Dealing with Flaw in Reasoning Questions

mandrewsf

Dealing with Flaw in Reasoning Questions

Postby mandrewsf » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:07 pm

Recently, I was checking the pattern of errors on my logical reasoning practice sections, and I realized that flaw in reasoning is by far my weakest question type: in my past ten practice LR sections, I have gotten at least one flaw question wrong on eight sections, while I have not made more than two mistakes on any other question type. I have mostly memorized the common logical fallacies (equivocation, evidence, appeals, etc.) and their corresponding answer forms, and I have also recently read a helpful article from PowerScore on solving flaw questions somewhat like a restricted form of weaken questions when I do not see the logical fallacy (which happens occasionally for me), but I am still making mistakes. I tried to work through the exact meanings of every answer choice on flaw questions and then choose my answers based on POE, but that has only been partially effective, and needless to say detrimentally time consuming.

Basically, what I am asking is, does anyone have advice for me on how to deal with flaw in argument questions?

Thanks!

Dave Hall

Re: Dealing with Flaw in Reasoning Questions

Postby Dave Hall » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:25 pm

mandrewsf wrote:Recently, I was checking the pattern of errors on my logical reasoning practice sections, and I realized that flaw in reasoning is by far my weakest question type: in my past ten practice LR sections, I have gotten at least one flaw question wrong on eight sections, while I have not made more than two mistakes on any other question type. I have mostly memorized the common logical fallacies (equivocation, evidence, appeals, etc.) and their corresponding answer forms, and I have also recently read a helpful article from PowerScore on solving flaw questions somewhat like a restricted form of weaken questions when I do not see the logical fallacy (which happens occasionally for me), but I am still making mistakes. I tried to work through the exact meanings of every answer choice on flaw questions and then choose my answers based on POE, but that has only been partially effective, and needless to say detrimentally time consuming.

Basically, what I am asking is, does anyone have advice for me on how to deal with flaw in argument questions?

Thanks!

Here's my general advice for dealing with Flaw questions:

The flaw of any argument is the fact that the argument has assumed some information. In order to succeed, an argument must move smoothly, building from one point to the next without gap or interruption. When an argument fails to provide sufficient evidence for its conclusion - when it assumes that some important piece of evidence is true rather than demonstrating that it's true - that argument has failed.

Often, an argument will indicate its flaw on the basis of a shift in language: If an argument begins by saying that Mechanical Engineering majors are astonishingly physically attractive as a group, and that therefore, they must be a successful dating population, then that argument is flawed. The flaw is that it has failed to consider that the physical attractiveness of a group may not indicate its dating prowess. One necessary assumption of this argument is the assumption that they physical attractiveness of a group has some relationship to that group's success in securing dates.

So, identify the shift in language, and you'll have found the shift in logic. That shift is where the assumption lives, and that assumed evidence is the flaw of the argument.

Hope that helps!

mandrewsf

Re: Dealing with Flaw in Reasoning Questions

Postby mandrewsf » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:36 pm

It definitely does! I can see it makes a lot of sense to look at flaw questions this way.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”