When should I start preparing for the LSAT (sophomore)?

TarHeel7

When should I start preparing for the LSAT (sophomore)?

Postby TarHeel7 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:17 pm

Hello all! :D

I'm a sophomore (undergraduate) right now at a university that can be easily guessed from my username. I'd like to go to law school after college, and I'd like to know at what point all of you began preparing for the LSATs.

Warm regards,

TarHeel7

Clemenceau

Re: When should I start preparing for the LSAT (sophomore)?

Postby Clemenceau » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:27 pm

You have plenty of time. Enjoy college.

If you have some natural ability as a test taker, you should only need ~3 months to study for it

Make sure you're keeping your grades up, considering other professions that you might enjoy more than law, staying happy, healthy, etc etc etc. You have plenty of time before you need to worry about an LSAT

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:44 pm

also, don't go to law school until you have exhausted all other options

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:40 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nekrowizard

Post removed.

Postby Nekrowizard » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:49 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Nekrowizard on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:53 pm

I'd wait at least 4 years before you even think about starting to study for the LSAT. You have better things to do with your life in the meantime.

musedreverie

Postby musedreverie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:26 am

I love how everyone's persistently trying to reroute OP into not studying the LSATs and finding another career.

But yes, I agree with all others--you should enjoy life to the max before you even consider jumping into the shark-infested blackhole that is the LSAT. It sucks the happiness out of everyone's lives like nothing else. And time passes slower relative to everyone else's time when you're studying for it because it's so...boring, stressful and frustrating. So it literally is a blackhole.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:58 am

musedreverie wrote:I love how everyone's persistently trying to reroute OP into not studying the LSATs and finding another career.

But yes, I agree with all others--you should enjoy life to the max before you even consider jumping into the shark-infested blackhole that is the LSAT. It sucks the happiness out of everyone's lives like nothing else. And time passes slower relative to everyone else's time when you're studying for it because it's so...boring, stressful and frustrating. So it literally is a blackhole.

Naw, LSAT studying isn't nearly that bad and law school itself is ok (not sure about practicing, I'm still a student). But there are still much better things a person can do with their early 20s.

musedreverie

Postby musedreverie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:15 am

BigZuck wrote:Naw, LSAT studying isn't nearly that bad and law school itself is ok (not sure about practicing, I'm still a student). But there are still much better things a person can do with their early 20s.

Yeah, I'm sure law school is great... just that I had such a bad time with the LSAT, I'm traumatised by the experience lol

It's what filters out real men amongst men. or women.

lawstud24

Postby lawstud24 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:48 am

I took it in Sept. of junior year, after spending the summer of sophomore year studying. I think it was a great decision, and since I don't need to retake it, I never need to worry about LSAT again!
I recommend taking it as early as you want, if you're certain you want to go to law school. When you take it early, there's a lot less pressure since you have time to retake - and mental pressure can have a huge impact on score; it's better for your GPA since your courses are easier right now so studying won't interfere as much; and it leaves you time to focus on other important things in the summer before your senior year, like personal statements, LORs, internships, etc.

rdawkins28

Postby rdawkins28 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:23 pm

lawstud24 wrote:I took it in Sept. of junior year, after spending the summer of sophomore year studying. I think it was a great decision, and since I don't need to retake it, I never need to worry about LSAT again!
I recommend taking it as early as you want, if you're certain you want to go to law school. When you take it early, there's a lot less pressure since you have time to retake - and mental pressure can have a huge impact on score; it's better for your GPA since your courses are easier right now so studying won't interfere as much; and it leaves you time to focus on other important things in the summer before your senior year, like personal statements, LORs, internships, etc.

Nice. :D

I'm surprised the TLS drones haven't tar and feathered you for taking it that early. Nothing wrong with starting to plan for the LSAT early. That way you can assess where you are and how much studying you need. It also doesn't mean you have to study 10 hours a day. You can pace yourself comfortably and enjoy your undergrad years. And even if you change your mind and not go to law school, your critical reading and thinking skills might improve for having gone through the LSAT-studying experience. My son was a sloppy reader, the few times he actually read. He still hasn't taken the real LSAT yet (his current interest in law school is about 7 out of 10), but having done some prepping, his reading skills are slightly better.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:26 pm

musedreverie wrote:I love how everyone's persistently trying to reroute OP into not studying the LSATs and finding another career.

just trying to help

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:28 pm

fats provolone wrote:

just trying to help

Agreed, also make sure you have a marketable major

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:30 pm

3 months before the exam

logdog

Postby logdog » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:47 pm

alaird21 wrote:
fats provolone wrote:

just trying to help

What, no poli sci???

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:50 pm

logdog wrote:
alaird21 wrote:
fats provolone wrote:

just trying to help

What, no poli sci???

You're hilarious

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:09 pm

alaird21 wrote:
fats provolone wrote:

just trying to help

Agreed, also make sure you have a marketable majorget good grades & graduate & start awesome study habbits

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:14 pm

Jgoods wrote:Agreed, also make sure you have a marketable majorget good grades & graduate & start awesome study habbits

This is upsetting on so many levels.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:26 pm

GreenTee wrote:
Jgoods wrote:Agreed, also make sure you have a marketable majorget good grades & graduate & start awesome study habbits

This is upsetting on so many levels.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:30 pm

Jgoods wrote:
alaird21 wrote:
fats provolone wrote:

just trying to help

Agreed, also make sure you have a marketable majorget good grades & graduate & start awesome study habbits

You should still play odds in your favor

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Getting a marketable degree isn't a bad idea, especially if you don't do well on the LSAT.

I have a friend getting a biology degree, and he is SOL.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”