Really Frustrated

MA9

Really Frustrated

Postby MA9 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some advice or hear from someone that went through a similar experience.

I've been studying for the LSAT for a solid three months now and I've been averaging about 15-20hrs a week of studying. I'm registered to take the December LSAT in one week and I'm just not where I need to be. I've taken full length practice tests and cannot break out of the 151-154 range. I feel like I've put so much time into prep and feel really discouraged.

My biggest issue is with timing. I've taken the practice tests un-timed and I do quite well. I'm feeling very down about things because I have a 3.8 gpa and I know that I'm an intelligent person who would excel in law school.

I don't want to cancel the LSAT coming up in one week because it will be my first attempt. If I postpone and wait until February without a December score I don't want prospective schools to think I procrastinated and didn't take things seriously with my only attempt being in February. I also have serious reservations about taking the February LSAT in general because once scores are administered it wont be until March which is awfully close, and sometimes beyond, many of the school's deadlines for the fall 2015 year.

A few schools that I'm hoping for are Temple, Cincinnati, MSU, and Arizona.

Thanks,

-M

CardozoLaw09

Re: Really Frustrated

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:52 pm

Drill some more to better your timing. Focus on accuracy instead of speed, and then the speed will come naturally. Also isolate the reasons you think you're getting questions wrong and then refine your approach accordingly ie) figure out 1. why you got the question wrong 2. what was your process on that question 3. how would you change your process to get the right answer next time

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:13 pm

I agree that you should focus on accuracy and the speed should come naturally. However, it might not come as quickly as you would hope before the Dec exam. You said you are spending 15-20 hours a week studying which sounds like a lot, are these all quality hours? For example I personally need to set aside about 30 hours a week in order to get a good 20 quality hours of studying in with all the mini breaks I take or if I "study" in front of the tv or while I eat dinner. I would make sure you get as much quality studying in before December and worry about accuracy.

Also, is there a need to apply this cycle? With a 3.8 gpa and a little more studying to raise your score you can get some good scholarship money at the schools you are looking at. I think February is a little late in the cycle to apply.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:20 pm

^ Yeah.

It's in your best interest to defer until June and really take advantage of the time you'll have to master this thing. Don't waste that GPA - it sucks deferring, but it could potentially be incredibly rewarding.

MattM

Postby MattM » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:48 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:^ Yeah.

It's in your best interest to defer until June and really take advantage of the time you'll have to master this thing. Don't waste that GPA - it sucks deferring, but it could potentially be incredibly rewarding.

This besides...you never know when you will break through the 150's some people take longer than others.

I was also there for about the same time as you but now in the very high 160 - low 170 range

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Most top-scorers study for way longer than 3 months. Don't feel discouraged.

Withdraw for December.
Sit out the cycle.
Retake if necessary.
Form a better list of schools. Seriously...what's up the with assortment of weak regionals?

gentlemanscholar

Postby gentlemanscholar » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:58 pm

The test is so important. waiting a year and getting a great score is worth it. the scholarship money from a good test can be worth years of student loan money and going to a better school will change the trajectory of your future.

MA9

Postby MA9 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. It just kills me to think about waiting an entire year but I guess I have to weigh my options. So everyone pretty much thinks that the February test is no good? I'm thinking about getting different prep material.

I purchased the LR and LG Bibles and I honestly didn't feel like I gained that much from either one. I purchased the Manhattan LR book and I really like how that one is organized and feel like I gained a lot from the way that particular book displayed its tips and info. I'm thinking about getting the Manhattan LR and LG books and seeing if I get more out of those.

Are there any February success stories out there? I'm still really holding onto hope for next year...

JackelJ

Postby JackelJ » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:07 pm

MA9 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. It just kills me to think about waiting an entire year but I guess I have to weigh my options. So everyone pretty much thinks that the February test is no good? I'm thinking about getting different prep material.

I purchased the LR and LG Bibles and I honestly didn't feel like I gained that much from either one. I purchased the Manhattan LR book and I really like how that one is organized and feel like I gained a lot from the way that particular book displayed its tips and info. I'm thinking about getting the Manhattan LR and LG books and seeing if I get more out of those.

Are there any February success stories out there? I'm still really holding onto hope for next year...

Yeah, I know it seems like it will suck to wait a year. But law school isn't going anywhere. And waiting a year can pay off in thousands of dollars in scholarships and a better school with more job prospects after graduation.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:48 pm

1: pretty much all of those schools you are hoping for are terrible, and you should not go to any of them under probably any circumstance.

2: Good news: if you can't score any better, you can find something better to do with your life.

Pretty much every post on this site is implicitly prefaced with: "Don't do it kid (law school), but if you must ...." You mustn't, so if you have any other options, abilities, or ambitions, at all, spend a few years working towards those, and if they all flame out, then come back to this garbage.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:04 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote: "Don't do it kid (law school), but if you must ...."

The above is true and if you do insist on going to law school the general consensus here is go to a T14 with a significant scholly (if not a full ride) or alternatively a strong regional with a full ride. That said, I would definitely wait it out a year and aim for your best LSAT

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:13 am

MA9 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. It just kills me to think about waiting an entire year but I guess I have to weigh my options. So everyone pretty much thinks that the February test is no good? I'm thinking about getting different prep material.

The February test is just like the other three administrations. That fact that it's non-disclosed really means nothing other than that you'll always be curious which questions you missed.

I have a good friend who 174'd on the February test. Hasn't held her back this cycle whatsoever. She didn't apply the same cycle as her score though.

And drop the imaginary stigma you think adcoms place on the February test. It says nothing about your character. A score is a score is a score.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:33 am

Dirigo wrote:And drop the imaginary stigma you think adcoms place on the February test. It says nothing about your character. A score is a score is a score.

OP just thinks that adcomms will think he procrastinated by waiting until the very last minute to take the LSAT since Feb. is the last time you can take the test and still apply for 2015; although they won't think that, taking the Feb test does put pressure on you to score higher (all the more reason to defer) since you are taking it relatively later than other applicants who have taken June, Sept, and Dec. tests and have already applied. That's the only negative with taking the Feb test with respect to an adcomms perspective

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:22 pm

It may be a bummer, but I think you should very seriously consider applying next year.

A 3.8 is a precious thing to waste -- and to be frank that LSAT range will waste it.

In most cases, waiting and studying for a year will see your score jump several points and also give you the opportunity to augment your resume. Do consider a prep course as well, if solo-studying hasn't quite cut it.

Either way, best of luck,

Blueprint LSAT Prep

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”