DECEMBER 2014 WAITERS Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

When will scores be released?

December 29th (Monday) or earlier
16%
December 30th (Tuesday)
4%
December 31st (Wednesday)
4%
January 1st (Thursday)
6%
January 2nd (Friday)
51%
January 3rd (Saturday)
4%
January 4th (Sunday)
2%
January 5th (Monday, Official Due-by Date)
13%

Total votes: 224

hillz

Silver

Re: DECEMBER 2014 WAITERS

Post by hillz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:23 pm

peppermint wrote:Guys, since we're real talking here, can I ask y'all something? For those of you in relationships, what do you say to your SO if he/she isn't fully agreeable to you going to law school and/or postponing/retaking the LSAT?
My husband was super supportive about me retaking the LSAT and actually encouraged me to do it. My family didn't really understand why I didn't want to settle for a score below 170, so I totally understand where other posters are coming from about that.

As for actually choosing a school, my SO wants the best for me but he is really debt-averse and doesn't understand the law school world. I've been trying to get him used to the idea of taking out loans. I created an online folder with resources for my fam and SO so everyone could understand why certain schools have higher employment scores, how much it costs, etc. I think that's been somewhat helpful.

I can see it from a SO's point of view - it would be frustrating if my SO were constantly studying and I didn't feel like I was getting enough time. So maybe that's the real reason the SO is being supportive?? And then I would probably try to make a greater effort to still spend time together outside of the LSAT. If I weren't yet married, I would probably be a lot more resistant if my SO didn't want to go to the same school and wasn't supportive. I guess it also depends on whether you're able to compromise or not, based on your own career goals and how possible it will be to reach them from a different school.

Relationships. All about balance, but damn, they can be hard.

mist4bison

Gold

Post by mist4bison » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:24 pm

peppermint wrote:He's in the navy, he doesn't want me to go to law school at all, much less spend months studying for the LSAT. Right now he's stationed in AL, so we're doing long distance for the moment (I'm in boston) & he's upset about that + the fact that I was supposed to take the LSAT in Sept but postponed to Dec, which I postponed to Feb. I'm just not getting a lot of support from him & we're becoming really distant. Idk.
Disclaimer: I'm a terrible person to give advice, because I'm far too independent/stubborn/emotionally unavailable to be in a relationship with 99.9% of guys.
ETA: I'm not qualified to give relationship advice :lol:
Last edited by mist4bison on Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Also, peppermint, it sounds like your SO might be near me.

koala-fy

Silver

Post by koala-fy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:25 pm

peppermint wrote:He's in the navy, he doesn't want me to go to law school at all, much less spend months studying for the LSAT. Right now he's stationed in AL, so we're doing long distance for the moment (I'm in boston) & he's upset about that + the fact that I was supposed to take the LSAT in Sept but postponed to Dec, which I postponed to Feb. I'm just not getting a lot of support from him & we're becoming really distant. Idk.
Oh, pep :( Long distance sucks so much (doing it right now). In my experience a lot of tension/distant feelings like this stem from just missing each other. Have you talked about this in person? Conversations like this really suck if you're not in person (although I realize that's not always possible). But I mean, this is something you want to do for yourself. It's ultimately part of what's going to be your job, just like him being in AL is.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:25 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

koala-fy

Silver

Post by koala-fy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:26 pm

Dirigo wrote:
koala-fy wrote:
peppermint wrote:Guys, since we're real talking here, can I ask y'all something? For those of you in relationships, what do you say to your SO if he/she isn't fully agreeable to you going to law school and/or postponing/retaking the LSAT?
I'm really lucky. My boyfriend has been very supportive and is telling me to just do what I think is best. He is applying to med schools for fall 2016 and he is fully on board with applying to places near where I end up for law school, even if we have no idea where that is right now. He took the MCAT, so I guess he knows how stressful these exams are.
~*~Power Couple Alert!~*~
Lol maybe in like 10 years!! It takes so long to become a doctor :shock:

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:26 pm

smccgrey wrote:
hillz wrote:Also, peppermint, it sounds like your SO might be near me.
Hillz I love your christmas-tar.
TY! I really enjoy awkward dancing.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:27 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:27 pm

Dirigo wrote:I really love when hillz weighs in on things. She is one of my favorite substantive posters.
Hah! Sorry - I know I'm the Queen of Unwanted Advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mecarey

New

Post by mecarey » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:28 pm

I'm a bit older than a majority of posters here so I might bring a bit of a different perspective . . .

I made the decision to leave my well-established career for law school (entering next year). There were many, MANY long serious talks between me and the 2-year SO that involved everything from relationshipy stuff, finances, family, moving, careers, opportunities . .. not all of them went well, but all of them were an open discussion that involved a lot of back-and-forth communication. She has a career as well, and she also has her entire family in the state we're at now (which we won't be staying in while I'm in law school).

To keep our relationship healthy I made the decision to rule out entire geographical areas with highly ranked law schools that I could probably get admitted to. She hates Chicago - that rules out Northwestern and Chicago. She's really not a fan of New York either - that rules out a few more. Lots of people on here would say "You're an idiot!! It's just some chick, and you have lots of great work experience that Northwestern would LOVE! That's your best bet at T14!"

Ultimately every relationship reaches a point where you have to ask yourself - is it worth it? Are you willing to make some sacrifices for this person? Are the sacrifices they're willing to make for you enough to make you happy? I might be ruling some schools out of my search, but she's moving away from her family and her own career to support me.

TL;DR - If you're looking for someone to go along with your plan 100%, then you're going to be looking for a long, LONG time. Sacrifices have to be made (by both people) for a relationship to work.

End ramble.

Bronze

Post by 2654815451 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:29 pm

In regards to the SO conversation, I have no SO. lol.
I have no SO, no family, no anything really... (that sounds real negative but for real)
EXCEPT, I do have friends that are scattered everywhere.
So, I'm pretty much willing to travel wherever to school. That makes me excited and happy but also lonely sometimes. I hope to meet someone during or right after law school.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:30 pm

Tell him to suck it up or you're gonna take your supermodel self somewhere else.

But, on the real, that sucks Pepp. He needs to understand that this is your goal/dream and if you don't get where you want to be are you going to feel resentment toward him for holding you back.

Fortunately, I just broke up with my SO (like 6 months) and therefore have no qualms about moving to TX to take over the world. I don't think law school would have ever really been an option if I had stayed with him.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

secadc11

Silver

Post by secadc11 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:30 pm

mecarey wrote:
I'm a bit older than a majority of posters here so I might bring a bit of a different perspective . . .

I made the decision to leave my well-established career for law school (entering next year). There were many, MANY long serious talks between me and the 2-year SO that involved everything from relationshipy stuff, finances, family, moving, careers, opportunities . .. not all of them went well, but all of them were an open discussion that involved a lot of back-and-forth communication. She has a career as well, and she also has her entire family in the state we're at now (which we won't be staying in while I'm in law school).

To keep our relationship healthy I made the decision to rule out entire geographical areas with highly ranked law schools that I could probably get admitted to. She hates Chicago - that rules out Northwestern and Chicago. She's really not a fan of New York either - that rules out a few more. Lots of people on here would say "You're an idiot!! It's just some chick, and you have lots of great work experience that Northwestern would LOVE! That's your best bet at T14!"

Ultimately every relationship reaches a point where you have to ask yourself - is it worth it? Are you willing to make some sacrifices for this person? Are the sacrifices they're willing to make for you enough to make you happy? I might be ruling some schools out of my search, but she's moving away from her family and her own career to support me.

TL;DR - If you're looking for someone to go along with your plan 100%, then you're going to be looking for a long, LONG time. Sacrifices have to be made (by both people) for a relationship to work.

End ramble.
I've done this same thing - ruled out large areas for my fiance. I don't see it as loss opportunities; if anything, it helps me narrow down my search a bit. As others have said, you have to find a balance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 2654815451 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:32 pm

mist4bison wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm a terrible person to give advice, because I'm far too independent/stubborn/emotionally unavailable to be in a relationship with 99.9% of guys.
ETA: I'm not qualified to give relationship advice :lol:
Your disclaimer is so my disclaimer...sooooo my disclaimer. lol

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:32 pm

BTW, while were talking about evaluating serious relationships, this is good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1tCAXVsClw

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:33 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

koala-fy

Silver

Post by koala-fy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:34 pm

secadc11 wrote:
mecarey wrote:

End ramble.
I've done this same thing - ruled out large areas for my fiance. I don't see it as loss opportunities; if anything, it helps me narrow down my search a bit. As others have said, you have to find a balance.
Doing the same thing. I'm going to make sure to be near med schools he feels he has a chance to get into.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:34 pm

About time Rigo! Love it.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peppermint

Gold

Post by peppermint » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:34 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mecarey

New

Post by mecarey » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:36 pm

Dirigo wrote:Yeah that's tough, pepp. My dad was in the navy for 20 years and my mom basically dropped all her own dreams to keep moving across the country with him whenever he got transferred.
(same reason rigo has lives in 20%+ of the states.)

So unless you're willing to completely give up on/postpone your law school dreams, it seems you two would remain long distance for awhile. If he has any idea where he'd be stationed next, then maybe you two could plan to at least move closer to eachother. If Norfolk/Virginia Beach, UVA & Duke aren't too far. If San Diego, UCLA&USC are closeby (even though these aren't as good of schools given lack of ties & desire for degree mobility).

I def hope you figure it out. Don't dim your shine for someone else, no matter how much you care for them.
Follow-on comment: I'm in the military right now and I see this kind of stuff time and time again. The hard truth is that a military spouse's career comes second. There is no way around it. Service to our country is very demanding on a family and all but rules out the possibility of a substantive career for the spouse, ESPECIALLY if you're considering something like biglaw.

Do you plan on having children at some point? The Navy goes on regular ship tours for 6-12 months at a time. Do you realistically see your law career balancing well with a family and a part-time spouse?

I don't mean to be all debbie-downer here . . . I have seen it work where both have a career, but that's the exception. It will take a LOT of work.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:36 pm

peppermint wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone! <3 you all so much!!

Yeah, we're not married & he's always been on my case about pursuing a career. He didn't even want me to take this job in Boston, but I'm a chemist & come on, there's no real opportunities for chemists in AL. I'm tempted to cut the strings b/c I really want someone who will support me through this process rather than always try to convince me otherwise. I think it's pretty much over now.
Ohhhh Pepp. :( Well if you need us, unusual can come pick you up in her private jet and bring you to my house where we'll pig out on chocolate chip cookies and all this awesome popcorn I have.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:36 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

mist4bison

Gold

Post by mist4bison » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:38 pm

peppermint wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone! <3 you all so much!!

Yeah, we're not married & he's always been on my case about pursuing a career. He didn't even want me to take this job in Boston, but I'm a chemist & come on, there's no real opportunities for chemists in AL. I'm tempted to cut the strings b/c I really want someone who will support me through this process rather than always try to convince me otherwise. I think it's pretty much over now.
Okay, I don't feel as bad about the advice I gave and subsequently deleted now haha.

Definitely be with someone who supports you. You deserve to be fully supported. Him having opinions about where you move is understandable, but him disagreeing with you going to law school/postponing/retakign is ridiculous.

Plus you're a hot supermodel and already have nlee in the bag

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:39 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

peppermint

Gold

Post by peppermint » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”