the positives, they just love to spread and perpetuate the hate and stereotypes.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:12 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:The kind of issues that are being referred to occur much more at random parties than they do at fraternity houses. The issue is that fraternities are held responsible because they represent something larger than an individual. No one ever hears about the positive impact that greek life make on campus. People never care about the positives, they just love to spread and perpetuate the hate and stereotypes.

Not entirely true. I was never in a greek org and I have a lot of love for the AGR bros at my UG. There are a lot of frats at my UG with really cool philanthropies.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:13 pm

GreenTee wrote:
A few questionable claims in this particular story can't discount the fact that this kind of thing happens all the fucking time at campus parties, and it's a huge problem.

And yes, I think frat culture is largely responsible.

^^^This is often the takeaway from every false story that fits the paradigm. I should've used an "in before..." comment, as this was as certain as the sun rising tomorrow.

By the way, I agree that there's a cultural issue and it is a serious problem. Seeking out "just the right" target and willing a tenuous story to be true is not the means to remedy it, however.

An indictment on a particular individual, fraternity, etc. screws with people's lives. I don't like bashing a couple lambs' heads against the wall to prove a broader point. It's counter-productive and un-American.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:13 pm

GreenTee wrote:
A few questionable claims in this particular story can't discount the fact that this kind of thing happens all the fucking time at campus parties, and it's a huge problem.

yeah its def a problem that happens all over but to claim it is greek culture causing it is silly. That happens in all sorts of environments be it greek, athletic, or neither

peger

Postby peger » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:14 pm

I was never a fan of greek life but I think it's a bit reductive to blame it for rape culture on campus and I honestly doubt we'd see a fall in sexual assaults simply by getting rid of frats.

Postby 2654815451 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:15 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:The kind of issues that are being referred to occur much more at random parties than they do at fraternity houses. The issue is that fraternities are held responsible because they represent something larger than an individual. No one ever hears about the positive impact that greek life make on campus. People never care about the positives, they just love to spread and perpetuate the hate and stereotypes.

Not entirely true. I was never in a greek org and I have a lot of love for the AGR bros at my UG. There are a lot of frats at my UG with really cool philanthropies.

Most of my friends are in sororities. I would be in one if it wasn't for my busy schedule and full-time job. Although, not all are good/bad and I am partial to Kappa Delta.

peger

Postby peger » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:16 pm

secadc11 wrote:
peger wrote:On to happier news, I checked my LSAC academic report thang for the first time and they bumped up my GPA. Haaaaaaaaaay.

Congrats! I just checked LSAC and my third LOR is in, so I'm officially ready to hit submit come score release time.

Thanks! Half of the reason I don't want scores out today is that I don't want to finish my apps, lol.

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:20 pm

GreenTee wrote: And yes, I think frat culture is largely responsible.

how so? I strongly disagree with your statement and think it is just a blatant ignorant statement to make.

i think the problem delves into the drinking age of america. students generally enter college at the age of 18, thus three years underage. Therefore, bars are off limits (i mean sure you can get a fake id, but this is beside the point). Needless to say, they cannot buy alcohol. So what does a 18 year old, who WANTS to drink choose to do? attend frat parties because there is accessible liquor. How can we fix this? How about lower the drinking age to 18? This way, students who enter college are legally allowed to drink and can be more safe about their choices. Moreover, a really interesting proposal I've read is to lower the drinking age to 18 so that fraternities can have police enter their parties and ensure students are drinking responsibly. By lowering the drinking age, cops aren't trying to bust kids for underage drinking anymore and kids feel more safe drinking because they know it is not illegal and they have police to help take care if needed be. I know i didn't flesh out this idea fully but this is something to consider.

moreover, at my school (and i am assuming other schools too) when you try to enter a fraternity party, one is asked if they are a student at the university and if they are 21 or above. Thus, the fraternity does its part in complying with laws. If the students wishes to lie about their age, it is not the fraternity's fault because there wasn't resonable doubt to thing they weren't 21. You aren't going to ask for their drivers licensee when working the door, so you ask them to be honest about it. This is even stronger with schools that have strict honor codes (UVA). Once the student represents himself/herself as a UVA student they are bound not to lie and as a member of a frat, and also a member of the honor code community, you believe the student.
Last edited by cavalier2015 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thatlawlkid

Postby thatlawlkid » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:21 pm

Jgoods wrote:
GreenTee wrote:

yeah its def a problem that happens all over but to claim it is greek culture causing it is silly. That happens in all sorts of environments be it greek, athletic, or neither

^This all the way. I spent This previous semester as president of my greek organization and nothing made me happier than being able to represent such an excellent group of individuals. Its just aggravating to hear such things being pinned to such a general group of people. I know some poeple commit these actions but i also have first hand knowledge of witnessing thousands of dollars raised for disability awareness, gave my sweat and time to building handicap ramps across my country for disadvantaged families that needed them and have had the pleasure of knowing 4 seperate brothers all of whom sacrificed entire summers to biking across America for philanthropy. generalizations help no one, and dont forget what the old saying is about making assumptions.

JVrva

Postby JVrva » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:23 pm

I logged into LSAC, and there are green arrows over the response report, answer sheet, etc for the Dec. LSAT. I'm not sure if the arrows have always been there- just getting anxious and probably reading into it! Let me know!

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:24 pm

JVrva wrote:I logged into LSAC, and there are green arrows over the response report, answer sheet, etc for the Dec. LSAT. I'm not sure if the arrows have always been there- just getting anxious and probably reading into it! Let me know!

Those are always there. You're just anxious. :)

thatlawlkid

Postby thatlawlkid » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:24 pm

JVrva wrote:I logged into LSAC, and there are green arrows over the response report, answer sheet, etc for the Dec. LSAT. I'm not sure if the arrows have always been there- just getting anxious and probably reading into it! Let me know!

always green, when scores are coming out they turn grey

Postby 2654815451 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:25 pm

Arrows always there. Sorry.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:25 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:

always green, when scores are coming out they turn BAN

LeeAllen

Postby LeeAllen » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:26 pm

secadc11 wrote:

Did it just get posted today? If so, wouldn't that mean at least some people are in the office?

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:28 pm

LeeAllen wrote:
secadc11 wrote:

Did it just get posted today? If so, wouldn't that mean at least some people are in the office?

I think that's probably an automated thing. (No humans required)

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:28 pm

cavalier2015 wrote:
GreenTee wrote: And yes, I think frat culture is largely responsible.

how so? I strongly disagree with your statement and think it is just a blatant ignorant statement to make.

i think the problem delves into the drinking age of america. students generally enter college at the age of 18, thus three years underage. Therefore, bars are off limits (i mean sure you can get a fake id, but this is beside the point). Needless to say, they cannot buy alcohol. So what does a 18 year old, who WANTS to drink choose to do? attend frat parties because there is accessible liquor. How can we fix this? How about lower the drinking age to 18? This way, students who enter college are legally allowed to drink and can be more safe about their choices. Moreover, a really interesting proposal I've read is to lower the drinking age to 18 so that fraternities can have police enter their parties and look for students who may be too drunk and make sure they are safe. By lowering the drinking age, cops aren't trying to bust kids for underage drinking anymore and kids feel more safe drinking because they know it is not illegal and they have police to help take care if needed be. I know i didn't flesh out this idea fully but this is something to consider.

moreover, at my school (and i am assuming other schools too) when you try to enter a fraternity party, one is asked if they are a student at the university and if they are 21 or above. Thus, the fraternity does its part in complying with laws. If the students wishes to lie about their age, it is not the fraternity's fault because there wasn't resonable doubt to thing they weren't 21. You aren't going to ask for their drivers licensee when working the door, so you ask them to be honest about it. This is even stronger with schools that have strict honor codes (UVA). Once the student represents himself/herself as a UVA student they are bound not to lie and if they lie and as a member of frat, and also a member of the honor code community, you believe the student.

Omg. This is a gross generalization and conflation of rape culture and what leads to it. Lowering the drinking age is dumb. Here's why: in campuses where are there no frats, it's very common to have older students purchase alcohol for you. You are simply placing the burden on the fact that drinking causes people to do dumb things. Consider that in several cases where rape occurs on college campuses, other substances are involved. The intent to rape is present. See: roofies. Simply lowering the drinking age will increase accessibility to alcohol and situations where rape can happen. It normalizes it. That's an absurd argument.

The reason why frats perpetuate this kind of behavior is due to hazing and the whole hierarchical structure that are inherent in fraternities, among a whole host of other reasons. I should feel comfortable going to a party without being pressed up against the wall and having some guy force himself on me and make me drink a beverage I have no interest in consuming. I've been to frat parties where the punch was spiked with drugs. That's normal in frats and shrugged off as being okay, and that's a problem.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:29 pm

This discussion is just really upsetting. Shaq, OUT.

jw316

Postby jw316 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:30 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:That incident didn't happen but a frat at my UG was shut down for 4 years because they had a history of roofie-ing girls at their parties.

As someone who did the greek thang in undergrad I can definitely say with certainty that "not all frats." So it sucks when stuff like that kind of taints the picture as a whole since there are good and bad apples in every basket.

Obviously there aren't accurate/representative statistics on that kind of thing so no one knows for sure how widespread it really is but at least to me it's kind of disgusting how common stuff like that is and even just the attitudes toward women. I know we're usually talking like 18-21/22 year olds basically but idk, whether it was hearing about a girl going to house ABC and having xyz happen or just being at a party and seeing guys be creepers. I used to get offended when a girl would be like "nah not taking that drink from you, I brought my own" and almost like take it personally because that's just not the type of person I am/have never been, and I would hope that's not the type of organization I joined or would associate myself with. But after time spent in the greek system I can definitely see why women can be cautious about frat parties and drinking at them, etc.

I've seen fucked up shit that I personally had to stop—both at my own fraternity, though never anything too morally questionable or else I would've been done; and in other houses as well—and I know it's taboo to be in another house "starting shit" but I didn't really care about starting a "frat war" because at the end of the day being a decent human being outweighs all.

On the other side of the coin, sorority girls aren't angels. There are certainly exceptions to everything but idk some of the same stuff I'd hear my "bros" say and be like "dude seriously?" well I'd then basically hear some sorority girl say the same thing to her friends and then that kind of put me at odds. Like there are no excuses at all but you don't think you're maybe kinda sorta encouraging "the ugly part of frat culture" by walking into a men's bathroom at the house or down a dormer hallway where you know all the guys sleep, and shouting stuff out like "I just wanna drink til I blackout and blow someone" or "fuck I just need some dick tonight I don't even care who" (and not joking).

We can talk about philanthropy (~30,000 people at my undergrad/my chapter isn't even very big and probably raised more than $1,000,000 while I was there for everything from the ACS to Lupus, etc.) or helping out in the community or Greek Week (we'd usually raise $85,000-$100,000 alone just for this) , or social connections and networking, whatever. All of that stuff is incredibly important and the main reason why I joined the fraternity I did (as well as a connection to the guys that were already brothers and the chapter's solid commitment to academics—highest GPA in the greek system and we partied the hardest).

But in my experience, it still comes back to social events like date party or formal, etc. and the weekend parties and tailgate, since typically parties are where your name gets out to the university as a whole. Like GDI's don't care if KD raised xyz or if Pike won Theta's softball tournament. GDI's do care that Beta Beta Beta threw this awesome party last weekend that didn't get shut down and there were a bunch of hot girls and the music was awesome.

If you guys truly haven't witnessed some questionable stuff then I thank G-d there are at least some good people still out there.

LeeAllen

Postby LeeAllen » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:31 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
LeeAllen wrote:
secadc11 wrote:

Aren't most letters mailed in? Or is that done electronically?

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:32 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:I should feel comfortable going to a party without being pressed up against the wall and having some guy force himself on me and make me drink a beverage I have no interest in consuming.

This (though not quite so extreme) happens to me at the bar every time I go out. srs.

The last time I went out, I had one guy make comments about my ass, another grabbed it, a third started chatting me up about my jewelry like he was gonna snatch it off me and a fourth on the way to my car tried to put his arm around my waist.

These things have nothing to do with frats or the drinking age. Its a social problem.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby 2654815451 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:34 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
LeeAllen wrote:
secadc11 wrote:

I sent in one application and LSAC sent score report when they requested it. I think it is also automated but not sure.

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:34 pm

Shakawkaw wrote: Omg. This is a gross generalization and conflation of rape culture and what leads to it. Lowering the drinking age is dumb. Here's why: in campuses where are there no frats, it's very common to have older students purchase alcohol for you. You are simply placing the burden on the fact that drinking causes people to do dumb things. Consider that in several cases where rape occurs on college campuses, other substances are involved. The intent to rape is present. See: roofies. Simply lowering the drinking age will increase accessibility to alcohol and situations where rape can happen. It normalizes it. That's an absurd argument.

The reason why frats perpetuate this kind of behavior is due to hazing and the whole hierarchical structure that are inherent in fraternities, among a whole host of other reasons. I should feel comfortable going to a party without being pressed up against the wall and having some guy force himself on me and make me drink a beverage I have no interest in consuming. I've been to frat parties where the punch was spiked with drugs. That's normal in frats and shrugged off as being okay, and that's a problem.

please do not generalize a statement such as "that's normal in frats and shrugged off as being okay". it is not normal and is not shrugged off as being okay. in fact, most frats have leadership positions that ensure the chapter's compliance with laws. if you're taking about "gross generalizations" that you seem to be discussing, that statement is vastly generalized
Last edited by cavalier2015 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 2654815451 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:34 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:I should feel comfortable going to a party without being pressed up against the wall and having some guy force himself on me and make me drink a beverage I have no interest in consuming.

This (though not quite so extreme) happens to me at the bar every time I go out. srs.

The last time I went out, I had one guy make comments about my ass, another grabbed it, a third started chatting me up about my jewelry like he was gonna snatch it off me and a fourth on the way to my car tried to put his arm around me waist.

These things have nothing to do with frats or the drinking age. Its a social problem.

Yes.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”