LR Backward

RobertGolddust

LR Backward

Postby RobertGolddust » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:41 pm

For those who take LR sections in reverse, how long do you typically spend on questions 25-15?

gentlemanscholar

Re: LR Backward

Postby gentlemanscholar » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:57 pm

This is the first I have heard of this strategy. But it sounds bizarre because the last few questions are the tough ones. Usually you want to get all the easy points before sinking a lot of time into a question that you are less likely to answer correctly in the first place. I would recommend going in regular order.

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:11 pm

I do not do this, but I would be interested in what people who do have to say. I think it could be a good strategy as long as you usually finish the section with a couple minutes to spare. That way you tackle the hardest questions when you are less tired. Anyone have success with it?

Wieters

Postby Wieters » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:43 pm

Assuming you have time, I would toy with this idea. It has appealed to me, but I didn't want to change my strategy after having prepared for so long and now taking the test in December.

As another poster noted, the real disadvantage seems to be that questions 1-10ish are normally guaranteed points, and if you don't get to/miss anything more than one question in that portion because you have reversed the order then it's not worth the potential benefits. There's an easy way to check this, though; take a few LR sections backwards and see if the points you get on 11-25 are better relative to what you had been scoring when the questions are taken in the given order. Factor in how many you miss on 1-10 (or 10-1), again relative to what you missed before. Ultimately, create a sample size where you have a viable point of reference.

At the end of the day, I think that once you have mastered the LSAT in general and LR in particular in terms of knowing every question type etc., the biggest obstacle is psychologically being able to defeat a time-pressured test. Starting with question 25/26 and working backwards could really disturb your psyche within the first 5/6 questions and potentially detract from your ability to get to, let alone defeat, the rest of the questions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”