DECEMBER 2014 WAITERS Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

When will scores be released?

December 29th (Monday) or earlier
16%
December 30th (Tuesday)
4%
December 31st (Wednesday)
4%
January 1st (Thursday)
6%
January 2nd (Friday)
51%
January 3rd (Saturday)
4%
January 4th (Sunday)
2%
January 5th (Monday, Official Due-by Date)
13%

Total votes: 224

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:41 pm

secadc11

Silver

Re: DECEMBER 2014 WAITERS

Post by secadc11 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:42 pm

peppermint wrote:
mecarey wrote:
Dirigo wrote:Yeah that's tough, pepp. My dad was in the navy for 20 years and my mom basically dropped all her own dreams to keep moving across the country with him whenever he got transferred.
(same reason rigo has lives in 20%+ of the states.)

So unless you're willing to completely give up on/postpone your law school dreams, it seems you two would remain long distance for awhile. If he has any idea where he'd be stationed next, then maybe you two could plan to at least move closer to eachother. If Norfolk/Virginia Beach, UVA & Duke aren't too far. If San Diego, UCLA&USC are closeby (even though these aren't as good of schools given lack of ties & desire for degree mobility).

I def hope you figure it out. Don't dim your shine for someone else, no matter how much you care for them.
Follow-on comment: I'm in the military right now and I see this kind of stuff time and time again. The hard truth is that a military spouse's career comes second. There is no way around it. Service to our country is very demanding on a family and all but rules out the possibility of a substantive career for the spouse, ESPECIALLY if you're considering something like biglaw.

Do you plan on having children at some point? The Navy goes on regular ship tours for 6-12 months at a time. Do you realistically see your law career balancing well with a family and a part-time spouse?

I don't mean to be all debbie-downer here . . . I have seen it work where both have a career, but that's the exception. It will take a LOT of work.
This exactly. My dad's AF so I grew up a military kid. I really can't see myself giving up my career to live the military life again. I don't think it's going to work anymore :| if he was a bit supportive, maybe, but he's so not.
Sounds like you already knew the answer deep down but just needed a little support. Good luck. Things will all work out.

peppermint

Gold

Post by peppermint » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:43 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:44 pm

mist4bison wrote:
peppermint wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone! <3 you all so much!!

Yeah, we're not married & he's always been on my case about pursuing a career. He didn't even want me to take this job in Boston, but I'm a chemist & come on, there's no real opportunities for chemists in AL. I'm tempted to cut the strings b/c I really want someone who will support me through this process rather than always try to convince me otherwise. I think it's pretty much over now.
Okay, I don't feel as bad about the advice I gave and subsequently deleted now haha.

Definitely be with someone who supports you. You deserve to be fully supported. Him having opinions about where you move is understandable, but him disagreeing with you going to law school/postponing/retakign is ridiculous.

Plus you're a hot supermodel and already have nlee in the bag
Someone call me? :wink:

But really Pepp, I'd have a real serious talk whenever you see him next. Long distance relationships of any sorts are challenging, particularly service commitments. I actually have a buddy in the Navy currently based in San Diego but he gets reassigned to a new port/station every year or something. So I can only imagine how tough of a situation it is to be in this sort of long distance relationship. Hope everything works out!

koala-fy

Silver

Post by koala-fy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:46 pm

Pep, don't settle for anything less than supportive. You 100% deserve that. I know you'll find it. For example, literally everyone in this thread wants you ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GreenTee

Silver

Post by GreenTee » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:46 pm

koala-fy wrote:Pep, don't settle for anything less than supportive. You 100% deserve that. I know you'll find it. For example, literally everyone in this thread wants you ;)
Seconded.

peppermint

Gold

Post by peppermint » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:49 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Post by 2654815451 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:51 pm

peppermint wrote:
GreenTee wrote:
koala-fy wrote:Pep, don't settle for anything less than supportive. You 100% deserve that. I know you'll find it. For example, literally everyone in this thread wants you ;)
Seconded.
You guys are the greatest. Seriously, I love you all so much! <3

Ok, it's a done deal. I'll talk to him tonight. I feel free, you guys. It's a weird feeling.

Also, ITFR, YES! Let's totally pig out on choc cookies tonight. Girls night, who's in?!
IM IN! IM IN! IM IN!

mist4bison

Gold

Post by mist4bison » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:52 pm

peppermint wrote:
GreenTee wrote:
Seconded.
You guys are the greatest. Seriously, I love you all so much! <3

Ok, it's a done deal. I'll talk to him tonight. I feel free, you guys. It's a weird feeling.

Also, ITFR, YES! Let's totally pig out on choc cookies binge drink tonight. Girls night, who's in?!
FTFY

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

peppermint

Gold

Post by peppermint » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:53 pm

koala-fy

Silver

Post by koala-fy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:54 pm

We need to all hang out. Why are we not all in within 30 mins of each other? Confused.

mist4bison

Gold

Post by mist4bison » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:55 pm

koala-fy wrote:We need to all hang out. Why are we not all in within 30 mins of each other? Confused.
We'll just all go to Harvard and hang out daily. Mkay?

peppermint

Gold

Post by peppermint » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:57 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

peppermint

Gold

Post by peppermint » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:00 pm

jw316

Silver

Post by jw316 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:26 pm

EDIT cuz I just caught up on the thread and now I look insensitive as fawk.

Pep they're right! Everyone deserves to be supported. Aside from your friends and family, your SO should be one of your biggest supporters...not trying to discourage you from pursuing your dreams. But only you know what's best for you.
Last edited by jw316 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Wieters

Bronze

Post by Wieters » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:32 pm

jw316 wrote:Is the "Law School Admission Game" book still the go-to source for the other components of the application? I only have an older copy but I need to get going on my PS/DS/essays.

Also started filling out my first app today—I can't even describe how unreal that feels after all this time and walking away from the exam again and again.
I started this book awhile back but didn't finish as most everything seemed intuitive and so a waste of time. She tries to write for a very wide audience, and the result is that there aren't very many particular insights but rather broad guidelines across the spectrum. I would think your time would be better spent asking TLS/googling for answers to specific questions.

jw316

Silver

Post by jw316 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:36 pm

Wieters wrote:
jw316 wrote:Is the "Law School Admission Game" book still the go-to source for the other components of the application? I only have an older copy but I need to get going on my PS/DS/essays.

Also started filling out my first app today—I can't even describe how unreal that feels after all this time and walking away from the exam again and again.
I started this book awhile back but didn't finish as most everything seemed intuitive and so a waste of time. She tries to write for a very wide audience, and the result is that there aren't very many particular insights but rather broad guidelines across the spectrum. I would think your time would be better spent asking TLS/googling for answers to specific questions.
Thanks for the reply Wieters. What's the best place to start? Just check out some stickies in one of the other forums? I really haven't done anything app related before. I'm starting with the "lowest" school on my list and then going from there just in case I screw anything up :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

peppermint

Gold

Post by peppermint » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:37 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrdavila09

Bronze

Post by jrdavila09 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:45 pm

go to Harvard.

what? like it's hard?

pta

Gold

Post removed...

Post by pta » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by pta on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wieters

Bronze

Post by Wieters » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:47 pm

jw316 wrote:
Wieters wrote:

Thanks for the reply Wieters. What's the best place to start? Just check out some stickies in one of the other forums? I really haven't done anything app related before. I'm starting with the "lowest" school on my list and then going from there just in case I screw anything up :shock:
I'm in the application process as well, so I'm still figuring this out myself, but I would say that you should start filling out applications as soon as possible. Make note of the categories etc. where you aren't sure how to answer, and then use google (site:top-law-schools.com XXissueXX) to sift through TLS and see if the questions has been answered. For example, Boston College (I think) asks for SAT scores from high schools; use google to search TLS for ways people have handled that as it is a strong search tool and will dig through keywords in 2-3 year old threads and on page 24 of them etc. If this fails, create a new topic.

I've also heard that calling admissions offices streamlines the process of getting questions answered and shows your face, so to speak.

I began applications to all the schools I'm interested in several months ago because there is an option you can choose wherein they can see you've started the application, which methinks might be another good way of demonstrating interest rather than just opening/submitting the night before. Not sure this matters but it may help.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

koala-fy

Silver

Post by koala-fy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:50 pm

jrdavila09 wrote:go to Harvard.

what? like it's hard?
There's a sweatshirt that says this and I think we all need to get it

peppermint

Gold

Post by peppermint » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:55 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:58 pm

peppermint wrote:
koala-fy wrote:GT, both cute kitten and cute guy :D
Agree with this so much. No wonder Shak wants a piece of him!! :wink:
lol no. GT wants to date me.

I want a piece of pep. 8)

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:59 pm

Dear pep,

Sacrifice is important in a relationship, but you have to make sure you're not the only one giving up everything. It has to be even. And seeing as he's not even supportive, that is a HUGE red flag. Dump the zero and get with a hero.

xoxo,
Shaq.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”