Drilling Help!!!

rbrown0824

Drilling Help!!!

Postby rbrown0824 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:58 am

How do I time my drilling? Or do I?

musedreverie

Re: Drilling Help!!!

Postby musedreverie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:15 pm

rbrown0824 wrote:How do I time my drilling? Or do I?

First, I would try to gain accuracy and understand the fundamentals before I start timing. Once you've done that;

LR: I think 1 minute per question for easy ones and 1:30 mins for harder ones would suffice.

Game: 6 minutes for easier linear game sections and 8 minutes for more advanced ones.

RC: 7 minutes for passages with 5-6 questions, 8:30 minutes for those with 7-8 questions.

This is how I timed my LSAT drills. But don't start with a set time. The most important thing to do first of all is to recognise the patterns/reasonings before you force yourself into timing it

Good luck!

BP Robert

Postby BP Robert » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:47 pm

You should begin untimed, and really on progress to regular timed drills once your skills are ~100%. Meaning, you should focus on the fundamentals before you worry about timing at all.

When you do start timing your practices, I'd recommend always training for a lil under the time you'll have. For example, you should be giving yourself just 8 minutes for LG and RC passages, rather than 8:45.

Best luck,

Blueprint LSAT Prep

rbrown0824

Postby rbrown0824 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:26 pm

I'm pretty strong on fundamentals.....I'm averaging 165+ on PT's. I focusing on drilling the areas where i'm weakest in RC: -3/-7, LG ~3, and strenghten/weakening, justify the reasoning, and principle questions on LR.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:30 pm

rbrown0824 wrote:I'm pretty strong on fundamentals.....I'm averaging 165+ on PT's. I focusing on drilling the areas where i'm weakest in RC: -3/-7, LG ~3, and strenghten/weakening, justify the reasoning, and principle questions on LR.

A=/B if your untimed BR without looking at the answers at all until you've gone over the test again is 175+ then you're strong with fundamentals, if you score 165 timed, go over it untimed and only go to 168/170 theres still some fundamentals to be addressed

rbrown0824

Postby rbrown0824 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:46 pm

I actually hadn't been doing BR at all. I can see the value for games and RC, but I would hate to spend all that time on LR when I probably only missed two or 3 questions combined. I could be wrong, I'm no LSAT guru for sure, but with only 16 days til test day, I wanted to just tighten up on the areas where I know for sure I'm weaker. BR seems like it would waste alot of time. But again, i realize that i may be speaking from an ignorant perspective.....

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:23 pm

rbrown0824 wrote:I actually hadn't been doing BR at all. I can see the value for games and RC, but I would hate to spend all that time on LR when I probably only missed two or 3 questions combined. I could be wrong, I'm no LSAT guru for sure, but with only 16 days til test day, I wanted to just tighten up on the areas where I know for sure I'm weaker. BR seems like it would waste alot of time. But again, i realize that i may be speaking from an ignorant perspective.....

I mean I am not at the point where I am only missing 3 questions on LR total and if thats the case idk what the best way to approach BR for LR would be, but if your -2/3 total on LR you have a serious issue with LG/RC/both which still includes some sort of fundamental base. On every question there is only one right answer, with LG it is diagrammed, if you misread or misinterpret a rule or misinfer that can ruin your entire game so going over slowly and step by step should allow to find the mistake, if not theres a lot of work to be done. For RC its all there in the passage, if your going untimed and getting a lot wrong still theres something you're misinterpreting or something with RC that needs to be addressed... BR is huge and used for more than just LR (my original post also didnt mention LR, in general BR shows you flat out what you're having issues on, even going over the entire test, if you fully grasp 90+% of LR it should take seconds to go over the question)

MattM

Postby MattM » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:30 pm

Jgoods wrote:
rbrown0824 wrote:I actually hadn't been doing BR at all. I can see the value for games and RC, but I would hate to spend all that time on LR when I probably only missed two or 3 questions combined. I could be wrong, I'm no LSAT guru for sure, but with only 16 days til test day, I wanted to just tighten up on the areas where I know for sure I'm weaker. BR seems like it would waste alot of time. But again, i realize that i may be speaking from an ignorant perspective.....

I mean I am not at the point where I am only missing 3 questions on LR total and if thats the case idk what the best way to approach BR for LR would be, but if your -2/3 total on LR you have a serious issue with LG/RC/both which still includes some sort of fundamental base. On every question there is only one right answer, with LG it is diagrammed, if you misread or misinterpret a rule or misinfer that can ruin your entire game so going over slowly and step by step should allow to find the mistake, if not theres a lot of work to be done. For RC its all there in the passage, if your going untimed and getting a lot wrong still theres something you're misinterpreting or something with RC that needs to be addressed... BR is huge and used for more than just LR (my original post also didnt mention LR, in general BR shows you flat out what you're having issues on, even going over the entire test, if you fully grasp 90+% of LR it should take seconds to go over the question)

^This ....I can't say enough especially for the LSAT the importance of quality prep over quantity....BR has been a huge help as well as writing my own explanations as to why the CR was right and the other four were wrong....Doing 20 PT's and fulling reviewing them is much better than 35 PT's with a partial review

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”