Drilling and Tracking Progress

SweetTort

Drilling and Tracking Progress

Postby SweetTort » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:37 pm

So, I'm new to all of this, and I apologize if this thread is redundant.

As far as drilling goes, how do you most effectively drill (how many questions, which questions, etc.) while using a prep book like Manhattan or PS LG Bible?

Second, how do you keep track of which questions you did while drilling, your scores, etc?

hillz

Re: Drilling and Tracking Progress

Postby hillz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:48 pm

I worked through the Bibles and then started drilling afterwards using the Cambridge packets sorted by type. I mostly worked through the questions in order and would mark which ones I had done. I used PTs to identify which question types I had the most trouble with but I still tried to hit all of the question types; I just did less work on the types that came more naturally to me. I typically tried to do at least 15-20 questions per day, even on days when I was focusing more on other sections.

I created a schedule on Google Docs before I started studying and tried to stick to that as best as I could. Having a schedule really helped me stay on track and not skimp on prepping. I also had another Google Doc where I kept track of the questions I had missed so that I could go back and review later.

ETA: I kept track of my PT scores using LsatQA.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:02 pm

hillz wrote:I worked through the Bibles and then started drilling afterwards using the Cambridge packets sorted by type. I mostly worked through the questions in order and would mark which ones I had done. I used PTs to identify which question types I had the most trouble with but I still tried to hit all of the question types; I just did less work on the types that came more naturally to me. I typically tried to do at least 15-20 questions per day, even on days when I was focusing more on other sections.

I created a schedule on Google Docs before I started studying and tried to stick to that as best as I could. Having a schedule really helped me stay on track and not skimp on prepping. I also had another Google Doc where I kept track of the questions I had missed so that I could go back and review later.

ETA: I kept track of my PT scores using LsatQA.

So did you print them all at once and bind them? Or did you print as you went?

hillz

Postby hillz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:29 pm

I printed about half of them at first and then printed the next round closer to when I thought I would get to them. It eats up a lot of paper/time to print them so that's why I did it that way.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:41 pm

OK, so a good strategy would be:

- first, read my LG bible, Manhattan LR, and LSAT Trainer
- next, practice test and drill, focusing on problem areas.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:48 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:58 pm

mist4bison wrote:
SweetTort wrote:OK, so a good strategy would be:

For games, I'd suggest drilling while reading the bible. Manhattan had LR drills in the book, if I remember correctly. LSAt Trainer has a bunch of drills, too. I don't think LGB had that many though.

Just as an aside, the Trainer may be boring if done last. Especially because Manhattan and the Trainer share a lot of qualities.

Also, I know this was discussed in another thread and I even mentioned that a PT isn't necessary before you begin, but I think it might be worthwhile. It really is such a huge ego boost to see how far you've come from learning the fundamentals and drilling. But it is up to you.

Well, I ended up taking a diagnostic and scored a 159, missing 11 on the logic games. Do you mean a PT post reading but prior to drilling?

hillz

Postby hillz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:02 pm

Reading the Bibles first before drilling helped me. The LR and LG Bibles both have exercises throughout so you can practice while you are learning how to do specific types and then there is a section at the end with all of the exercises arranged randomly.

I agree that taking a PT before you even crack open your first guide is helpful. You'll be able to see how far you've come and then you have a baseline. Then start taking PTs regularly after you've worked through whichever guides you decide to read and have begun drilling. Be careful not take too many PTs without reviewing and really trying to understand why you missed problems.

Also suggest using the 7Sage app when you start PTing because it has noise distractions built in so you get used to working in a less-than-ideal environment.

hillz

Postby hillz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:03 pm

SweetTort wrote:
mist4bison wrote:

For games, I'd suggest drilling while reading the bible. Manhattan had LR drills in the book, if I remember correctly. LSAt Trainer has a bunch of drills, too. I don't think LGB had that many though.

Just as an aside, the Trainer may be boring if done last. Especially because Manhattan and the Trainer share a lot of qualities.

Also, I know this was discussed in another thread and I even mentioned that a PT isn't necessary before you begin, but I think it might be worthwhile. It really is such a huge ego boost to see how far you've come from learning the fundamentals and drilling. But it is up to you.

Well, I ended up taking a diagnostic and scored a 159, missing 11 on the logic games. Do you mean a PT post reading but prior to drilling?

A 159 is a good place to start. I don't think you necessarily have to take a PT post reading, but I did. If you're like me you'll begin improving simply by reading more about the question types and how to attack them. The logic games section is very learnable. It was hard for me at first but it ended up being my best section on the real thing.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:07 pm

hillz wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
mist4bison wrote:

A 159 is a good place to start. I don't think you necessarily have to take a PT post reading, but I did. If you're like me you'll begin improving simply by reading more about the question types and how to attack them. The logic games section is very learnable. It was hard for me at first but it ended up being my best section on the real thing.

Haha, that's what's causing me not to panic. I did -11 on LG and -8 on LR, and people say that those are the two that people improve on the most if they work at it. Not sure how I'm going to lower the -4 on RC, but obviously that's a secondary concern.

I'm just hoping that learning to graph the games will just kind of make it all click.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:09 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hillz

Postby hillz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:12 pm

You'll definitely improve by learning to diagram LGs. Brute forcing and trying to figure it out in your head is hard.

There is a strategy to RC, too. There's a wealth of info on TLS about improving and most of it revolves around looking for the main points, marking/taking notes, and not looking too closely at details. You'll figure it out. I recommend the RC packets. I didn't buy them right away because I thought I would be just fine (hey, I know how to read - I've been doing it for a long time now) but once I gave in, RC packets helped me build familiarity and comfort.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:13 pm

hillz wrote:You'll definitely improve by learning to diagram LGs. Brute forcing and trying to figure it out in your head is hard.

There is a strategy to RC, too. There's a wealth of info on TLS about improving and most of it revolves around looking for the main points, marking/taking notes, and not looking too closely at details. You'll figure it out. I recommend the RC packets. I didn't buy them right away because I thought I would be just fine (hey, I know how to read - I've been doing it for a long time now) but once I gave in, RC packets helped me build familiarity and comfort.

Would it be a bad idea to take the test in February if I take a PT at the end of December and am near my target score? I'm a little worried that if I study until June I will burn out or run out of material.

hillz

Postby hillz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:19 pm

SweetTort wrote:
hillz wrote:You'll definitely improve by learning to diagram LGs. Brute forcing and trying to figure it out in your head is hard.

Would it be a bad idea to take the test in February if I take a PT at the end of December and am near my target score? I'm a little worried that if I study until June I will burn out or run out of material.

I think it really depends. I took twice and the first time around, I was PTing closer to where I wanted to be but not as consistently as I should have been. I took two months later and improved by 8 points. For me, the two months afterwards was the perfect amount of time and I felt like I was peaking right at the perfect time. I'm not sure, however, that I would have been able to perform so well if I hadn't already built up a base from taking the first time.

I think my advice would be to make sure that you are PTing consistently a few points higher than your target score. Your score will probably go down on test day due to jitters and distractions, and it's good to prepare for that. Most schools will simply take your highest score nowadays so it's not quite as important that you only take once (except for maybe Y and S) but I still don't recommend taking if you don't feel ready.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:22 pm

hillz wrote:
SweetTort wrote:

I think it really depends. I took twice and the first time around, I was PTing closer to where I wanted to be but not as consistently as I should have been. I took two months later and improved by 8 points. For me, the two months afterwards was the perfect amount of time and I felt like I was peaking right at the perfect time. I'm not sure, however, that I would have been able to perform so well if I hadn't already built up a base from taking the first time.

I think my advice would be to make sure that you are PTing consistently a few points higher than your target score. Your score will probably go down on test day due to jitters and distractions, and it's good to prepare for that. Most schools will simply take your highest score nowadays so it's not quite as important that you only take once (except for maybe Y and S) but I still don't recommend taking if you don't feel ready.

Would there be any real risk of taking it in June?

hillz

Postby hillz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:25 pm

SweetTort wrote:

I don't think so. Not sure where you are in the admissions process, but June is a good time to take because even if you apply for 2019, you have September if you need to retake. A lot of people study for an entire year, and while I didn't study that long, I did study for my first take for a good 4 months or so. If you're able to stick to your schedule, think about what motivates you (as cheesy as that sounds), and maybe join a study group on here or in real life, you shouldn't get too distracted. If you PT consistently, you'll know where you're at and be able to keep working towards your goal.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:28 pm

hillz wrote:
SweetTort wrote:

I don't think so. Not sure where you are in the admissions process, but June is a good time to take because even if you apply for 2019, you have September if you need to retake. A lot of people study for an entire year, and while I didn't study that long, I did study for my first take for a good 4 months or so. If you're able to stick to your schedule, think about what motivates you (as cheesy as that sounds), and maybe join a study group on here or in real life, you shouldn't get too distracted. If you PT consistently, you'll know where you're at and be able to keep working towards your goal.

Awesome, thanks for all the help!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”