I need help understanding answer choice (A) in PT4S1Q2

I<3ScholarlySweets!

I need help understanding answer choice (A) in PT4S1Q2

Postby I<3ScholarlySweets! » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:54 am

I have the same question as this MLSAT forum user:
I have a further question for choice A:
It says uncovered laboratory tests does actually contribute to improving the quality.

Whereas the conclusion of the stimulus says that Insurance company regulations that deny coverage decrease the quality.

If we take uncovered test = deny coverage, then it seems these two statements have run into contradiction. I think the correct answer should rather emphasise that only covered lab tests can increase the quality (hence if it is not covered, then the quality decreases)

Have I misread or misunderstood anything?

link: https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/foru ... 4ced3a2868

I<3ScholarlySweets!

Re: I need help understanding answer choice (A) in PT4S1Q2

Postby I<3ScholarlySweets! » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:36 am

Here is my analysis (after re-reading it 100 times):

(1.) The phrase "certain laboratory tests" in the stimulus could mean: covered laboratory tests or uncovered laboratory tests, or both.

(2.) So, according to the stimulus and if we use the above sentence, insurance companies can deny coverage to either covered laboratory tests or uncovered laboratory tests, or both.

(3.) (A) is credited because it justifies the word "certain" in "certain laboratory tests" in the stimulus.

(4.) (A) could also have been credited had it switched the word "uncovered" with "covered" [see (2.)].

(5.) (A) could also have been credited had it included both "uncovered" and "covered" [see (2.)]

But now the question would be: what does "covered" mean? One would think that this means "covered" by insurance companies, but this cannot be the case, according to the credited response.

Christine (MLSAT)

Postby Christine (MLSAT) » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:26 pm

I think you're running into some sticky issues by overformalizing some of what's going on.

First things first: when an insurance company 'denies coverage' for something, that thing then becomes 'uncovered'. The 'denial of coverage' is the thing that decides whether something is 'covered' or 'uncovered'!!

With that settled, it might be easier to think of 'denying coverage' and 'uncovered' as the same thing as 'prohibiting'/'prohibited'. While technically, those aren't the same, in the world of our health care system, they may as well be - and it will help you see what's actually happening here.

So, the conclusion is saying that when the insurance company prohibits lab tests, medical care suffers.

(A) is saying that the physical exams + the now-prohibited tests together provide a better diagnosis. I.e., that the now-prohibited lab tests add value.

Now, this is NOT saying that the lab tests add value when they are prohibited. That just doesn't make any sense. It's saying, essentially 'those tests that are now prohibited? Yeah those? They are actually really useful when we do them.' It's simply pointing to the lab tests the insurance companies deny coverage for, and then telling us that when they are actually performed they add value to diagnoses.

Thoughts?

I<3ScholarlySweets!

Postby I<3ScholarlySweets! » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:22 pm

I was at Subway reading your post, Christine, whilst eating a 6-inch tuna sandwich, and it finally clicked--in particular, your last paragraph.

I was indeed reading (A) as: lab tests add value when they are prohibited.

I get, now, that the author is saying: the now prohibited lab tests (+ physical exams) add value when we do em'.

But I really hate (A)'s wording. Would you agree that it still would have been credited had it dropped "uncovered" altogether?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”