Should I Postpone Until February?

Ronnielol
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:43 pm

Should I Postpone Until February?

Postby Ronnielol » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi, everyone. I'm in a bit of a predicament, and I want your advice. Basically, I've been studying for the LSAT for about three months now. I'm using the Power Score Bibles and I took a 6-week class at a local university. Even with all this prep, I'm scoring consecutive 148s on my PTs. I literally did one an hour ago and got -12 on one LR section and -14 on the other. I got -13 on the LG and -12 on the RC. To make matters worse, I don't even have the excuse that I'm working, because I lost my job a couple of months ago, so I've been studying full time. I'm basically an idiot. I'm registered for the December test, but I am not ready by any means. I want to take the test in February, but my mother keeps discouraging me from postponing.

I'm so frustrated. I graduated in May, took the year off, and I REALLY don't want to take another year off. I'm sick of being at home, and I want to move on with my life.

Fortunately, the school I want to go to still accepts February scores. Does it look bad that the Feb. test will be my first, or should I just try out the December test and see how that goes?

How much improvement would be realistic in two months? I'm job hunting, so hopefully I'll be working soon.

What do you all suggest?

ANY advice will be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

MattM
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:05 am

Re: Should I Postpone Until February?

Postby MattM » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:28 pm

Why take now?...Employment chances wold be hard to find with going to a school that accepts those scores..

Feb is often too late for this cycle...although I suppose it beats a 148.

Test day scores often drop from PT due to test day stress anxiety whatnot....so a 148 could be a 144/145 ish.

I started with a 145 diag in Feb and got to a 171 so it can be done given proper study and effort. Quality prep is more important than quantity.

User avatar
Shakawkaw
Posts: 2710
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Should I Postpone Until February?

Postby Shakawkaw » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:30 pm

Just because I'm nosey, which course did you take?

Here's the thing - you're the one going to law school, not your mother. It should be your decision. Law school isn't going to go anywhere and rushing into a decision when you're not ready isn't going to be particularly fruitful, either.

I suggest you postpone until February. Or even June. Or September! You're supposed to take it when you're ready. Ideally, you should be scoring a little higher than your target score to account for any point drops the day of.

If you're having trouble with the homelyfe, move out when you get a job! Think of it this way - if you rush into the decision of going to lawlschool with a low LSAT score, your job prospects are not going to be particularly good, depending on the school you end up at. On top of that, you'll be dealing with law school debt. Do you really want to put yourself in that position?

Retake. Get a score you're happy with and profit, scholarship wise and life wise. There's no reason to rush a decision when you know you're not ready.

Also, discard the "my score reflects my worth" narrative. Scores don't mean shit. But if you're going to carelessly apply and take a test when you're not ready, then yes - you would be an idiot. The test is learnable. I suggest you start drilling - there are a lot of resources TLSrs swear by. Get Cambridge packets and start drilling.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Should I Postpone Until February?

Postby Rigo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:42 pm

Postpone.
Sit out this cycle.
Retake if necessary.

Ronnielol
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: Should I Postpone Until February?

Postby Ronnielol » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:54 am

Thank you all SOOO MUCH! I've decided to take the test in February, and possibly sit the next cycle out. I was just putting too much pressure on myself, and you've helped me realize it. Sorry it took so long to reply, Thanksgiving was hectic.

-MattM- I didn't even take test-day anxiety into consideration... thanks so much for telling me that. Thanks for the encouragement as well!

-Shakawkaw- I took a course at a local undergrad that I live close to. It was an alright class, and it really did help me, but I need more time to let it sink in. I really don't want to end up paying more money for law school than I have to, so it makes sense to wait. Also, I'm going to try and get the hell out of this house... Thanks, you've really put it into perspective for me.

-Dirigo- Thanks, I think that's the logical thing for me to do!


Thanks so much, everyone! You are all super helpful, and I really appreciate it!!

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:27 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2836
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Should I Postpone Until February?

Postby haus » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:39 pm

Keep in mind that the February test is undisclosed, so you do not get the benefit of getting to take a close look at your when the scores come out. Not the end of the world, but it can be frustrating.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests