RC: To PEAR or not to PEAR

Aurelius85

RC: To PEAR or not to PEAR

Postby Aurelius85 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:33 am

Hey everyone,

I've been working on RC for quite some time now and I've seen great improvements in both accuracy and time. At the moment I'm honing my skills by working through one of the Cambridge RC volumes and before I began taking practice passages, I used the Powerscore RC Bible and the Manhattan RC manual to learn the basics an some methods with which to tackle RC. One of the important ideas/methods that has been recommended by all the materials I've used has been the importance of pausing at certain intervals in a passage, evaluating what I just read, anticipating what I will encounter subsequently, and then reassessing my expectations. Manhattan's acronym for this method is PEAR (pause/evaluate/anticipate/reassess) and although Powerscore doesn't specifically mention this by it's acronym, they do suggest that you pause and think about what you read and will read. Now that I think of it, the LSAT Trainer also mentions this method, though it doesn't use the acronym either for obvious reasons. Anyhow, I've been applying this idea to my method and I've seen drastic improvements in my comprehension, my ability to see the passage structure, the ease with which I can keep up with shifts in subjects, and my ability to identify the different roles that paragraphs/sentences play. However, I've also noticed that applying this idea is time consuming, especially if you notate. Now, just to be clear, when I do PEAR, I don't take a ridiculous amount of time (2 or 3 mins), I simply do a quick run through the ideas I've notated and where I think the passage is headed, and it takes me no more than 30 seconds. On average I can read a passage in about 2mins without notating or PEARing. If I notate or take notes but do not PEAR, getting through a passage comes to about 2:30-3mins. But if I notate and PEAR a passage, my time to get through a passage comes to a horrible 3:45-4:30mins since I PEAR after every paragraph, and that's only the reading. Personally, I feel its very valuable to PEAR a passage because I understand more and can get through the questions a little easier than if I just read and took notes. So therein lies my question, is it worthwhile to PEAR a passage or should I discard this method? Can any of you recommend something that can speed up this method or should I just focus on reading and notation? Perhaps there's something else I haven't considered that can help me understand the passage structure thoroughly yet not at the expense of my time? I welcome any and all ideas, plus any questions. Thanks

nygrrrl

Re: RC: To PEAR or not to PEAR

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:34 pm

Wait, this isn't about Resolute Pear? Nevermind.

Aurelius85

Postby Aurelius85 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:59 pm

nygrrrl wrote:Wait, this isn't about Resolute Pear? Nevermind.

No, sorry, it's not. I don't even know what that is.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:13 pm

Aurelius85 wrote:

I'm twice the "what" you'll ever be.

Aurelius85

Postby Aurelius85 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:37 am

ResolutePear wrote:
Aurelius85 wrote:

Sure, okay

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:39 am

Aurelius85 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Aurelius85 wrote:

Sure, okay

True story.

lsat_hopeful

Postby lsat_hopeful » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:57 am

Have you tried "pearing" without notating? I think notating can be incredible time-consuming, but pearing doesn't have to and it provides many benefits that make it worth it I think.

Try it. At the end of the day, it's best to just try a bunch of methods and see which one works best for you under timed conditions (after you have finished drilling and tried different approaches, since there is likely a learning curve for each approach.)

Good luck.

Aurelius85

Postby Aurelius85 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:36 am

lsat_hopeful wrote:Have you tried "pearing" without notating? I think notating can be incredible time-consuming, but pearing doesn't have to and it provides many benefits that make it worth it I think.

Try it. At the end of the day, it's best to just try a bunch of methods and see which one works best for you under timed conditions (after you have finished drilling and tried different approaches, since there is likely a learning curve for each approach.)

Good luck.

Thanks for the input. I'll try it and see if it helps. Your right, notating does consume a lot of time. Especially for me, I draw all sorts of lines and symbols that help me understand how different passage parts function and why they're there. By no means am I frustrated with my time right now, I know it takes plenty of practice and hard work to really perfect RC. Instead I'm confident that by eliminating one bad approach or incorporating one small skill I'll be able to destroy this section in no time. Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”