Test 40, Section 1, Question 22: Translation help?

konoha

Test 40, Section 1, Question 22: Translation help?

Postby konoha » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:39 am

Hi, I am having trouble understanding the last sentence of the paragraph:

..."further, although only those who are highly successful are well known among their peers, no sales persons who are self-motivated regret their career choices".

The 'although' is throwing me off.

I drew a venn diagram for the question and I think that maybe all those who are motivated and highly successful have no regret with their career choices.

but with the 'although' thrown in the mix, is the interpretation that only those who are motivated and not highly successful are the ones with no regret?

Thanks.

Christine (MLSAT)

Re: Test 40, Section 1, Question 22: Translation help?

Postby Christine (MLSAT) » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:53 pm

I think Venn diagrams for a question like this are dangerous and potentially extremely confusing.

The vast majority of the statements you get in this inference question can be translated to simple conditionals, and many can be linked. In fact, the only statement that's not a conditional would be that many not-highly-successful salespeople are not well organized or self-motivated. Unsurprisingly, the correct answer hinges on the linked conditionals, not the vague 'many' statement.

The word "although" doesn't change the logical construction of any of the statements. The second sentence contains two logical thoughts: 1) only those who are highly successful are well known among their peers and 2) no salespersons who are self-motivated regret their career choices. "Although" is simply a rhetorical indicator of contrast - it has no logical or conditional significance.

You should end up with 3 or 4 conditional statements that link together in a chain, allowing you to connect "if well known among peers, then no regrets".

What do you think?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”