Reading Comp. Drilling (Dec Retake)

dustybottoms7

Reading Comp. Drilling (Dec Retake)

Postby dustybottoms7 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:04 pm

So RC is definitely my weak link -8ish on PTs. I seem to not have as many issues when simply doing timed sections, but this may be because I am drilling with older sections. My question is whether you feel it is better to drill untimed for these sections, or to continue going with timed test conditions. I rarely do not finish in time, but this may be because I am rushing to get them all done, hence the large amount of missed questions. I've only got two more weeks left and if I can limit this section to under 5 problems missed, I've got a good shot at breaking a 170. Thanks for the tips!

jlk411

Re: Reading Comp. Drilling (Dec Retake)

Postby jlk411 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:16 pm

Maybe do some untimed drilling to beef up your skills, but if it's timing that is causing you to miss because you are speeding through questions you have to do timed sections to get used to that feeling of timing pressure.

dustybottoms7

Postby dustybottoms7 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 pm

jlk411 wrote:Maybe do some untimed drilling to beef up your skills, but if it's timing that is causing you to miss because you are speeding through questions you have to do timed sections to get used to that feeling of timing pressure.

i feel like I have set a good pace through the extensive timed sections I have taken and do not feel like I am rushing, but when going back I see stuff where I'm just like, wtf was I doing.

Dave Hall

Postby Dave Hall » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:28 pm

I say work untimed. The key to being fast at something is to be good at it. If you have a solid plan of attack, it's easy to see you getting better and better until you have no problem working through the whole section in time.

But if you keep banging your head against the wall doing timed sections, it's a much less efficient use of your time.

Imagine you play basketball, but you're not a very good shot. If you want to improve, you'll do so the fastest by spending lots of time on an empty court polishing your approach. If all you did was play in games, you might eventually become a better shooter, but you can see how much less efficient that would be as a way to get better. This is just like that!

Hope that helps.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”