Last minute logic games help

Wasr

Last minute logic games help

Postby Wasr » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:22 pm

I just took my most recent practice test (PT66) and scored a 168. The breakdown was...

RC: -2
LR1: -1
LG: -8
LR2: -2

I have been studying for about five months now and am registered for the December LSAT but at this point I'm kind of freaking out. I know that I would be in good shape to hit my goal of a 170+ if I could just get a handle on logic games. Unfortunately my LG scores have been all over the board. I have a real problem with timing, I can almost never finish all of the games and if I do I usually make a lot of mistakes. If I spend all of my time on just three of the games I can usually get most of the questions right but then of course I am stuck guessing on the last game. So I guess the question is does anyone have any advice for my last few days of prep? I've read the LG bible, watched the 7sage videos and recently bought the Cambridge packets (although I have only had time to drill a few game types) Right now my plan is to just keep drilling games and hope something clicks...

Rigo

Re: Last minute logic games help

Postby Rigo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:20 pm

Just drill like a maniac.
How to Drill Logic Games
Make multiple copies of each game.
Do a game.
Watch the 7 Sage Explanation for that game.
Get a fresh copy of that game and do it again, incorporating what you learned.
Watch the video again if needed.
Move onto the next game and repeat the process.
Do the games you did again the next day and see if you remember how to set them up and solve them. If not, watch the video again.
It's a tedious process, but you're guaranteed to improve by drilling like this. Similar inferences can be made across all games and you are able to make them correctly and quickly the more experience you get.

Hopefully it clicks for you by Friday (the withdraw deadline). Your performance in the other sections is stellar so it would stink for you to lose it on most-learnable section.
GOODLUCK!

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:07 pm

Is there something inefficient going on with your diagramming? Given how strong you are on the other sections, it's odd that you're so slow on LG.

LG was also the toughest section for me. I know that I saved a ton of time by repeatedly sharpening my diagramming technique. In particular, practicing reading my ordering diagrams backwards using contrapositives was a big help. I also went through like 5 iterations of my grouping game diagrams.

It may be worth taking a critical look at your diagrams and seeing if there's any fat to cut. I found 7sage's diagrams were generally pretty efficient for me, so I used those as a base and then modified to suit my preferences. Less pencil strokes not only saves you time writing, but also makes your diagrams faster to analyze so that you see more connections.

You could also experiment with spending more or less time fleshing out rules and corollaries from the prompt before beginning the questions. If you're hitting a mental block w/ LG, you could be panicking and going to the questions too quickly. Or you could be doing the opposite, trying to flesh out the rules too much and leaving too little time to deal with the questions.

Wasr

Postby Wasr » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:06 pm

Thanks for both of your responses.

kcdc1 wrote:Is there something inefficient going on with your diagramming? Given how strong you are on the other sections, it's odd that you're so slow on LG.

LG was also the toughest section for me. I know that I saved a ton of time by repeatedly sharpening my diagramming technique. In particular, practicing reading my ordering diagrams backwards using contrapositives was a big help. I also went through like 5 iterations of my grouping game diagrams.

It may be worth taking a critical look at your diagrams and seeing if there's any fat to cut. I found 7sage's diagrams were generally pretty efficient for me, so I used those as a base and then modified to suit my preferences. Less pencil strokes not only saves you time writing, but also makes your diagrams faster to analyze so that you see more connections.

You could also experiment with spending more or less time fleshing out rules and corollaries from the prompt before beginning the questions. If you're hitting a mental block w/ LG, you could be panicking and going to the questions too quickly. Or you could be doing the opposite, trying to flesh out the rules too much and leaving too little time to deal with the questions.

I think the bold part is causing at least some of my troubles. When I do games sections un-timed I can figure out most of the inferences before I get to the questions and things go pretty smoothly. When I'm taking a timed practice test I often find that I've missed some important inference at some point during the questions. Then I panic and waste even more time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”