Lsat 71 Q 12 Logical Reasoning 1st section

fakeacct12

Lsat 71 Q 12 Logical Reasoning 1st section

Postby fakeacct12 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:08 am

Can someone please help me understand this question better. I read the solutions via Manhattan and Lsathacks but it really isn't making sense. What is wrong with answer choice C and D? and why is B better?

Thanks

Bigfish41

Re: Lsat 71 Q 12 Logical Reasoning 1st section

Postby Bigfish41 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:00 am

In order to help you understand the question "better," can you post your thought process? How did you break down the argument and what did you arrive at?

fakeacct12

Postby fakeacct12 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:15 am

Well I did read the stimulus correctly, I correctly identified the conclusion(melting earlier, less water to meet summer demand) and the support(temp increase)

my prephase was that the author takes it for granted that increased rain will lead to melting occurring earlier in the season and therefore less water to meet summer demand. Also author fails to consider that perhaps there is another factor(human intervention) or something that prevents the caps melting earlier.

So I hit the answer choices and worked wrong to right. Easily eliminated A and E. B C and D though were all pretty good in my eyes. I picked B because it strengthening the reasoning structure of the argument and made it more likely that the climatologist conclusion would be reached/more likely to occur. I did eliminate D because it talked about the rest of the world when the stimulus was only talking about the rocky mountains. But with C I dunno. Just liked B better. I checked Manhattan and other resources but they didn't explain why C was wrong. one person was trying to say there is some temporal relationship occurring but to me it looks like its just a prediction in the stimulus, nothing temporal like they stated on Manhattan. Overall, I am just interested in seeing what the community here has to say.

Bigfish41

Postby Bigfish41 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:55 am

I eliminated C because it doesn't say why there is less storable water. Maybe something else happened, melting of the snowpack isn't mentioned. We can't just assume that since it was a milder winter and less storable water, the snowpack was the cause. And in the stim. our conclusion is that the snowpack will probably melt. Whereas in answer choice B it specifically mentions that melting of snowpacks has led...

Eliminated D for the same reason, it doesn't strengthen the climatologist's claim that the snowpack will probably melt.

As for B) It as all the ingredients, it shows another scenario with same elements with the same outcome (same cause, same effect).

Dave Hall

Postby Dave Hall » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:08 pm

So, in (B), we're told that exactly the phenomenon we are predicting has occurred in other places. This doesn't amount to proof that our conclusion is true, but it offers strong support.

For (C), my big problem is that we're given no further indication why some areas have less storable water. Maybe it's because the water runs off in milder conditions (which is what I think you assumed, and which would help the argument). But the phenomenon could be due to any number of factors: maybe it's because the milder areas are located on steep mountain faces, and the colder areas are located in troughs in the mountains. If that's the case, then maybe you get more storable water no matter the temperature.

Plus, the fact that there are current differences within an existing system doesn't help us predict what will happen to the whole system once major changes occur (your ears are dry and are colder than the inside of your mouth, which is wet. Does that mean that if you're submerged in water, that being wet will make your ears warmer?).

For (D), I think you've already seen it—the chief difference is that (B) points to mountainous regions, where (D) does not. In this way, (B) is applicable where we have no evidence that (D) is salient.

Does that help?

fakeacct12

Postby fakeacct12 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

thanks

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”