100%
Change it up
No votes

Total votes: 3

MattM

Quality Over Quantity?

Postby MattM » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Hello,

Do you think a quality over quantity approach is best for the LSAT as it is not a memorization test but rather a skills based test?

Im currently at a very high 160's low 170 mark and my approach has been quality based

Two things of the things I do is blind review on all questions afterwards before looking at the answers and also writing down in a notebook my own explanations as to why four answers were wrong and why the correct choice was credited

But in doing all this I will probably have done less full length PT's than many on here because of the lengthy way it takes for me to review

I still believe a quality approach is best but let me know if any thoughts

peppermint

Re: Quality Over Quantity?

Postby peppermint » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:33 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:51 pm

MattM wrote:Hello,

Do you think a quality over quantity approach is best for the LSAT as it is not a memorization test but rather a skills based test?

Im currently at a very high 160's low 170 mark and my approach has been quality based

Two things of the things I do is blind review on all questions afterwards before looking at the answers and also writing down in a notebook my own explanations as to why four answers were wrong and why the correct choice was credited

But in doing all this I will probably have done less full length PT's than many on here because of the lengthy way it takes for me to review

nah, get in as many PT's, sections, and questions as you can, pick your answers and never look back, just try to get as much as you can in... who cares if you dont learn what you're supposed to from it

it sounds like you looked into how to properly study for this, incorporated it and actually write out ur explanations (like a lot of people skip) and then ask if you should change what has gotten you to a pretty solid score range (assuming your diag wasnt high 160's)

keep doing what you're doing, get whatever PT's in as you can, properly review them so you can continue to get things down. if you want to get more PT's in do some doubles (2 in a row) and spend the days you dont have the time to take a full PT to BR. hard to say how to approach getting the max amount of quality work in without knowing ur time restraints but overall, quality is more important

hillz

Postby hillz » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:06 pm

What you're doing is the right thing, IMO. It's better to spend more time reviewing than just taking PTs without spending time figuring out what you did wrong.

Have you been drilling, too?

Barbaroix2

Postby Barbaroix2 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:34 pm

I know the popular thing to say is that you should Blind Review every test and drill question types on which you are particularly weak.

But the real answer IMO is to play to your own strengths. You know how you should study. Don't follow somebody else's plan if you do not think that it will work for you.

I went for a quantity based approach and it worked out for me. Good luck.

MattM

Postby MattM » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:48 pm

Jgoods wrote:
MattM wrote:Hello,

nah, get in as many PT's, sections, and questions as you can, pick your answers and never look back, just try to get as much as you can in... who cares if you dont learn what you're supposed to from it

it sounds like you looked into how to properly study for this, incorporated it and actually write out ur explanations (like a lot of people skip) and then ask if you should change what has gotten you to a pretty solid score range (assuming your diag wasnt high 160's)

keep doing what you're doing, get whatever PT's in as you can, properly review them so you can continue to get things down. if you want to get more PT's in do some doubles (2 in a row) and spend the days you dont have the time to take a full PT to BR. hard to say how to approach getting the max amount of quality work in without knowing ur time restraints but overall, quality is more important

Not even remotely close....diag was a 145 so its been a long journey.

I feel review is a very underrated part of LSAT prep and probably why the "test day score drop" is so common because many people haven't fully understood each PT and just raced through them without building the skills needed for test day

MattM

Postby MattM » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:55 pm

hillz wrote:What you're doing is the right thing, IMO. It's better to spend more time reviewing than just taking PTs without spending time figuring out what you did wrong.

Have you been drilling, too?

What;s the best drilling strategy for LR....individual question types or doing a LSAT section from a PT?

I like aspects about each approach to LR ...Drilling : focuses on a particular question type you are having issues on. LSAT section : gives a good review on all LR type questions

I have pretty good LR scores -3 per section or less....I have mostly been taking LSAT sections and writing my own explanations after finishing the set.

I planned on taking the december LSAT but unable to sit it so postponing until Sept/Dec 2015....but this gives me for time to self study, I bought one set of the Cambridge packets and probably will buy some more of those

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”