Proofread my LSAT strategy?

SweetTort

Proofread my LSAT strategy?

Postby SweetTort » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:40 pm

Hey, all!

First, sorry if this is redundant/in the wrong place/can be found in the search bar. Please let me know if this is the case.

Second, I was hoping the collective wisdom of TLS could proofread my LSAT strategy and purchasing materials to make sure I'm not wasting money or testing materials.

Materials:

- Manhattan LSAT 3 book bundle, 4th edition -- $80
- Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible-- $44
- Powerscore Logic Games Bible -- $45
- Cambridge Ultimate LSAT Prep Package (tests 1-38 divided by type, tests 39-70 available in entirety for PTing, all downloadable so I can print multiple copies)-- $280

Total: 460-ish with tax, plus the cost of printing.

Strategy:

Read Powerscores first, drilling after each section with Cambridge. Follow up with reading Manhattan, more drilling. Follow with PT's. Take test in 4ish or 5ish months if I'm PTing in the 170+ range.

So, is the strategy good? More importantly, am I spending too much on prep materials? I've read several of the guides (including Pithypike) and this is what I feel meshes them together, though I may be totally misguided.

Thanks so much for your help!

SweetTort

Re: Proofread my LSAT strategy?

Postby SweetTort » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:46 pm

Also, as far as printing the things you drill, do you print them all at once? Or as you go?

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:47 pm

Looks pretty good given you will take this in June/September. FWIW, I enjoyed Manhattan LR much more than the Bible (which I never even finished). On that note, if you happen to like Manhattan LR, take a look at the LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim.

Have you taken a diagnostic PT?

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:48 pm

SweetTort wrote:Also, as far as printing the things you drill, do you print them all at once? Or as you go?

I just print as I go because I have access to a legit printer anytime I want.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:50 pm

What is your diagnostic score? If you're already pretty good (e.g., 160s), you might not need all those books. Lots of people will tell you to go all out on study materials because the LSAT is very important, but buying not one but two guides for a section you're missing < 5 on is probably a waste of money.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:52 pm

To be honest, I have yet to take a diagnostic. I was worried about wasting materials that could later be important. Should I take one first and then reevaluate?

Also, are Manhattan and PS redundant? As in, should I just get Manhattan?

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:59 pm

SweetTort wrote:Also, as far as printing the things you drill, do you print them all at once? Or as you go?

Print many at once because the sweet monotony of printing, flipping for double sided printing, hole-punching, and binding 500+ pages feels great. You get to turn your brain off and become an assembly line robot for an hour. Plus then you always have materials when you want them.

SweetTort wrote:To be honest, I have yet to take a diagnostic. I was worried about wasting materials that could later be important. Should I take one first and then reevaluate?

Yes you should take a diagnostic soon. There are over 70 PTs so don't worry about wasting materials. It is very unlikely that you'll actually use all those materials, and even if you do, reusing materials isn't bad at all. Unless you're some super genius, you're not going to remember that logical structure of questions you did 6 months ago, even if do you remember the unimportant parts of the stimuli like names.

Manhattan and PS are different but would probably be redundant in practice. Get one set and only buy the other if you're still struggling and feel like you need to see a different approach. Btw PS is the undisputed leader for LG.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:02 pm

RZ5646 wrote:

Print many at once because the sweet monotony of printing, flipping for double sided printing, hole-punching, and binding 500+ pages feels great. You get to turn your brain off and become an assembly line robot for an hour. Plus then you always have materials when you want them.

SweetTort wrote:To be honest, I have yet to take a diagnostic. I was worried about wasting materials that could later be important. Should I take one first and then reevaluate?

Yes you should take a diagnostic soon. There are over 70 PTs so don't worry about wasting materials. It is very unlikely that you'll actually use all those materials, and even if you do, reusing materials isn't bad at all. Unless you're some super genius, you're not going to remember that logical structure of questions you did 6 months ago, even if do you remember the unimportant parts of the stimuli like names.

Manhattan and PS are different but would probably be redundant in practice. Get one set and only buy the other if you're still struggling and feel like you need to see a different approach. Btw PS is the undisputed leader for LG.

OK, so moving forward:

1. Which PT should I take to get a diagnostic, and where should I get it?

2. Should I get the PS LG, and then Manhattan for the other two?

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:06 pm

SweetTort wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:

OK, so moving forward:

1) You can download the free PT from LSAC administered June 2007.

http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... ptjune.pdf

2) PS and Manhattan are among the most recommended on this forum. Beyond that is preference. Some will prefer all the PS Bibles versus Manhattan and vice versa.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:18 pm

SweetTort wrote:OK, so moving forward:

1. It really doesn't matter which PT you take as long as it's from this millennium but lot of people take that June 2007 test that the other poster recommended because it's on LSAC's website. It's the one I took for my diag.

2. Again it really doesn't matter but like I said PS is generally recommended for LG.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:20 pm

OK, cool. So, I'll take this diagnostic tomorrow, score it, and then return to this thread and see where to go from there.

Thanks so much for your help!

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:27 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:35 pm

mist4bison wrote:In response to your OP, I think that all the Bibles and Manhattan books is overkill. You don't need to learn the fundamentals twice. Learn it, drill it, drill it more. Maybe retouch fundamentals a little when you feel the need, but you don't need two different books. Personally, I liked Manhattan a lot more than PS for LR. I used the Trainer and PS for LG, so I can't attest to whether Manhattan or PS is better for that.

Going with this, would Cambridge be overkill? Or is it the best way to group/get practice tests?

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:15 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:34 pm

SweetTort wrote:
mist4bison wrote:In response to your OP, I think that all the Bibles and Manhattan books is overkill. You don't need to learn the fundamentals twice. Learn it, drill it, drill it more. Maybe retouch fundamentals a little when you feel the need, but you don't need two different books. Personally, I liked Manhattan a lot more than PS for LR. I used the Trainer and PS for LG, so I can't attest to whether Manhattan or PS is better for that.

Going with this, would Cambridge be overkill? Or is it the best way to group/get practice tests?

No. This is a must-have. It beats having to BUY all the old PT's, printing them out, and manually sorting them by question types.

ETA: I'm shocked people from my prep course have never heard of the Cambridge packets. :shock:

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:00 am

OK, so I just took a diagnostic. Please let me know how I should adjust my studying due to this (time, focus) and also whether or not this is a good or a bad sign. Sorry, I'm sort of clueless as far as diagnostics go.

Timed Diagnostic: 159

Logic Games: -11
Logical Reasoning Section 1: -4
Logical Reasoning Section 2: -4
Reading Comprehension: -4

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:15 am

SweetTort wrote:OK, so I just took a diagnostic. Please let me know how I should adjust my studying due to this (time, focus) and also whether or not this is a good or a bad sign. Sorry, I'm sort of clueless as far as diagnostics go.

Wow. You are prime material for a 170+. I would def pick up LG Bible or Manhattan LG (whatever you prefer) and get a solid LG methodology. After a month of studying + drilling, you can work your way to a -0 to -2 range on LG.

As for LR, I would also give one of those books a read and just drill. RC is pretty good for your diagnostic so I would just drill and perhaps you can improve a point or two. In other words, you are in a really good spot.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:34 am

nlee10 wrote:
SweetTort wrote:OK, so I just took a diagnostic. Please let me know how I should adjust my studying due to this (time, focus) and also whether or not this is a good or a bad sign. Sorry, I'm sort of clueless as far as diagnostics go.

Wow. You are prime material for a 170+. I would def pick up LG Bible or Manhattan LG (whatever you prefer) and get a solid LG methodology. After a month of studying + drilling, you can work your way to a -0 to -2 range on LG.

As for LR, I would also give one of those books a read and just drill. RC is pretty good for your diagnostic so I would just drill and perhaps you can improve a point or two. In other words, you are in a really good spot.

Thanks so much! As far as time allowed, I'll be going to college and playing a sport during this next semester, so I should probably space my studying out and take it in June, not February, correct?

Thanks for being so helpful.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:39 am

That's quite good. As you probably know, LG is the most learnable section, so you're in a good place. If you master LG, which is apparently not that difficult to do, and bump up your other sections a little, you should break 170.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:39 am

SweetTort wrote:Thanks so much! As far as time allowed, I'll be going to college and playing a sport during this next semester, so I should probably space my studying out and take it in June, not February, correct?

Thanks for being so helpful.

Correct, a June test sounds perfect for you. I would start studying during your winter break and have a balanced schedule throughout your Spring semester. Once you know some of the strategies for LR and especially LG, you'll start improving in no time. I'm assuming you took your diagnostic timed? J/k, you stated it.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:47 am

Thank you both so much! You've really helped with this, and put my mind at ease a bit. I always think of myself as pretty dumb, so the thought that I could eventually manage a 170 seems insane.

Returning to the original topic, Manhattan Bundle, Powerscore for Logic Games, and then Cambridge?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”